Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cleaned the carbs this morning. My CBR uses Keihin's. First I cleaned the piston slides and bores. The pistons are plastic and they seem to get varnish on them, which prevents the slide from moving smoothly. I ride the bike almost every day, even during the winter. After doing the slides, I sprayed carb cleaner through the air passages, and held open the choke and sprayed through there. I use some Vaseline in the groove that the lip of the diaphram seats, to hold it while I put the spring and cap over the diaphram.

After doing all four slides, I tested the pistons by lifting them up and letting them fall. Worked much smoother and fell with a snap instead of a thud before cleaning. Then I turned the carbs over and cleaned the float chamber jets and set the floats. One was low.

The worst part was taking off the 32 phillips-head screws. Only two of the 32 have hacksawed-slots where I've stripped the heads. I use my left hand to turn the screwdriver, while my right hand, right shoulder, and right chest push down on the screw. The bike worked great afterward. Here's a picture showing how dirty the piston slide was.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Yep... let us know when you have to take the bike in for a check engine light! :D

But that's great NW... sounds like a winter project though for me...

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
OOPS i was supposed to clean mine this weekend. I rode mine all winter (not a denver winter but cold still) and im sure theyre begging for help. Thanks for the post NW!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yep, I too have seen much worse. My own in fact. Tore 'em completely apart, sprayed a few things, but ended up getting a gal. can of cleaner & dropping everything in the basket that wouldn't disintegrate from the chems for a few minutes/hours. When I got 'em out they looked brand spankin' new. Sparkly! All this effort made me curious abt FI. I'm sure there are pros & cons to both, but which has more pros?? I would think that FI would be more $$ to fix if something big happened. Maybe the next bike I get will be FI. Maybe not. My bud will prolly :bslap: me for doing it. I can honestly say I don't mind amateur wrenching. I'm actually enjoying it, but only when supervised, lol.

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
I'm sure my carbs look at least that bad. I don't know squat about cleaning them, taking it apart or anything else carb related. THe last time I paid someone big bucks to do it. I'd love to try it, but I'd have to do it with someone who does know what they're doing.

Glad it worked out for you, now get to work getting them dirty again! :dthumb:

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JK_DILLA said:
Cleaner question: The can you submerge your parts in will eat your gaskets right? What about spray, is spray carb cleaner gasket friendly?
My old Suzuki has a cork gasket around the float bowl. It would usually rip from prying the bowl off. My CBR has a rubber O-ring around the float chamber. Both stay with the float cover which doesn't need any spray, but I don't think carb cleaner will affect either. The delicate part is the rubber diaphram around the piston slide. I wouldn't soak it or even get any carb cleaner on it. If the diaphram melts or rips, the slide won't work. I prefer the spray cleaner over soaking.

The newer bikes with perimeter frames, that go around the engine, make it easy to take off and install the carbs. My Suzuki has a steel backbone that provides about 1/16 inch clearance for removing the carbs. And that is only if you can get the carbs to exactly line up, which they never do. BTW, I took out the CBR today and it has instant acceleration with the clean slides.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
BN...why o why do you have to change the font... and furthermore...why would you make it smaller??? :bonk:

·
Contest Winner, '07 Rally Veteran , November 2007
7,649 Posts
to make the old men squint even harder while trying to read what she is writing...

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
No Worries said:
My old Suzuki has a cork gasket around the float bowl. It would usually rip from prying the bowl off. My CBR has a rubber O-ring around the float chamber. Both stay with the float cover which doesn't need any spray, but I don't think carb cleaner will affect either. The delicate part is the rubber diaphram around the piston slide. I wouldn't soak it or even get any carb cleaner on it. If the diaphram melts or rips, the slide won't work. I prefer the spray cleaner over soaking.

The newer bikes with perimeter frames, that go around the engine....
Thanks NW :cheers:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Gas Man said:
BN...why o why do you have to change the font... and furthermore...why would you make it smaller??? :bonk:
drewpy said:
to make the old men squint even harder while trying to read what she is writing...
Drewpy, that could be part of it :yesnod:

GM, I like to mix it up a little! More fun that way, but I'll try to remember to use a lgr font so u don't need to dust off ur spectacles. Better?
:whistle: :leaving:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
OK BN...if you want to spice it up post up scandily clad pics of yourself or some other fine lookin female....ya that would be great! TNX!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Gas Man said:
OK BN...if you want to spice it up post up scandily clad pics of yourself or some other fine lookin female....ya that would be great! TNX!
Did Twisty get u to take up his cause now? Btw, tx for the compliment. :wink:

How's this?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts