Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've noticed something lately with my riding that has me a bit confused. When cornering, I've found that in some cases, my actual SPEED is less important to making the turn than my GEAR. For example, there is a corner I hit where I can nail the turn at 35 in 3rd gear revving around 5500 - 6500 and have just fly right through but if I try to take the SAME turn at 35 in 4th gear, reving around 4000 or so I can't lean the bike over as far and take the turn wide.

Or is this something in my head where I don't FEEL I can lean over as far without the torque generated by the higher revs? :screwy:

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
i would say thats normal, i always am down shifting b4 my turns, just makes it stick better i think, this is one for twisty n the other racers, but i would have to say it would have somehting to do with weight distribution maybe.

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Lower gear means more power to play with.
Gravity is a biotch and a higher gear will make the bike fell like it is falling or drifting.
Putting more power to the ground with lower gear and throttle control helps level the bike and put the traction to the big tire.
Its hard to explain but you always want to be in the power curve of the motor when in a turn.

It just gives you more control.

·
Registered
20 Posts
35 mph in 4th gear? I would think that's a bit too tall of a gear to pick. You need a bit of extra power to combat additional frictional losses in the turn, and with such tall gear the bike just doesn't pull through, and effectively slows down a bit. Another words, it just feels uncomfortable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts