Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know I'm like titled the "post whore" but I have questions...

My question is reguarding lids. I'm looking into the Scorpion EXO-700 and the Arai Quantum II. I know there is a large price difference besides that, um these are the things that I noticed.

I tried on the EXO-400 and there was a piece in the front of my nose/mouth that was like irritating the snit out of me (I'd wear a XXL). The Arai, I like better and I think it is a little more comfortable (I'd wear an XL).

The thing that I was looking at was the price difference and quality. I mean the EXO-700 is only $200 and the Quantum II is $500. This is my FIRST lid and the sales people recommend the Arai because it is better quality but since it is my first bike and lid, which do you think I'd be better off with?

Thanks,

G (Post Whore Jr.) **thanks to GasMan and DLITALEN :lol: :cheers: :lol:

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Well, it honestly depends on what you think feels right on your head. Don't let the price tag fool you, the scorpion is a good helmet. Buy whatever you think fits you the best.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Captain Morgan said:
Well, it honestly depends on what you think feels right on your head. Don't let the price tag fool you, the scorpion is a good helmet. Buy whatever you think fits you the best.

:iagree:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Captain Morgan said:
Yeah whatever this drunk dude said... I agree with.... I think?!?!?

:whore:

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
:iagree: As long as it fits your head... right...and you feel comfortable with the price....Get what's right for your...Head :lol:

·
Registered
964 Posts
Well do not let price be your only determining factor. It depends on what you are looking for in a helmet.

I think comfort is key. I wanted a light helmet that also offered the best protection.To me this was the Arai. The Arai also fit better than the other helmets

Shoei's are a little less than Arai and are a little heavier. Hubby likes his Shoei, but has complained on long long rides that is does get a little heavy. But, to him the Shoei fits better than the Arai.

Sorry I've never tried on a Scorpion

:luck:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, I am NO EXPERT on helmets!! I do have a Scorpion EXO-700. I know that the Arai and the Shoei are lighter and more expensive. They all have the same ratings as far as DOT and SNELL. So the protection should be the same, right? As already stated here, fit is the most important thing to look for. That said, the Scorpion fit me well. It has great features and I am extremely happy with it. I suppose I wish it was a bit lighter, but I am still not convinced how much I really would notice that going down the Freeway at 70 MPH. Just not sure. Good luck. Getting a new lid can be quite a task.

Ron

·
Registered
5 Posts
:withstupi

Ditto on the Exo700. I don't notice much windnoise, and in comparison to the Arai I had, it's really no heavier. The shoei never did fit right, so I can't really offer any input there.

Get what's comfortable.

Spoone

·
Registered
893 Posts
ront said:
I know that the Arai and the Shoei are lighter and more expensive. They all have the same ratings as far as DOT and SNELL. So the protection should be the same, right?
Actually, you can't assume that at all. DOT and SNELL are standards/tests, but there's nothing that says a helmet exceeds those standards rather than just meeting them. Most Euro and Brittish standards for helmet ratings, for example, are generally thought to be much tougher to meet. Some helmet manufacturers have had to make special US versions to meet SNELL because of how SNELL does their tests - all the whiole meeting or exceeding the Euro standards with their "normal" helmet. It's all a bit of a SNAFU in my opinion.

As already stated here, fit is the most important thing to look for. That said, the Scorpion fit me well. It has great features and I am extremely happy with it. I suppose I wish it was a bit lighter, but I am still not convinced how much I really would notice that going down the Freeway at 70 MPH. Just not sure. Good luck. Getting a new lid can be quite a task.
Again, fit is most important, but also the more expensive helmets/models tend to have better ventellation, comfort, lower weight, etc. I wear a really high-end japanese helmet that I'm glad I spent the money on - the weight, airflow, etc are loads better than the lower-priced AGVs I tried for a couple years after going away from wearing Arai (I like Arai helmets, but disagree with the business practices they adopted 3 years ago). This is not to say the AGVs were bad (crashed them, they worked great), but the one of have now is leaps and bounds better. AGV does have a high-end racing helmet now though that is really nice.

You won't notice the weight difference as much until you either race, or do LONG rides (say 300+ miles a day) where the weight tends to strain your neck muscles.

- Roach

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a Shoei RF700 and an HJC AC-10. The Shoei is definately lighter but I don't notice the extra weight even on a long ride. First long ride of the year my neck was a little stiff but now I don't feel a thing. I think I'm going to try a Scorpion next. Seem like a great lid for the money.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts