Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have to read some on my own also but i was just curious b/c captain led me to realize the hard runing break in might work also

so what do you think is the right way to break it in
1: the manuel
2: the hard riding ((Dyno) way
:bonk:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,335 Posts
bulldogdefensivetacl said:
well i have to read some on my own also but i was just curious b/c captain led me to realize the hard runing break in might work also

so what do you think is the right way to break it in
1: the manuel
2: the hard riding ((Dyno) way
:bonk:
Well, it doesn't have to done on a dyno to be done hard. I'll post that link that I found in here so that others can read it and see what they think. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,394 Posts
Captain, I saw that once before, but the guy says not to break-in the bike easy like the manual says. Here's what my 15-year-old manual says for break-in on my bike:
1. "Never lug the engine."
2. "Maximum continuous (my underline) engine speed during the first 600 miles must not exceed 5,000 rpm."
3. "Drive briskly, vary speeds frequently and use full throttle for short bursts only."
My 76 Jeep manual said the same thing (except for the 5,000 rpm) and I have a quarter million miles on the engine with good compression.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,335 Posts
No Worries said:
Captain, I saw that once before, but the guy says not to break-in the bike easy like the manual says. Here's what my 15-year-old manual says for break-in on my bike:
1. "Never lug the engine."
2. "Maximum continuous (my underline) engine speed during the first 600 miles must not exceed 5,000 rpm."
3. "Drive briskly, vary speeds frequently and use full throttle for short bursts only."
My 76 Jeep manual said the same thing (except for the 5,000 rpm) and I have a quarter million miles on the engine with good compression.
Yeah, my manual doesn't actually mention varying the speeds, but that's something that I've known for awhile. The R6 manual says to "avoid prolonged operation above 7000 RPM for the first 600 miles and above 9000 RPM from 600 to 1000 miles." It doesn't say squat about keeping the engine below those rev points. I definitely varied the RPM's over the course of my 100 mile trip today and while I ran it up to 10K a couple times, I never kept it above 7000 for more than a few short bursts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,335 Posts
twisty said:
In order to seat the rings you need to ride the bike how it is going to ridden.
Well, I hope I haven't ruined it by riding the way I did. But like I said, I didn't completely baby it. After this first oil change, it will get a little more of a work out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
break it in the wrong way and you'll b sorry.. follow the manufacs instructions, and let them deal with it if something happens. better to be safe than sorry
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,147 Posts
Seat the rings are only part of break-in, Bearings, too need to be seated and seasoned so spinning, hot crank won't damage them...same for the heads...most moving parts are in the heads. Most damage not caused just by revs, but revs and heat on new parts. they need to be seasoned and settled into place. Captain, you are doing the right thing, run through a good workout, just don't lug or max it out. It's like stretching before physical exertion...get everything lubed, and ready before you ride it like you stole it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,333 Posts
twisty said:
Good point but my way has never let me down yet.

It may have never let you down but your bikes have been down. LOL Sorry, low blow. :dthumb: :lol: :lol:
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
twisty said:
Good point but my way has never let me down yet.

First off, Bull, this is a question for the ages!! Almost everybody you talk to will give you a different POV!

I tend to go somewhere between Twisty's way and the manufacture way!

The most important part to a "break in" is in the oil change! Regardless how much you beat on it or how you decide to break it in, change the oil ( and filter, DUH) alot during the first 2000 miles!!! VERY VERY IMPORTANT!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,333 Posts
twisty said:
Hey that was low, I thought we were boys and you go hitting me like that? :skep:

Why am I hearing you are going to the Dark side. You getting a Yam?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,333 Posts
So is it good-bye gixxer or what. Did you get it just for an extra track bike or something to play with? Say you are not leaving the gixxer behind. Say its not so.
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
Hey take this to his Yam thread!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,335 Posts
Gas Man said:
I tend to go somewhere between Twisty's way and the manufacture way!

The most important part to a "break in" is in the oil change! Regardless how much you beat on it or how you decide to break it in, change the oil ( and filter, DUH) alot during the first 2000 miles!!! VERY VERY IMPORTANT!!!!

That's pretty much what I'm doing as well.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top