Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the two-wheel world and had a question. I've been doing a fair amount of research yet wanted the input from experience personnel so that is why I turned here.

My question is as follows: I'm looking into getting my first bike and although everyone that I know says go cruiser, I don't particularly care for them. I'm debating between the Honda CBR600RR and the Triumph Daytona 650 for my first bike.

I'll tell you my reasons. First, I'd choose the Honda because of the extensive amount of after-market parts and upgrades that are readily available for it. And that would be the only real reason. Now my reason for the Triumph, well that is a little "pathetic" as I've been told. I would choose the Triumph simply because it is not a bike that is abundantly seen on the roadways in the U.S. I also would rather that bike because it is roughly 50cc's larger, however insignificant that may be.

Anyone got any good insight for me on this topic?

Thanks in advance to everyone,

Grafixx

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
First welcome to TWF. :twfrox: Now we have had a ton of info on your first bike and what you should pick and ride. I don't think the Triumph 650 was ever in any of thoses topics. Now the 600RR may be a nice first bike. Tell us a bit more abput yourself. have you been riding dirt bikes before or anything elsae or is this going to be your first 2 wheels?

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Welcome to TWF :twfrox:
We also need your body size to give a true opinion! Hight & weight. :2cents:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
WELCOME!! :twfrox:

At least you seem to be not STUPID!! 600cc is as big as most newbies should ever have.

The honda 600RR is alot of bike. Good choice though. Very good looking, lots of power, and great handling.

The Triumph, I would say "NO F'in WAY!!" Reason! Triumph's being English made, just like Ranger Roover's, are Brittish JUNK!!! Step away from the Triumph and never look there again!!!!

Don't forget to check into the Yam R6 and the Suz SV650S (if you want a nice v-twin). But there are many threads here on TWF on this subject.

And like they said above...your weight and height could play a role in our suggestion!

·
Banned
3,078 Posts
its all about the sv650s!!!!!!!!! :dthumb:

·
Banned
3,078 Posts
jeeps84 said:
Great choice Bull but, You already know that! :wink:
ADMIN or MODS please get rid of the :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: jeeps is in love with it :lol:

but yeah great choice and i wouldent turn back

:dthumb:

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:

Ok, my experience. Well, not too much on a two wheeled machine. I've ridden quads before and a dirtbike once. Other than being a passenger, no solo time on a two wheeler.

My body, well. I'm 68" (5'6" for those not in the military) and of athletic build, weighing in at approximately 170lbs.

Thanks for the information on the Triumph, see I knew you guys were smart! Well, I appreciate the information everyone. Thanks for all your feedback.

Thanks again,

G

:thumbs:

·
20,168 Posts
Any 500 or 600 should make you happy!
The twins are a little easier to learn on but you will have to show a lot of respect and self control for the RR or like. :2cents:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Grafix, stick around... I know that many others will key in and give you their thoughts... glad we could help a little!

:twfrox:

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I wanted to thank all of you again who have posted responses to my question. I'm kinda open minded about the whole idea so I'd appreciate any and all feedback for anything and will continue to search around in the TWF topics for more interesting topics for me to read up on.

Oh, although I was forewarned about the Triumph, it is a much cheaper bike than all of the other middleweights. Suggested retail is only $8k. While the 600RR is up at like $8,800. I was also thinking about the 600F4i. Anyone have any feedback on that bike since it's still a 600cc and priced only at $8,200?

Thanks again EVERYONE for all your advice and non-bias opinions/advice/concerns.

Thanks,

:twfrox: G :hug:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
i would say the f4i but i could be wrong. with no seat time on 2 wheels really its a tuff choice. but i must say i like the looks of an rr alot more. but an RR is gonan be a racer. a$$ in the air and handlebars down. lol just go to the dealer and sit on them and pick which one you like. and im going to say buy a set of frame sliders imediately wehn you get the bike, recommend sato or vortex. but get them. lol

·
Registered
941 Posts
600RR is a good started. My brother started on it last year and I've been on it a bit too. Handles great and I think is a great starter bike. Has good power but not out of control either. My vote is the Honda 600RR.

·
Registered
941 Posts
also, try and get an 04. Since the 05's are out, they'll move the 04's cheaper. That's what my bro did last year. Same bike anyway.

·
20,168 Posts
I think the RR is better looking but for the price difference I still would go with the F4i. It takes most newbie's two or three seasons to even get close to riding the F4i to its capabilities.

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
Grafixx01 said:
Well, I wanted to thank all of you again who have posted responses to my question. I'm kinda open minded about the whole idea so I'd appreciate any and all feedback for anything and will continue to search around in the TWF topics for more interesting topics for me to read up on.

Oh, although I was forewarned about the Triumph, it is a much cheaper bike than all of the other middleweights. Suggested retail is only $8k. While the 600RR is up at like $8,800. I was also thinking about the 600F4i. Anyone have any feedback on that bike since it's still a 600cc and priced only at $8,200?

Thanks again EVERYONE for all your advice and non-bias opinions/advice/concerns.

Thanks,

:twfrox: G :hug:

I looked at both extensively before I bought the F4i...The differences between them are very small...if you are going to use it on the street, go F4i I decided when I bought mine, I was not going to be racing it or banging it up on the track, so I didn't need the pluses the RR has over the F4i. The F4i is about 500 cheaper

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Yeah, the F4i would be fine...but what's $500 in the grand scheme of it all...not much. Go for the F4i if you have to due to $$$, but if not the RR will serve you just as good and you won't have the desire to do such a small upgrade and maybe that will keep you on the one bike longer... my :2cents:

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,183 Posts
Do you have to buy new? If not, I suggest lookin at used bikes, try to pick up an early 00's or late 90's 600, they aren't as focused as the new breed, but still have plenty of get up. I think they would be much more forgiving for a newer rider.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wanted to buy a new bike because I know what has been done to it and what hasn't. That way I know that everything that is done to the bike would be my fault. This way I don't have to worry about things going wrong and it would be under warrenty from the dealer/manufacturer so if anything should go wrong, for a newbie, I wouldn't have to worry about it.

Thanks for the tip about the frame sliders. Actually, you read my mind because that was the first thing that I was going to purchase. I mean, sheesh, it ain't like I'd need a helmet or anything, I'm more concerned about hurting the bike! Just kidding. I'm thinkin' about the german brand helmet, forgot the name but starts with an "S" and some gloves.

Anyone know or hear about these "kevlar reinforced" jackets? Any good? Indifferent?

Thanks again everyone for the opinions, advice and all together knowledge about everything concerning sportbikes. I think this has just became my favorite forum!

Thanks again ALL TWF members,

G :twfrox:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts