Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always felt that one bike just can't fill all of my riding needs. While I only have one right now, I try to use it for everything.

There are times I like to take trips, but a crotch rocket isn't good for that. I've done it... and more than once. It's painful. I'd rather have a sport-tourer for these trips.

In the twisties, my SV can't be beat. It's perfect for that and around town.

On the track, you almost need something setup for that you can leave alone all the time.

So, IS there a bike that can fill all of these needs? I don't think there is one that can perform in all areas the way I'd expect.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yes... My Tuono would work beautifully as a "do it all INCREDIBLY well" machine. However, I don't want to make it that way. Too much effort involved with changing setups and tires all the time for me...

Hense I have the Tuono for the street and the Gixxer for the track. Besides, I prefer technical tracks where the Tuono just has too much power...

The Gixxer might never have its street plastics put back on it. I'm even considering turning in its tag and dropping insurance on it. The spare set of wheels I have will just have another set of Dragon Supercorsas ready to go rather than street tires mounted... Not sure yet... It is kind of nice knowing I have a "backup" bike in the garage if need-be. Though, the XR is street legal, too. A set of 17" wheels with street tires sure would be fun on that thing...

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
If you want the best of both worlds..get a sport-tourer, it can handle those longer excursions, as well as be fun hitting the twisties or zippin thru traffic.

With that said, I'd like to have a second bike as well, gimme a pure, ball$ out sportbike to have fun and play around in at the track or just for some hard riding in the twisties....like a ZX10, yeah I'd be happy with that. Then keep the sport-tourer handy as well.

actually, a 3rd bike would be nice... would love to have a dirtbike again!! stevnmd's off roading thread got me inspired. :dthumb:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
twisty said:
I can go all day on the Gixxer's. The only thing that hurts after a long day of riding are the outsides of my knees from dragging them all day.

would we expect any other answer from the TwistMeister ? :dthumb:

but Twisty, if somebody put a gun to your head and said, buy something other than a gixxer, what would it be ? *gulp* :wink:

·
Registered
604 Posts
I think two is the ideal. I want one for sporting and short jaunts, and a cruiser for the longer road trips.

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
would we expect any other answer from the TwistMeister ? :dthumb:

but Twisty, if somebody put a gun to your head and said, buy something other than a gixxer, what would it be ? *gulp* :wink:

I would a Aprillia Factory. And having two is good Idea. But I would never own a cruiser or a tourer. I have some for the street and some for the track. I would maybe buy Triumph Tiger but you would have to give me a good deal Since I'm Irish and hate Britts.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
ShanMan14 said:
I've always felt that one bike just can't fill all of my riding needs. While I only have one right now, I try to use it for everything.

There are times I like to take trips, but a crotch rocket isn't good for that. I've done it... and more than once. It's painful. I'd rather have a sport-tourer for these trips.

In the twisties, my SV can't be beat. It's perfect for that and around town.

On the track, you almost need something setup for that you can leave alone all the time.

So, IS there a bike that can fill all of these needs? I don't think there is one that can perform in all areas the way I'd expect.
Obviously you people have never rode an R6 or R1 if you have to ask this question - not only will the one bike do it for you but it will leave you itching for more. If you want a "tourer" drive a cage or something. But if you want a street bike - R6 or R1, a track bike you say? R6 or R1. A highway bike maybe? R6 or R1. Anything you can think of, except maybe a 1,500 jaunt to Tampa which like I said use a cage dumba$$, you got it. Forget the rest and ride the best - Yamaha.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
With that said, I'd like to have a second bike as well, gimme a pure, ball$ out sportbike to have fun and play around in at the track or just for some hard riding in the twisties....like a ZX10, yeah I'd be happy with that. Then keep the sport-tourer handy as well.
First off, :dthumb: to N4S for calling for a 10R.

But I'm going to have to go out for a long shot! I know I'm going to get cursed for saying so but I'd love to have a BMW tour or GoldWing for a mile stomper. Heck trailer my 9R behind a GoldWing to the GAP!

I know this will be against the norm here but I think it would rock!

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Gas Man said:
First off, :dthumb: to N4S for calling for a 10R.

But I'm going to have to go out for a long shot! I know I'm going to get cursed for saying so but I'd love to have a BMW tour or GoldWing for a mile stomper. Heck trailer my 9R behind a GoldWing to the GAP!

I know this will be against the norm here but I think it would rock!
Dude, if u ever get a goldwing and turn into one of those snobby wingers, I will personally come up there and kick ur arse!!!!

Someday when Im ready to retire, I'd like to have a Wing though myself, the comfortable ride is unmatched by any other touring bike on the planet..but I dont know though, I dont know if I could see myself ever actually admitting getting old enough to warrant having one..thats why sport-tourers are so great..best of both worlds.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
See I knew you guys would bust my balls for it. But Goldwings are the best tour bikes ever. On my next real vacation with the wife, I'm going to rent a Goldwing instead of a car. That way we can still travel comfortably and carry luggage!

The only other type of bike I would have for a third, would be a nice chopper. That would also rock!!

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Gas Man said:
See I knew you guys would bust my balls for it. But Goldwings are the best tour bikes ever. On my next real vacation with the wife, I'm going to rent a Goldwing instead of a car. That way we can still travel comfortably and carry luggage!

The only other type of bike I would have for a third, would be a nice chopper. That would also rock!!

well just about being all kinds of a traitor today arent ya.. :smash:

If im gonna spend 50,000 + on a bike, it wouldnt be a chopper, unless I had sooooooo much money that it didnt matter...

that being said...I do like the OCC bikes though, they are definately one of a kind..

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Well you can get a chopper locally at these shops in your area for alot cheaper than $50K...that is just for those "I'm better than everybody else" bike designers.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Gas Man said:
Well you can get a chopper locally at these shops in your area for alot cheaper than $50K...that is just for those "I'm better than everybody else" bike designers.
yeah thats true..but im sorry dude, I just cannot see u on a chopper!!! :D

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Shan, I know exactly what you mean. I have flashes through my head where I sell my vette and subaru and buy a 100,000 mile warranty Kia, then fill the rest of my garage with bikes. :here:

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Gas Man said:

I do not know this guy. I never knew this guy. I don't claim any affilation to him or his so called club. I am a member of an entirely different organization. A gold wing?!??!?!?!?!? Dude I would rather you would display that gay avatar that you had then do that and that is saying ALOT!!!!!!!!!!! Just buy a Geo or Neon instead - same thing right?

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
double2000r6 said:
I do not know this guy. I never knew this guy. I don't claim any affilation to him or his so called club. I am a member of an entirely different organization. A gold wing?!??!?!?!?!? Dude I would rather you would display that gay avatar that you had then do that and that is saying ALOT!!!!!!!!!!! Just buy a Geo or Neon instead - same thing right?

the geo, ok I'll agree with u there..but I got a neon... :smash: but yes I see your point..do you think he's so over the edge that his brain is getting fried ? It cant be midlife crisis yet! isnt there a law that WOS members cant turn into wingers or choppers... :skep:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
The goldwings are great bikes, the hands-down, no doubt best touring bike on the planet....but I just cant see me actually coming down off my sportbike high and going to just a straight touring ride...sacrifice way too much in performance for me...I know u can't compare the 2 bikes by any means..but its 2 different styles of riding nonetheless...just that one doesnt appeal to me at this point. :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts