Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,263 Posts

:)

I think it depends on who you talk too..they definately look better, thats for sure, but also seem to be much more sturdy and less likely to wear out/tear off from the stem.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Braided lines on older bikes? Definitely! Over 20 years ago I put Russell braided lines on the front of my Suzuki. Changed the fluid to silicone at the same time, and have never changed it since it's still clear. Brought the brakes from scary to above marginal. Ferodo pads also helped. I don't think that newer bikes need braided lines, but they look nice.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Got the stainless steel braided and new synthetic brake fluid on my 9R. They're nice and once you get use to them, they don't seem to touchy. The touchy factor is what takes some time to get use to. There is no give in the brake lever. IT'S ALL BRAKE!! Not sure if I'll do it again or not. Just doesn't seem to be much need for it on the street.....

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
So why does the fluid stay clear and in good useable condition longer with stainless, than conventional brake lines? Or does it depend on switching the fluid to silicone also?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I wouldn't trust brake fluid that hasn't been flushed in 20 years...braided lines or not. That said, I prefer the feel of braided of lines. I even use them on my car.

Larry

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Re: braided lines. Before changing lines, I would change brake pads to one of the HH pads from EBC or DP. I have DP pads on my CBR and love them.

Re: silicone brake fluid. I'm the original owner of my GS 1000 and back then changing the lines, pads and fluid was almost required. Silicone brake fluid doesn't absorb water and won't ruin paint. Water in brake lines is what ruins most calipers. Harley's use silicone as do the custom bike makers. That's the purple fluid the American Chopper boys put in. They made it purple colored so you won't accidently add regular brake fluid to it. They don't mix and the old brake fluid has to be completely flushed out before changing to silicone. I use regular DOT 5.1 in my Honda, and for newer bikes that get the fluid changed often, it would be good enough.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Well, they make alot of colors in brake fluid as well. The color is to help you know when you're done flushing the brake system. It is a common practice with cars...

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
So speaking of the cost of em, how much $$ is average ?

:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts