Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AT&T has a plan for $30 a month. I'm paying more than that for LD only right now.

Looking for some opinions.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
I have heard some good and some bad about it. But the good is that the lond distances calls are all in the $30 package. But I think it makes it hard to be online and on the ohone at the same time. Depending on the speeds you get from your ISP provider.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
At first I thought you were talking about something for VD!!! :D :lol:

J/K!!

·
Registered
893 Posts
We decided to try it here at work for our outgoing phone line. I was very skeptical at first, but I absolutely love it. It is so awesome and waaaaaay cheaper. We're going to get it for home too. It definitely gets my :dthumb:

But we are also in Dover, DE, where not many people even know what a computer is, and our service is always very reliable. If you have a cell phone as a back up, you're always cool.

·
Registered
893 Posts
GSXR750DJ said:
I have heard some good and some bad about it. But the good is that the lond distances calls are all in the $30 package. But I think it makes it hard to be online and on the ohone at the same time. Depending on the speeds you get from your ISP provider.
The big part of the problem is how you configure the network equipment. The standard DLink TA (Terminal Adapter - the thing that you plug a telephone into) AT&T sends you acts as a DSL/Cable router and firewall, but only has a single ethernet jack on it (no built in switch/hub). It handles metering out bandwidth to the VoIP line and the rest of your network.

The installation instructions they give you tell you to plug your existing router into the Dlink TA ... this is not the best way to do it for a number of reasons. First, you end up stacking two NAT devices on top of each other (NAT is what allows you to use mulitple PCs/devices through your single IP that your broadband comany gives you) - this adds some overhead. It also puts two firewalls in place which makes port forwarding problematic. Number two problem is that because you've done this, the DLink TA sees a single IP requesting bandwidth (the old router), instead of multiple machines, and the QoS (Quality of Service) routines end up not giving enough and using it all for the VoIP line (when it's in use).

There's a couple ways around it, but the easiest is the get the new Linksys all-in-one wireless router / VoIP TA - (They have a version for AT&T VoIP and one for Vonage) the bandwidth management is much, much better this way. You're still going to see some slowdown on your internet connection when on the phone, but it should not be horrible - a VoIP line should only use 90kbps upstream, and maybe 200 - 300 kbps downstream tops.

The other way to do it is to reconfigure your existing router to only act as a switch and not a router, but you need to know a little about network and router configuration to do this. Or - if you don't need wireless, replace your existing router with a network hub/switch and plug it into the standard DLink TA.

(In my prior life I was a computer geek - I did network/Unix admin then moved to software development before deciding to bail out and be a motorcycle mechanic ... go figure).

- Brian Roach
- SpeedWerks.com

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have been using vonage for 6 months now. I got the $15 package. Bellsouth pissed me off, so that is why I switched. No longer have twisted pair to my house.

It has been absolutely 100 percent reliable and trouble free. And it has a ton of options that I was not getting with bellsouth.

Your results may vary

:luck:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts