Two Wheel Forums banner

anyone done rear brakes...

2K views 46 replies 8 participants last post by  R1up0n1 
#1 ·
im doing them tom on my sv650. any loop holes i need to know about???

here are some pics of what i did today...

See less See more
#5 ·
What do you want to know about your brakes.
If it is just pad replacement, just take the pads off use a c-clamp to push the pistons back into the caliper and put new pads on. Reasemble the rear end and press the brake peddel. If you never lost fliud you wont need fluid. There also is no need to bleed if you do it this way. You see if you have a good hydralic system with no leeks. as your pads wear your fluid goes down but when you replace your pads to get them over the disk you need to push the pistons back for clearence and the fuild goes back up into the res, So no need to bleed. It is simple to do.

#6 ·
Earlzach said:
What do you want to know about your brakes.
If it is just pad replacement, just take the pads off use a c-clamp to push the pistons back into the caliper and put new pads on. Reasemble the rear end and press the brake peddel. If you never lost fliud you wont need fluid. There also is no need to bleed if you do it this way. You see if you have a good hydralic system with no leeks. as your pads wear your fluid goes down but when you replace your pads to get them over the disk you need to push the pistons back for clearence and the fuild goes back up into the res, So no need to bleed. It is simple to do.
thanks

#9 ·
First off, looks like you need to buy a swing arm stand...

I have many questions...
Why are you removing the rear tire to do the brakes? You don't have to, heck you don't have to remove them to do the fronts.

Why is your chain off? Did it have a removeable master link.

#10 · (Edited)
Are you going to get it back together in time to break it at the drag races tonight?? Make sure you get that rear wheel on straight and even so the chain runs true from sprocket to sprocket when you put it back on...use the markings on the swing arm. What shop manual did you use that told you to remove the rear end of the bike to do the brakes?? Please tell me you have a manual and are not just tinkering around with your bike...

While you have it apart...how about you clean that machine up?? It's pretty dirty, I can't believe you would be out in public with that mess...

#13 ·
haha.. sorry i forgot to mention that the reason i took the rear off was im getting a new tire on. :dthumb: oh and the drags are next fri.

#14 ·
Gas Man said:
Bee don't be so harsh... :lol: It isn't that bad. I have seen WAY worse... but it does look like the swing arm could use a little brake clean and a rag...

And yes, you need one of these!
and yes i will clean it today. btw what is that tool for??? ive got a chain cover that covers the whole top of the chain

#22 ·
SperosSV650 said:
damn. so what should i do to make sure that its perfect
Buy that tool or try the string method that I'm not even going to begin to try to explain. That pic of the vortext sprocket is what happens when you combine a poorly installed chain and a bad rear tire alignment! Teeth are GONE!

$22 is cheap for a tool that is as usefull as it is!!!

SperosSV650 said:
is this pin supposed to go behind the brake pad(like it is now) or does it need to go in front

I would say definately put it behind... in front would put it against the rotors! NOT GOOD!

#23 ·
Gas Man said:
Buy that tool or try the string method that I'm not even going to begin to try to explain. That pic of the vortext sprocket is what happens when you combine a poorly installed chain and a bad rear tire alignment! Teeth are GONE!

$22 is cheap for a tool that is as usefull as it is!!!

I would say definately put it behind... in front would put it against the rotors! NOT GOOD!
ok i leave it like that :dthumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.