Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, got a question..., I ride in Indy/Detroit, and it's starting to get cold; thus, the rear is slipping a little more in the corners, no matter how long I warm them up. I haven't been to a track day yet to learn about this - so, what's the best way, while cornering, to bring the rear tire back under you??

I don't know if I should let off the gas, brake front, brake back, lean upright a bit..., I usually get out of it by braking slightly on the front, but I was wondering if there's something else I could do? Maybe steer a bit into the corner? Counter-steer harder while picking it up a bit? I dunno..., any advice/help from experienced/knowledgable riders?

Thanks,
dave

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
the resident WOS guys and other track junkies we have onboard here would be better apt to answer ur question..however, I would like possibly sitting back on the seat alittle more, shifting ur weight a bit, might help out. just a thought I had though.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
First off let me say that, if I haven't already and I probably did you have made the right selection of bikes - good job. Here is some problems with the cold tires and turning - 1. You let off the gas and you lose your mometum - no good. 2. You trail brake (apply front brake) and you load the front fork losing grip in the back. 3. Back brake should never be applied in the turn unless you stand it upright - that is a real good way to low side it. So what is left? Steering - yeah that helps to a point. Giving it throttle is the only way to go and get your back tire back up under you. You should be throttle on in the turn anyways - not wide open but enough to keep power at the rear tire which maintains a bike stability. So giving it some gas should answer your question. Of course going into a corner way too hot on cold tires during this weather you can forget all that and just pray.

I would highly recommend you read this book: Sport Riding Techniques: How To Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety, and Confidence on the Street and Track by Nick Ienatsch.

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,183 Posts
Don't forget to check your tire pressures often! The changing temps have drastic effects! I checked mine last week and then again today, and today being warmer than when I filled em, I was up about 5-6 lbs in each tire.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
pickle.of.doom said:
Don't forget to check your tire pressures often! The changing temps have drastic effects! I checked mine last week and then again today, and today being warmer than when I filled em, I was up about 5-6 lbs in each tire.
Great point - yes check the pressure first and foremost!

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
A big number 1. is give it gas. Brakes are not our friend when is comes to motorcycles. Brakes unsettle the bike and cause more stress on the cold tires. If you feel it slip give it gas. Trust me, its the only thing I like about the cold and rain, It is so ez to brake the rear end. When in doubt give it gas!!!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
r6dirtydave said:
Hey all, got a question..., I ride in Indy/Detroit, and it's starting to get cold; thus, the rear is slipping a little more in the corners, no matter how long I warm them up
I ride all winter, and I've ridden on tires that were almost completely bald and didn't slip. Other times the rear slipped out on a corner was when there was sand, ice (I dropped it that time), wet manhole cover, wet vinyl cross-walk, and a transmission-fluid spill. If you gas it hard, it could slip, but you really don't want to do that. Could be the tires. Metzeler's warm up very fast.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info guys..., appreciated. No worries - the tires may warm up, but the road won't..., need them both for great handling. I was thinking of trying out new tires, I don't really like the stock DB208s I have - but I'm not blaming the problem on that. Gotta a hook up for Corsas down here in Indy, but those will be for next season.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts