Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
thats probably a good question for larryg or big kahuna..I dont know for sure, but I sure as hell wouldnt chance it, unless it was absolutely positively necessary.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Personally, I've never done it. I've heard both sides, people have done it with no problems and others that would never take the risk. I guess it depends on how you ride, if you ride really aggressively, then I would probably just replace the tire. It's much cheaper to do that then pay more down the road if a blowout does occur and you end up damaging yourself or the bike.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have installed plugs in mc tires and have not seen a failure. The only kind of plug I would use is one that is installed from the inside. In addition, I wouldn't recommend it for highly spirited riding or sustained high speeds.

Larry

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
larryg said:
I have installed plugs in mc tires and have not seen a failure. The only kind of plug I would use is one that is installed from the inside. In addition, I wouldn't recommend it for highly spirited riding or sustained high speeds.

Larry
hey, WB larryg! havent seen ya in awhile..

so how exactly does that fix-a-flat stuff work? how long is it supposed to hold ?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:

so how exactly does that fix-a-flat stuff work? how long is it supposed to hold ?
Thanks, I was out of town for a week for a family reunion. It was kinda nice not having a cell phone or computer for a week :cheers:

Anyway, NEVER EVER EVER (did I stress that enough) use fix-a-flat unless you absolutely have to. First of all, most of the time it doesn't seem to work anyway. Second, it leaves this nasty smelling rotten chocolate milk kind of crap that gets all over the place when you go to change the tire. Some shops will charge you extra for the cleanup because it is soooo nasty. Not to mention (IIRC) the label on the can even states there is a chance for explosion of the fumes.

Larry

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
larryg said:
Thanks, I was out of town for a week for a family reunion. It was kinda nice not having a cell phone or computer for a week :cheers:

Anyway, NEVER EVER EVER (did I stress that enough) use fix-a-flat unless you absolutely have to. First of all, most of the time it doesn't seem to work anyway. Second, it leaves this nasty smelling rotten chocolate milk kind of crap that gets all over the place when you go to change the tire. Some shops will charge you extra for the cleanup because it is soooo nasty. Not to mention (IIRC) the label on the can even states there is a chance for explosion of the fumes.

Larry

thanks for the update and info Larryg. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
The fact that most bike shops won't let a bike out of the shop if it's got a plugged tyre kinda suggests that they're a bit dodgy and you shouldn't usde them, but that's just the bike shop covering their arse from any public liability claims...
As far as I'm concerned plugged tyres are the only way to go as I can get them VERY cheap from the bike shops that don't let them out of the shop...
Having said that I'd never ever run a front tyre with a plug...

·
Registered
408 Posts
zedhead said:
The fact that most bike shops won't let a bike out of the shop if it's got a plugged tyre kinda suggests that they're a bit dodgy and you shouldn't usde them, but that's just the bike shop covering their arse from any public liability claims...
As far as I'm concerned plugged tyres are the only way to go as I can get them VERY cheap from the bike shops that don't let them out of the shop...
Having said that I'd never ever run a front tyre with a plug...
I have never plugged a front tire and I use a judgement call when plugging a rear tire. Of course, the safest way to go is with a new piece of rubber.

Larry

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
My K1200RS tool kit comes complete with plug kit with CO2 cylinders. BMW recommends using plug kit for temp fix only.
IMHO I would replace tire as soon as possible, my safety is worth more than cost of new tire :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:

Had somebody stick a knife in my rear tire sidewall of my bike. Fix-a-flat sealed 1 inch slice for 30 miles to dealer for tire replacement.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
jetskifast said:
Had somebody stick a knife in my rear tire sidewall of my bike. Fix-a-flat sealed 1 inch slice for 30 miles to dealer for tire replacement.
FIX A FLAT....in a bike....OUCH!! NOT A GOOD IDEA! Fix a flat is never the best idea in any tire. Glad to hear you got a new tire asap but a FYI for others.. That crap turns hard on the inside of your tire and rim. If you leave it in there it will throw your balance off and will take a grinder to get it all off the inside of your rim....

As far as plugs go. Don't use them on the car, definately wouldn't use one on the bike. Maybe ina pinch to get home but that's it! They can ruin your tread. Your tread moves and seperates and moves some more as you go down the road but that plug doesn't...causing the problems...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Gas Man said:
plugs can ruin your tread. Your tread moves and seperates and moves some more as you go down the road but that plug doesn't...causing the problems...
I don't agree... plug made from same kind of rubber as the tyre, moves around in exactly the same fashion as the tyre. If it didn't then it wouldn't fix the flat!

Have ridden plugged tyres in ALL conditions at all speeds and had no problems whatsoever, but I do accept that it's my choice and I would not TELL someone else to use a plugged tyre... but that's mostly cos I get plugged tyres for nothing and I want to keep on using free tyres! It's MY choice, don't knock me for it...

·
Registered
408 Posts
zedhead said:
I don't agree... plug made from same kind of rubber as the tyre, moves around in exactly the same fashion as the tyre. If it didn't then it wouldn't fix the flat!

Have ridden plugged tyres in ALL conditions at all speeds and had no problems whatsoever, but I do accept that it's my choice and I would not TELL someone else to use a plugged tyre... but that's mostly cos I get plugged tyres for nothing and I want to keep on using free tyres! It's MY choice, don't knock me for it...
I think the bigger issue is whether the belts were damaged by the puncture or plugging process. I have actually abused a plugged rear tire on a dyno and couldn't get it to fail but that doesn't mean I am going to recommend it. As long as you are aware of the potential hazards and are willing to take the risk, free is good :D

Larry

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
would definately, severely hamper my confidence level, soooo..... no thanks. ..but again, whatever floats your boat :)

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
twisty said:
Yeah, I dont think I could trust a plugged tire. In order to ride well you "HAVE" to trust your tires. They are the only part of your bike that is acutally touching the ground. If your tire fails, your in for one hell of a ride.
Yeah, I think that would suck and stuff!!! Speaking of tires, I can't wait to get my Michelin Pilot Powers on my bike....

As far as my idea on the plug in the tread. I may not be wording it well. However, I have been told that idea from about every tire store on this green planet. That is why the big stores (cars) Discount Tire and Belle Tire quit doing plugs. They ruin the tires...but it's only hearsay. I didn't run my own study. That would be more for Twisty...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.