Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what percentage of front vs. rear you use. I actually wore through a set of rear pads before the front. :leaving:

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
I use both, mostly front.
I seldom have a bike long enough to change the rear pads.
I have changed numerous front pads.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I use both all the time except for slowing for turns at which I typically use the rear only. I replaced both sets of pads on my older (95) bike just for routine maintenance (got it ready for the wife) but haven't had to for my current ride (03).

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I use to do the same thing...if you do a lot of stop-n-go riding (traffic) and use the rear to stop at lights they will wear quickly. I have since found myself using more front brake in traffic.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
bumblebee said:
guilty of trail braking
:lol:
I seem to use my rear breaks more often then the front... tho' I have only lock up my rear breaks twice... but I have no problems using my front when needed...

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Depends on the riding conditions... in traffic I use the rear more than in the twisties... but I like the rear..it's a usefull tool!

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
I use both. The rear is very useful to me, helps control the SV front fork. That thing is easily overwhelmed. It makes me better though, good practice keeping the bike settled when things get quick.

·
Banned
3,078 Posts
JK_DILLA said:
I use both. The rear is very useful to me, helps control the SV front fork. That thing is easily overwhelmed. It makes me better though, good practice keeping the bike settled when things get quick.
:dthumb: amen to that brotha ....... def tha front when needed but just use the back when i dont need to stop quick..... but i practice once in a while usiong the front in case i need it natrually in any circumstance :yaewn: :lol: but the hardest thing for me was not locken that bad boy up and takin the turn sideways like in tha dirt lol jk but it sounds fun :dthumb: :lol:

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm with JK and Bull on the SV. Rear brake mostly when just slowing the bike to help keep the front from bobbing quite as much but I always use the front when I either need to slow up quickly or when I know I'm coming to a complete stop.

I should be getting my new front springs in the next few days though, so I'll see then how the front end behaves...that may change how I use my brakes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
For me, it's usually 80% front 20% rear...

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
i know im prob not right but i only use rear in traffic, but if im flying around a mountain in the twisties i only use the front.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
90% front 10% rear.. I was using 50-50 before I went to Grattan now I favor the front more as the back only gets you into trouble.. Don't have much use for it now..

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
ok so maybe im right about what i do then, i dont brake in a turn either. only right b4 n then in the turn n as soon as i feel it catch n im good a little more gas

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
trail braking into the turn, maintenance throttle through the turn to keep the bike stable (power to the rear wheel) and punch it when you see the exit..

Surprised no one said brakes, who needs brakes? lol... Oh wait Twisty hasn't posted yet..

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
actually come to think of it, i usually dont use much any brakes i jsut down shift like a muther

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
zx636r said:
actually come to think of it, i usually dont use much any brakes i jsut down shift like a muther
You can thank your slipper clutch for that.

Braking into a corner i use some rear. Im usually on the throttle before i completely let the front brake go. Is this wrong? It really makes the deceleration to acceleration transition much smoother but am i working against myself?

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Brakes are so over rated!!

There ya go MP!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Sorry JK Dilla i am a year off from the slipper, they put them on the 05 n mines an 04, n yes im really pissed that i am a year off from having a slipper clutch. i couldent imagine downshifting 2 gears n not having any wheel hop. instead i have to give gas when i down shift.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts