Two Wheel Forums banner

Browns' Winslow to undergo knee surgery

2K views 39 replies 7 participants last post by  Gas Man 
#1 ·
And now they tell us what we already new...another squid bites the pavement...

BEREA, Ohio (AP) - Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. reportedly injured his kidney and liver while attempting stunts on his high-powered motorcycle last month. He will undergo surgery Tuesday on the right knee he tore up in the accident.

Winslow tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his knee when he crashed his motorcycle into a parking lot curb at 35 mph. The 21-year-old was hospitalized for nine days after being thrown over the handlebars.
In his first interview since the accident, Winslow told the Akron Beacon Journal that he lacerated his liver and kidney, bruised his right shoulder and cracked a bone in his upper right leg in the crash, in addition to the torn knee ligament.

He said all of his injuries have healed except for his knee. He added he was aware that riding a motorcycle is listed as a hazardous activity in his contract.

"I'm grown. I still have to live my life," Winslow told the newspaper. "I did know the circumstances behind it, but I'm still learning. I'm young. You think you're invincible. You think nothing's going to happen to you. It was a mistake."

On the opening day of Cleveland's minicamp, Browns coach Romeo Crennel said Winslow will miss the entire 2005 season - the first time the team has been allowed to reveal that information because of federal privacy laws.

"Hopefully he'll have a good repair," Crennel said, "and we'll get him back on the field at some point, whenever that is."

Wearing a brace on his knee and a backward Cleveland Indians' cap, Winslow watched intently from the sideline as the Browns practiced.

Now that he has missed a mandatory team event, the team can begin asking for a portion of the $4.4 million bonus he was paid in March. The Browns have not yet informed Winslow that they will ask him to return some of the money.

Based on his experience with other players, Crennel said Winslow will likely need nine months to recover from the operation. At the time of his accident, Winslow was still rehabbing a broken right leg that he suffered in his second game as a rookie.

"He is back to square one," Crennel said. "He'll be where he was last year, having to rehab an injury. Hopefully at this time next year he'll be back on the field. Hopefully we'll have a player then."

Winslow, who bought the motorcycle in April, said he is going to be back and told the Beacon Journal he has no desire to play anywhere else.

"My back's up against the wall," he said, "and I'm going to get stronger."

Cleveland traded a second-round pick to move up one spot and select Winslow with the No. 6 overall pick in the 2004 NFL draft. But Winslow, who briefly held out of training camp in a contract dispute, made just five catches before breaking his ankle while trying recover an onside kick in Week 2 at Dallas and missing the final 14 games.

"He's a good friend of everyone in here," said tight end Steve Heiden. "I've got nothing but positive things to say about him."

Winslow has expressed remorse to Crennel and his teammates for the motorcycle crash, and also told the Beacon Journal he regretted what happened.

"You know, I am sorry for what I've done," he said. "A lot of people have motorcycles, but since I got hurt, I'm sorry."

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
money does not buy invincibility...With great rewards come great responsibilities...something today's young people don't seem to understand. Michael Jordan is the perfect example. In his interview with Greg White he said that no matter how much he loved motorcycles, he couldn't even look at one when he was playing, because he knew he would be on one.

#7 ·
Gas Man said:
Well maybe, but the problem is that you got these young kids (lower 20's) making millions and screwin it all up over somin stupid!
That is true. But then again, professional sports has become all about the money anyways. I mean, like wouldn't it be nice if the salary cap for ALL pro sports was like $250,000 a year? I mean, that's what the president of the United States makes, granted with MANY, MANY, MANY perks but still it ain't like pro sports players don't get free cars, huge discounted houses, etc.

If they lowered the salary cap to like that level, then people may actually want to play for the love of the game and not solely for the money. How long has it been since you HONESTLY heard a player say that he/she plays for the love of the game and for their fans? I'm talking like sports where they get paid $500,000 or better ?

#8 ·
Grafixx01 said:
That is true. But then again, professional sports has become all about the money anyways. I mean, like wouldn't it be nice if the salary cap for ALL pro sports was like $250,000 a year? I mean, that's what the president of the United States makes, granted with MANY, MANY, MANY perks but still it ain't like pro sports players don't get free cars, huge discounted houses, etc.

If they lowered the salary cap to like that level, then people may actually want to play for the love of the game and not solely for the money. How long has it been since you HONESTLY heard a player say that he/she plays for the love of the game and for their fans? I'm talking like sports where they get paid $500,000 or better ?
WTF :crazy:
If an employer is going to pay you $5 million a year for your skills, would you turn it down? Owners are guility ones, not players ;)
Big deal Winslow crashed on his bike, its only money out of his pocket.
Using logic posted to this thread, any bike rider who has family to support better not be riding motorcycles.

#9 ·
jetskifast said:
WTF :crazy:
If an employer is going to pay you $5 million a year for your skills, would you turn it down? Owners are guility ones, not players ;)
Big deal Winslow crashed on his bike, its only money out of his pocket.
Using logic posted to this thread, any bike rider who has family to support better not be riding motorcycles.
Well Duh!! Some people have go out and work to support their families, they don't get to live off Daddy's money. For most people, a crash and injury like Winslow's, where they couldn't work, could cost them their jobs, homes, just about everything...Many insurance companies won't pay if you get hurt on a motorcycle...Not too many families can afford 30 to 50K in medical bills...Do you practice being dense, or does it just come naturally??

#10 ·
bumblebee said:
Well Duh!! Some people have go out and work to support their families, they don't get to live off Daddy's money. For most people, a crash and injury like Winslow's, where they couldn't work, could cost them their jobs, homes, just about everything...Many insurance companies won't pay if you get hurt on a motorcycle...Not too many families can afford 30 to 50K in medical bills...Do you practice being dense, or does it just come naturally??
:iagree:

#12 ·
bumblebee said:
:scratch:
Mojority of riders who ride risking, jobs, home take that risk just like Winslow did ;)

#13 ·
bumblebee said:

That's why I'm planning on living off my $150,000 wellfare check! :wink: :lol:

#14 ·
jetskifast said:
:scratch:
Mojority of riders who ride risking, jobs, home take that risk just like Winslow did ;)
So what you're saying is that there is a huge majority of squids out there willing to risk millions of dollars in wages to get a few pieces of fun.... UM OK!

#15 ·
Gas Man said:
So what you're saying is that there is a huge majority of squids out there willing to risk millions of dollars in wages to get a few pieces of fun.... UM OK!

Well, that could be true. I know two people that got litre bikes or larger as their first bike, having never been on one either. One, with a 'busa, flew across the road, hit a guard rail sending the bike into the trees and it pretty much snapped in half. That was the day he picked it up from the dealer on his way out of the dealer parking lot!

Another, well he was trying to go down the highway at like 150+ and well, lost it, that slid into the cement median and probably slid down the highway some like 200+ yards, along with him.

So yeah, there are people out there that are squidtards doing stupid things with their money.

#16 ·
Gas Man said:
Worse, huge mojority of people willing to risk family security riding bikes :mad: If I had my way, to get motorcycle license you must have proof of full unlimited medical coverage. Along with insurance policy to privide for your family if you are not financially secure.
Now who's more stupid Winslow who already has $millions. Joe biker with wife at home along with two kids. With limited or no medical insurance, no accidental insurance????

#17 ·
jetskifast said:
Worse, huge mojority of people willing to risk family security riding bikes :mad: If I had my way, to get motorcycle license you must have proof of full unlimited medical coverage. Along with insurance policy to privide for your family if you are not financially secure.
Now who's more stupid Winslow who already has $millions. Joe biker with wife at home along with two kids. With limited or no medical insurance, no accidental insurance????

Is that a trick question?

#19 ·
jetskifast said:
Wished it was.
Mojority of riders need to take responsiblity for risks that go along with bike riding :dthumb: Most riders not looking at big picture. :nonod:

I do, that's why when I got the insurance for my bike I also got a $25,000 life insurance policy. Although I know it won't bring me back, at least any thing that needs to be done will be able to be done between that and my trust fund.

#23 ·
jeeps84 said:
We will all kick the bucket sooner or later.
Today, tomorrow or 50+ years from know.

True, so true. That's why I like my dads and my philosophy of "Why save money when you can die in your sleep?" I mean, don't get me wrong, I do save, but I just don't see the point in like having thousands and thousands in the bank and when I see something I want, I don't buy it cause I'm "saving". Hell now, I'm gonna buy it!

#24 ·
Grafixx01 said:
True, so true. That's why I like my dads and my philosophy of "Why save money when you can die in your sleep?" I mean, don't get me wrong, I do save, but I just don't see the point in like having thousands and thousands in the bank and when I see something I want, I don't buy it cause I'm "saving". Hell now, I'm gonna buy it!
You will be broke for ever!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.