Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine taught me to blink my brake lights prior to actually applying the brakes. This give advance notification and basically directs an inattentive driver behind you (hopefully) into realizing you're braking.

I don't see many other riders doing this, so I wanted to present that here as a topic of discussion. Does anyone else do this? I figure we're hard enough for people to see, and this is something I can do help minimize the risk of being rear ended.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Yes, I do it all the time..having some aftermarket blinkers, like mentioned in another thread, is a great idea too. But yeah, I also blink them a couple times, especially when some cager is following on my tail. :mad: Many of us have bikes with aftermarket tail sections, and therefore alot of times, the tail / turn signal lights are less visible, which makes it all the more difficult for cars to see us so any advantage we can give ourselves is a plus :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Haven't taken the MSF course huh Shan? :D

Yes, I do, and even still I'm watching my mirrors until the cars behind me are at a stop.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I do it when there is someone behind me, but I don't do it all the time. I've thought about getting the aftermarket automatic blinker as well.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
ShanMan14 said:
No, is that something they teach you?
Yeah most MSF instructors will tell you that. And like said before, most blinker integrators have this option and you can buy a different piece that will do just blinking on your tail light. It will start with a slow blink and get faster and faster then go solid....

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
ShanMan14 said:
Yes, I believe so. Also check out Keith Code's books, Twist of the Wrist 1 and 2. Those are mostly for racing, but they teach you a lot about bike control, weight transfer, etc.

I took the MSF course, and then 6 months later I took it again on my bike for the hell of it. It takes a day and people I know that have been riding for decades even learn from it. By all means take it. :thumbs:

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is another little tactic I'm trying to develop into a habbit. I noticed on my first rides with a buddy that I was having a hard time seeing his brake/blinker lights when I followed him, and I was making an effort to constantly look for them.
So I figure if someone who is paying attention is having a hard time seeing them, imagine how it is for a car. So I've taken to giving 5 or 6 blinks before I engage the brake.
I will also sit up straighter in the seat when I start to slow down. I'm hoping the change in body position will also alert the driver to look at me a bit more closely to see what's up.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Yeah, its definately worth the time, and riders of all experience levels benefit from it greatly...really helps enforce/reinforce things that you may not think about all the time when riding, and techniques you can use for braking, staying visible etc. :thumbs:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a modified undertail with my signals integrated in to the tail light. However, I use the Clear Alternatives LED lens. It has two 2" circles with about 40+ LED's.

Very bright and there is no confusion when my brake lights are on.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
If your bike uses the 1157 brake light/tail light bulb, the 2357 bulb has the same lumens for the tail light, but the brake light is 25% brighter. Draws almost the same amount of amps, but the service life is shorter.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
ShanMan14 said:
The course and the riders manual teaches and tells you this...for me it was also one of my questions on my test. :)

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
BOUCE!!!

Man does :twfrox: there is soo much good info in the old threads!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts