Two Wheel Forums banner

Am I damaging my bike?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  larryg 
#1 ·
I've never had the cam chain tensioners adjusted on my SV650S. Am I begging for a problem? It's so darned expensive to have it done and I don't even trust the local shop all that much. What's the going rate $100/hr? :eek:

Any suggestions?

#3 ·
ShanMan14 said:
I've never had the cam chain tensioners adjusted on my SV650S. Am I begging for a problem? It's so darned expensive to have it done and I don't even trust the local shop all that much. What's the going rate $100/hr? :eek:

Any suggestions?
Cam chain tensioners shouldn't need adjusting unless they have been converted to a manual style. Perhaps you are thinking about a valve clearance adjustment and those should be done according to the manufacturer's interval.

Althoug rare, there is the possibility of doing damage by not having the valve clearances checked regularly.

Larry

#4 ·
larryg said:
Cam chain tensioners shouldn't need adjusting unless they have been converted to a manual style. Perhaps you are thinking about a valve clearance adjustment and those should be done according to the manufacturer's interval.

Althoug rare, there is the possibility of doing damage by not having the valve clearances checked regularly.

Larry

I think you're right. The SV (early ones anyone) had noisy cam chain tensioners and I think that's what I was thinking of. You're right, I meant the valve clearances.

#6 ·
Need4Speed750 said:
how much does that normally run ?
I believe the SV has shim under bucket. That means you have to pull the cams to change the clearance. Considering you have two heads, two cam chains, two tensioners, and two cam covers to remove for inspection...expect to pay nearly twice as much as an in-line four cylinder even though you only have two cylinders. The real labor is in gaining access to check the clearance and then removing/reinstalling the cams if you have to make an adjustment.

I have not done a valve adjustment on an SV and I use a different pricing structure than most shops so I may not be the best source. Anytime I am dealing with shim under bucket, I quote a price to check the clearance and then I quote an additional price if they require adjustment. This way I am charging less if they are within spec and more if I have to pull the cams. Most shops will just have a flat rate so they make extra money if your valves are within spec.

I would expect it to take about three hours labor to check the clearance and another three to make an adjustment if needed. Again, this is just a guess as I have not done one yet.

Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.