Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any suggestions on what the best beginner Bike might me that still looks cool and isnt so powerful that one glitch from inexperience will send you to the sidelines early?

I have heard the SV650 is great.

I have also heard that an older Katana is great because it still looks ok, but is way underpowered compared to todays bikes.

What are your thoughts.

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
Aaron said:
I have heard the SV650 is great.

I have also heard that an older Katana is great because it still looks ok, but is way underpowered compared to todays bikes.

What are your thoughts.
My starter bike, I still have: SV650S. I think it was a great bike to learn on, not too much power but enough for a thrill. It's lightweight and flickable, if you drop it you can pick it up. :shock: Not a lot of expensive bodywork and small enough that an intimidated newbie won't be afraid of it.

I know guys who started on Katanas, but I can't speak to their experience.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
It depends, have you ridden before at all. . at least on dirt?

I grew up riding bikes and atvs on dirt, so my first street bike is my F4i and I think it's perfect.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Katana's are great bikes for beginners, but also there are tons of riders who swear by them who have decades of experience. It's a great all around bike..you can ride it all day, and not feel like a pretzel when you get off, but also its flickable enough to pull up the front wheel, and get on it in a heartbeat and she'll respond perfectly, when your ready to do so. I'd highly recommend them to anyone, new or experienced rider, and you can find the mid 90's - 2000 for under $4,000...in great condition.

Older CBR 600's work great too, Suzuki Bandit 500's are ok, Ninja 500(prev. EX500)...just a couple suggestions...

·
Registered
741 Posts
Best starter bike is anything you don't mind dropping ;)

Any older 600 is a good choice.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
Older CBR 600's work great too, Suzuki Bandit 500's are ok, Ninja 500(prev. EX500)...just a couple suggestions...

I vote for the EX500. I had one for about 2 years. Not too mention they have a great track rep. They are also one of the best bikes for the Gap. :iagree:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts