Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it legal to drive in between two lanes on the highway??? everyone was doing it but there were hella guys pulled over so i wasent sure if it was for that or not??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
893 Posts
bulldog said:
is it legal to drive in between two lanes on the highway??? everyone was doing it but there were hella guys pulled over so i wasent sure if it was for that or not??
It's legal to split lanes in CA, yes.

WHEN it's legal is open to some interpretation. The law used to read that it was permissable as long as the motorcycle was not going over 10mph faster than the other vehicles while not exceeding the speed limit, but that was changed to something along the lines of "As long as it's done in a safe and prudent manor", which leaves quite a bit of grey area up to a cop.

- Roach
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,790 Posts
I wish this legal in all the other states. I still do it during rush hour, or construction zone. I just hope no one opens their door on me one day! that might leave a mark.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SVupON1 said:
I wish this legal in all the other states. I still do it during rush hour, or construction zone. I just hope no one opens their door on me one day! that might leave a mark.
yep lol :bonk:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,876 Posts
SVupON1 said:
I wish this legal in all the other states. I still do it during rush hour, or construction zone. I just hope no one opens their door on me one day! that might leave a mark.

That would suck. I did that today on the highway between two cars. Some guy in a Toyota Supra wanted to race down the highway. I split a Ford Explorer and a Impala (luckily not a cop). Then he got around them, then I was behind two 18wheelers. He pulls up next to me and says, "Go ahead, split them!" So I did when they moved all the way over to the sides of their respective lanes. Stopped at a gas station, he pulls over, told me I was nuts. I was like, "Well geez, you ain't the first person to tell me that one in my life!"
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bumblebee said:
you aren't nuts, you are careless and dangerous
is there another way to be?
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
I don't share Bee's sentiments at all!

Bull, I think Roach got you covered. I will usually go for the shoulder vs between the cars, if it possible. That is usually a great deal safer!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,687 Posts
passing on the shoulder and right side period is ALWAYS illegal in Cal...

But yeah Bull, at GP EVERY BIKE was splitting lanes all the time.. i love going there ofr that... nothing like being at the flow of traffic in Stockton at 80 and passing two tiny cars at 100 splitting em.. like 4 feet between the cars....
But gotta be carful doing it, and only go if u are compleltey comfy.. i asked a cop the law in monterey and he told me to call CHP cuz he didnt know the law...lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,886 Posts
I rarely pass people on the highway illegaly but sitting in traffic, I'm all over the shoulder getting to the front or anywhere there is slow traffic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,876 Posts
bumblebee said:
you aren't nuts, you are careless and dangerous

Is that for me Bee? Cause I've been to Florida, I know how they drive down there. So sayin' I'm nuts ain't that bad when people in Florida make right hand turns from the left hand turning lane and vise versa. Now that is just :screwy: :crazy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,897 Posts
SpeedWerks.com said:
It's legal to split lanes in CA, yes.

WHEN it's legal is open to some interpretation. The law used to read that it was permissable as long as the motorcycle was not going over 10mph faster than the other vehicles while not exceeding the speed limit, but that was changed to something along the lines of "As long as it's done in a safe and prudent manor", which leaves quite a bit of grey area up to a cop.

- Roach
CHP officers, tell me they can give ticket splitting lanes exceeding 5 MPH faster than flow of traffic, not exceeding speed limit.
Officers also tell me they never give splitting lane tickets, unless bike driving in reckless manor.
Bay Area been splitting lanes over 20 years, 15 MPH to 20 MPH average speed of lane splitting above flow of traffic. Never have recieved ticket, gone by CHP cars no problem. Have yet to hear from anybody in CA get lane splitting ticket.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,147 Posts
Grafixx01 said:
Is that for me Bee? Cause I've been to Florida, I know how they drive down there. So sayin' I'm nuts ain't that bad when people in Florida make right hand turns from the left hand turning lane and vise versa. Now that is just :screwy: :crazy:
They don't drive any worse here than in Texas...At least here, if you get into a fender bender...it doesn't become a foot race to the border...
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
10,104 Posts
bumblebee said:
They don't drive any worse here than in Texas...At least here, if you get into a fender bender...it doesn't become a foot race to the border...

Is that a politcally correct statement? :scratch: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,876 Posts
bumblebee said:
They don't drive any worse here than in Texas...At least here, if you get into a fender bender...it doesn't become a foot race to the border...
Hey now, they don't make a run for the border. Why do that when they probably don't have insurance or a license. But then again, that can be said for ANY state in this country so you can just put that towards Texas! I've SEEN FLORIDA drivers in the act, so I have first hand knowledge! :cheers: :dthumb: :lol:

They are worse than the stereotype of us NY drivers! I got people here in El Paso, Colorado Springs and Georgia that want me to show them how to drive like a NYer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,687 Posts
i know at GP they were giving lane splitting tickets left and right.....i htink monterey made a million $ in tickets that week.
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
I know that I lane split like a MOFO today here in Michigan... I hate traffic and just use it as a good chance to dice it up!
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top