Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am new here and was lookin for info on the 05 Ducati 749 series. I was checkin it out at the bike show along with the RC51, GSXR 6, and the R6. It will be my first bike so I don’t need the fastest one. I know squat bout a bike but how temptin they look when they pass me.

I stopped at a shop and asked about the 749 and the RC51.

Ducati
“Maintenance is EXPENSIVE. You need to live near a dealer that works on them. Youll see a lot in the deal though, getting worked on.”

RC51
“How much is it?”
“$14,500”
“Ok”

Few mins later another sales rep talking to another customer……….

“Just got it. 2005 model.”
“How much?”
Yellin across the showroom floor. “$12,500”

Site list it at $11,599. So did the tag at the show. Im gonna keep shoppin………

Anyone have any other good sites where I can get info on these?

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
First...welcome to TWF.

If this is going to be your fisrt bike, you don't need to be looking at the RC51. The R6, gixxer600 are 2 good bikes to look into. But I wouldn'y get a brand new one. We have posted on here before about ppl looking ot get a new bike for there first. Don't do it. Get a used bike and save some money and learn to ride a bit first. Then after you get some time under your belt...go out and get you a new bike.

Look at ebay or your local paper for a nice newer used bike to start on. Hope this helps. :dthumb:

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Also...click here to see a thread where someone asked for some advice for there first bike and we all told him what we think for the first bike. We have all on here for the most part have been riding for quite some time. I myself...13 years. You can take our advice or not, but atleast read it to see what we all think and go from there to make your own choice. :dthumb:

Be smart and always ride smart.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
If you don't know squat about bikes, then I would highly suggest (as I did in the other thread) to start small. I really think an R6, GSXR 600, etc. would be too much bike if you have no clue what you are doing. Bulldog has been riding dirtbikes for 8 years, so he MIGHT be able to handle a 600, but I don't even think that he should buy an R6 or the likes. I don't think he would be too bad off with the SV650S, even though I DID say I think he should start smaller. Those comments were made to him before I knew how much dirt experience he had. But for you, I would definitely suggest something more like a GS500 or a Ninja 500, and a used one at that. You can get a mid-nineties bike for around 2K or less, which would be excellent for a brand new beginner. Maybe even the Ninja 250 would work for you. Don't go too big, too quick. Please, for your sake, and for the sake of our insurance bills.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Several key phrases for you to ponder..

1. Welcome to TWF..we're glad you joined up!! :cheers:
2. Kawasaki Ninja 250 or 500
3. suzuki GS500F
4. Older Honda CBR 600 (f1,f2)
5. Take your MSF Course !!

:thumbs:

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Take it from a Duc owner!
DONT GET A NEW 749 FOR YOUR FIRST BIKE!:nonod:
I dont care if you are 30+ years old!
Take the MSF class first then deside what bike you like and find a used one.
Learn to ride then get what you wont!
Oh Yea Welcome to TWF :2cents:

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
jeeps84 said:
DONT GET A NEW 749 FOR YOUR FIRST BIKE!:nonod:
I dont care if you are 30+ years old!
Take the MSF class first then deside what bike you like and find a used one.
Lear to ride then get what you wont!
Oh Yea Welcome to TWF :2cents:

Now why would you want to go somewhere else when you can get this kind of first-hand info right here!

Welcome to TWF.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
Several key phrases for you to ponder..

1. Welcome to TWF..we're glad you joined up!! :cheers:
2. Kawasaki Ninja 250 or 500
3. suzuki GS500F
4. Older Honda CBR 600 (f1,f2)
5. Take your MSF Course !!

:thumbs:

Would an F4 also be a good begineer bike? I guess a CBR600RR wouldnt be one either.. :drool:

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
TrzVpr said:
Would an F4 also be a good begineer bike? I guess a CBR600RR wouldnt be one either.. :drool:
I'd have to check out the F4, but I know the CBR600RR is not a good beginner bike because it's right up there with the R6, GSXR600, etc. Stay out of the SuperSport category with first bikes. Stay in the realm of standard or sport tourer and 600cc or less. The lower your experience level, the lower the cc's you should get. Also, less experience requires an older, cheaper bike to start. But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Captain Morgan said:
I'd have to check out the F4, but I know the CBR600RR is not a good beginner bike because it's right up there with the R6, GSXR600, etc. Stay out of the SuperSport category with first bikes. Stay in the realm of standard or sport tourer and 600cc or less. The lower your experience level, the lower the cc's you should get. Also, less experience requires an older, cheaper bike to start. But that's just my opinion.

Yeah I knew the RR was a No-No for a beginner bike.. Just thought Id throw that one in there.

My main question was about the F4i. I noticed mention of the f2,f3 being good bikes, just wondering if the f4 would fall under the same category..

Also, Ive read here on TWF that you should wait after you take the MSF before choosing a bike. Does that mean at the MSF Course you will be able to ride the different bikes to make a choice you feel comfortable with?

Thx 4 da info.. :seeya:

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
TrzVpr said:
Also, Ive read here on TWF that you should wait after you take the MSF before choosing a bike. Does that mean at the MSF Course you will be able to ride the different bikes to make a choice you feel comfortable with?

Thx 4 da info.. :seeya:
Well, they aren't going to let you just "test ride" everything, but their bikes are small (usually in the 250 range), and that quote about waiting until after the MSF was to see if you feel comfortable on the smaller bikes. When I took the MSF, I was on a dirt bike. However, when it comes to turning, they don't really teach you the difference between riding on dirt and street because you are basically going to be riding on the street. I was on a dirt bike because several dealers donated bikes for the MSF course and one of them happened to be a dirt bike. The MSF teaches you the basics. If you want to gain more knowledge, then books such as "Total Control" and "Twist of the Wrist" are great resources. Those books have some basic concepts in them, but use the MSF to get to know the absolute basics first if you've never had any bike experience.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
600 F4's are very comfortable bikes, and pretty forgiving to new riders. They have more than enough power to keep you happy for quite awhile, but not a total beast machine that you can't handle it if your comfortable. The new 600RR's are beast rides and totally redesigned for more aggressive riding.

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
Monsta said:
Hello. I am new here and was lookin for info on the 05 Ducati 749 series. I was checkin it out at the bike show along with the RC51, GSXR 6, and the R6. It will be my first bike so I don’t need the fastest one. I know squat bout a bike but how temptin they look when they pass me.

I stopped at a shop and asked about the 749 and the RC51.

Ducati
“Maintenance is EXPENSIVE. You need to live near a dealer that works on them. Youll see a lot in the deal though, getting worked on.”

RC51
“How much is it?”
“$14,500”
“Ok”

Few mins later another sales rep talking to another customer……….

“Just got it. 2005 model.”
“How much?”
Yellin across the showroom floor. “$12,500”

Site list it at $11,599. So did the tag at the show. Im gonna keep shoppin………

Anyone have any other good sites where I can get info on these?
There is a Honda dealer in Georgia that has a new 2003 model for under 9000. I stopped by to pick up some chain lube and there it was, brand new, never titled, I think it was still dry. I almost bought it. I have 3 bikes now...Show up with cash in hand and you might score a real deal.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
jeeps84 said:
DONT GET A NEW 749 FOR YOUR FIRST BIKE!
I was filling up my CBR at a gas station last summer while the attendent was checking the tires on a Duc (I think it was a 749). A woman rider comes out of the rest room and thanks the attendent for filling her tires. She puts on her helmet and starts the bike. She stalls it the first time then starts to ride off in front of me when I flag her to stop. "Your kickstands down" I tell her. "Thanks" she said "I just got it and it's my first bike."

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I will stick to cars for now. I seem to get the idea to get a bike every year. Thanks for your input though.

"I'll be back...."

·
Banned
3,078 Posts
Monsta said:
I think I will stick to cars for now. I seem to get the idea to get a bike every year. Thanks for your input though.

"I'll be back...."
no no no no no please do get a bike just dont comit suecide :thumbs:

·
Registered
197 Posts
All of those are mighty expensive bikes to drop. And, statistically you have an EXCELLENT chance of dropping your first bike...

Definitely don't get a liter bike. I highly discourage you from getting a 600 supersport bike, like many others here have, too...

Look at CBR 600 F2s, F3s (even though they have a lot of power for a newbie, too), EX500s, or even a dual sport or standard to master the basics on first.

Oh, and where in MD are you from? If you're relatively close, I'd be happy to sit down with you and go over all of the basic reasons why you don't want to start out on a high performance bike. I'd also be happy to lend you a book or two covering lots of basics.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts