Two Wheel Forums banner

Carburated SV help.

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  No Worries 
I'm cheap and I'm lazy, so the first thing I would do is replace the spark plugs. Then I would check the ignition timing to see if it advances correctly. After that I would check the valve clearances. If it still didn't run right, I would check for vacuum leaks before checking fuel.

Then I would check the air filter, fuel filter, and fuel pump (if your's uses one). With a V, the carbs shouldn't be too hard to get to. Try lifting up on the needle piston with your finger. It should go up with just a little resistance and come back down smoothly. If not, you have to take off the carbs, take off the tops and clean the piston, walls, and passages. Then take off the float chamber and clean all the jets. Set the float level and put it all together.

JK_DILLA said:
Plugs are 7mo old. Is checking timing difficult?
Even if the plugs are 1 day old, if they get any gas on 'em they can become fouled. Stock weak coil, resistor spark plug wires and resistor plugs make a weak spark. See if you can get the same plugs without a resistor. My Honda calls for NGK DPR9EA-9, but I use NGK DP9EA-9. Notice there's no R (resistor) in the plugs I use.

A couple years ago, my Honda felt sluggish. I used my 32-year-old Sears inductive timing light to check the timing. Hooked the inductive clamp on the No.1 spark plug wire, took off the crank cover, and aimed the light at the rotor. The "T" mark lined up at idle (should be the "F" mark), and stayed there when reved. The spark advance unit was faulty ($50 from Honda). After putting the new unit in, it worked correctly. If you or a friend doesn't have a timing light, you can rent one or I think you can still buy them.

JK_DILLA said:
Now that you mention it, last time i had the airbox off i did notice the piston valve on the rear cylinders carb wasnt closed all the way. Could THAT be the whole prob?
JK, you can tune a carb until the world ends, but if you don't have a hot spark at the right time it don't mean nothing. That's why all the books say to check ignition first. But maybe your slides are sticking. They should be even and move smoothly (check post #3). If you have to clean them, send me a PM. I have an article somewhere on how to clean the carbs on an SV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.