Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not talking cubic centimeters, I mean physical size. I guess that everyone has noticed that today's superbikes (R1, ZX10R, etc) have shrunk down to the same wheelbase as 600's. I sat on all of them at the motorcycle show and they are a tight fit. I'm not that much bigger than average, but most of those bikes have no leg room.

The bikes that fit me best were the sport tourers. The busa, FJR1300, Blackbird, and the ZZR1200 fit me perfect. I really liked the ZZ and found a write-up in the June 2002 Motorcyclist mag that said it takes over for the old ZX11.

That issue also tested the four superbikes, R1 954RR, 9R, and GSXR1000. Here's what I found. The ZZ makes 87 ft.lb. at 4500. The GSXR made the most, 75 ft.lb. at 8250. Torque is what you want for the street, but what about HP? The ZZ made 145 at 9750. The Gixxer made 144 at 10250.

Which is the better street bike? Well, the one that fits me of course. But it seems that the manufacturers are making the bikes smaller for lighter weight, but they only fit a narrow part of the population. I'll read about the sportbikes, but my next bike will be a sport tourer.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Yamaha FJR has had some pretty good writeups for sport touring.
Personally I'd buy a Busa and slap some hard bags on it. :yesnod: :thumbs:

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,183 Posts
One of the things I love about my hawk. It's not tiny! Keep your eyes open at the CW show fella's, and watch...... Half the people that will sit on the sportbikes will either look like the moon swallowing a sattellite or a monkey humpin a minibike...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agreed, but then i saw the light....

I used to own a GSXR 750 back in the day (like 10-11 years ago), and i was only 180 pounds and i always felt as though the bike was a bit on the big side for me.

This past September when i started looking for a bike again, i found out the same thing, that all the bikes seemed small. I ended up with a new GSXR 750 and at first i felt like an olive on a toothpick, because now i am much bigger at 250 pounds. But now that i have [somewhat] learned the capacity of the bike, i truly enjoy the performance that a small, light bike can deliver. Every ride i feel as though it gets better too.

So maybe before you cross the bridge into the sport tourer market (unless thats totally your thing, i mean they are cool too) take a closer look at your favorite superbike, spend alot of time test riding it and sitting on it, you may come around...I did

1 - 4 of 4 Posts