Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm somewhat short (5'6") and I have yet to find a back protector that's comfortable. I have an alpinestars bp, but if I properly secure the straps, it rides up and rubs the base of my neck and keeps my helmet from tipping back (which makes it difficult to look through turns sometimes). However, if I just slide the back protector under my leathers, without using any straps, it doesn't ride up at all. Is this unsafe and am I making the bp useless since it isn't strapped to my body?

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
since i dont know from experience, at using one in some fashion is better than nothing at all, and if it doesnt slide around or make you uncomfortable, then go with it, till you can get one that properly fits. Is it just that particular style of protector that does it, or do they all do that for you. ?

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Capt, my bp does the same thing...It sucks and so does wearing one! I'm all for protection and all, but why do I need a second/redundant bp? :wtf: My jacket already has one!!! If I burn thru my leather and the stock bp and need another bp to protect my back, then that is the least of my worries because I must be going 205mph... :lol:

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My impression is that it's supposed to keep your back from bending the wrong way, but I don't know for sure. All I know is that I have to have one for the track days. They don't require me to wear it a specific way, they just require it to be on.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Yeah it's a joke as far as I'm concerned...but I'll wait to see what Twisty says!!!

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Since I dont have a jacket yet..gas man :rolleyes: ..why is it that jackets dont have full back protectors like captain is talking about, already sewn in so theres no need for another one? :confused:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
They do have them in there! :wtf: That's what I'm saying!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
you both had me totally confused there, thats why I asked. I knew they had them sewn in like that, but it seemed like capt's didnt and then u said they did, and I was like :wtf: I got it now..chalk it up lack of sleep. :whistle:

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
you both had me totally confused there, thats why I asked. I knew they had them sewn in like that, but it seemed like capt's didnt and then u said they did, and I was like :wtf: I got it now..chalk it up lack of sleep. :whistle:

Go to bed and sleep. :D I think Capt is wearing an extra bp and like Gas Mand is saying...if you burn through one and your leathers...I dought the second is going to help much more at the speed you'll be going to burn throught that.

I know my jacket has it sewn in and I have no problem with them so far.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
GSXR750DJ said:
Go to bed and sleep. :D I think Capt is wearing an extra bp and like Gas Mand is saying...if you burn through one and your leathers...I dought the second is going to help much more at the speed you'll be going to burn throught that.

I know my jacket has it sewn in and I have no problem with them so far.

Thanks for the recap!! i already said, "I got it"... :lol: but I'll forgive you this time, next time it'll cost you chinese food for lunch at work.. :D

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

the BP is to prevent breaking your back, not road rash. and as for fit try the 661 pressure suit... has full upper body armor plus the back protect.. it sounds like you need one where the top doesnt go up so high with the protection, plus if u have a leahter jacket remember how it did the same (or was that just me?) mine got broke in and felt better, maybe the BP will be the same, try forcing your way into it for a few dyas of riding... but the 661 looks sweet and should be comfy to boot, its made for MX insteado f street so it should be more flexable being that u move more on a dirt bike.. may wanna give it a try, i know im ordering on this spring.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Heres a pic of it and it looks like it gives alot of protection for the money. :dthumb:

Price is around $179.95 Retail; Sale Price $149.95 Not bad for all that protection.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
But most of that is in your standard race ready leathers!! The BP is a joke and nothing but insurance BS!!

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
My jacket came with "pockets" to slip armor into. The jacket is lined with a mesh to hold Back, shoulder, elbow, etc protectors so they won't fall out when you take the jacket off. My BP rode up my neck until I rode a lot with it on and the mesh stretched enough to let it slip back.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I have an alpinestars BP and the standard padding in the leathers. However, as mentioned, the BP just wants to slide up unless I DON'T strap it to my body. The standard leather padding is fine and doesn't ride up at all, but the additional BP is what rides up and becomes uncomfortable. There are other BP's that don't use straps, so I guess it's okay to not use the straps on the alpinestars BP that I have. Hopefully I never crash hard enough to find out. Maybe I'll look up alpinestars contact info and send them a message.

Here is a pic of the style of BP that I have, plus a pic of the standard padding inside the back of the leathers.

·
Registered
893 Posts
A backprotector is used to absorb the forces of an impact during a crash. And trust me, if you're smart enough to wear one, I give a big thumbs up. I have tested mine on the track, and for track riding, you are required to wear one. I bought a really nice back protector because having all of my spinal cords in place during a crash is important to me. I wear a Knox backprotector and it's super comfy. It has straps that you wear over your shoulders and a "belt" that wraps around your waist. It doesn't move at all in a crash and you can barely tell it's on under leathers. The Knox also has alot more protection (wraps around the sides to protect your kidneys, etc.) and it's well worth it. They run about $175 and I give them a huge thumbs up. Bohn is an imitation of the Knox and are not CE certified. Just some info for you guys.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info. I'll check them out. If I like it, I'll probably throw my alpinestars BP on ebay.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
That jacket is beastly looking, and for only 150.00 !! I'd sport it no problem!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Captain Morgan said:
Thanks for the info. I'll check them out. If I like it, I'll probably throw my alpinestars BP on ebay.
No problem. I'm not sure if I have them up on the site yet, so if you don't see them. Let me know and I'll email you a picture and some information. The only issue I have is that I am too skinny, so I had to add a little velcro to the belt so it would wrap far enough around me, but most guys don't have that problem. That's the sucky part about being a woman and trying to race. Try to find a pair of boots in a size 3 mens! :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts