Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you guys do for a living how much training did you have to go through and are you happy with your job???

Math class assigned a research thingy i got to make a graph on and explain this sort a stuff post up if you dont mind i got about a week (maybe more) thanx :dthumb:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Hey N4S or DJ....isn't there a thread out there from me explaining my job and all about gas??????? Do you remember what it was called.... if so that would be WAY easier than going thru it again...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Well currently, I am considered a Housewife, stay-at-home-mom, whatever you prefer. But in the fall of '05 I plan on taking some History courses at our local community college. I want to get an associates. I would love to assist in teaching history to elementary students. I've always been a history buff so it just feels right.

I would have done it right after high school, but I got married instead. I was accepted to Pitt University, even had my room and board tuition paid, but Allen asked me to marry him and I didn't want to leave. So was I stupid for NOT going? Probably. But I wouldn't change it. Besides I'm still young enough to go back to school. :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
I am workin on my third major which is nursing :lol: I've been in college for four and a half years, have majored in Public Relations, Speech and Communications and now Nursing. I think I'll stick with the Nursing because I love it and I love my classes....not to mention I'm ready to get out of here :bash:

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
CharlieMavCBR said:
I would have done it right after high school, but I got married instead. I was accepted to Pitt University, even had my room and board tuition paid, but Allen asked me to marry him and I didn't want to leave. So was I stupid for NOT going? Probably. But I wouldn't change it. Besides I'm still young enough to go back to school. :)
You are never too old to learn or go back to school! I graduated from college in '80 and taught school for a while before I went into business. I sold that business in 2000 and retired. I went back to school at 42 and started all over again and received both AA and AS degrees and earned Phi Theta Kappa. I then graduated from the university with a degree in Accounting. I am waiting to start the MBA program here at FSU and will then sit for the CPA exam. I graduated from SIU with a fellow who was career enlisted in the army, and he graduated with a finance degree at 62 and had 2 jobs waiting for him. You are never too old!!! YOU GO FOR IT!!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
ditto...

here's another one for you...in my clinical group at school, there is a woman in her later fifties who has been an attorney for 30 years and then decided she wanted to be a nurse so here she is....

never too late :wink:

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm a shop rat quality professional. Played Army full time for 4 yrs., then worked on an associates degree for 5 yrs. then added some professional certifications (4 of them over next 3 yrs) and finally finishing bachelors degree after 16 yrs of being enrolled in college. Playing Army part time greatly increased amount of time to finish degree (just creeping up on 20 yrs total service). Experience and certifications have off set most salary issues due to not having a 4 yr degree. I deal daily with everyones problems and mistakes, however it is like a puzzle everyday. I enjoy helping people solve there own problems and learn more about what their customers wants, needs, and expects.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I tried college when I was fresh out of high school but I wasn't motivated (C student in high school). I dropped out the first semester, sat out a semester, then tried again. I still wasn't motivated so I joined the Air Force.

After basic training, I had a 9 month tech school that I had to attend 5 days a week, 8 hrs per day. However, the Air Force had me motivated. I graduated from tech school with a 97% average. When I got to my first station, I had more training to go through, plus homework and tests. It wasn't long before I realized that school really does matter.

I was in the Air Force 7+ years and earned an associates degree in electronics before leaving and moving back home to finish school. My father owns an apartment complex and was wanting to retire, so he taught me the business.

I now manage the apartments (full time job, but flexible hours) while attending school full time and earning a degree in finance. Unfortunately, only a portion of my credits transfered because I changed majors, so I have to spend 4 years in school.

I've been in school 3 years and my cumulative GPA is 3.8. Heck of a difference from that C student that dropped out of college earlier, huh? People tried to tell me to stay in school back then, but I wasn't motivated and I wouldn't listen. I regret it only because it's VERY difficult to work full time and finish school. However, I don't regret joining the Air Force because I met several cool people and experienced many things I never would have had the opportunity to try.

This just goes to show you that sometimes you have to go through trial and error before you figure out where you belong.

·
Registered
216 Posts
auto tech .......i went to school for a year .( atc = automotive training center) besides going to vo -tech while i was still in high school for auto mechanics.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Accounting.

I worked full-time and attended school at nights so it took me a long time to finally get my bachelor's degree (received December 2004). I was, however, laid off in April 2004 so the last couple of semesters I took a full load to get it done with.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Site Administrator

I run an office of 22 people. Make sure the heat is working, make sure equipment is shipped out secure, invoices are paid and all that good stuff. I went to a technical High school where I learned about computers. I will be taking some classes this year through my job on OSHA and Facilities Management. Once I leave here I go home and take care a house and 2 boys, so I am working FT 24/7. Eventually, once my boys are a little older I would like to take some web design courses at the college by my house. :dthumb:

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
There is a post in here about what you do and I think its in the Gas Man wants to know one. And there are way to many posts in there to go through. Just say you sniff gas. LOL

I and N4S work in the Internet/Computers/helping retards feild. We talk to ppl all day that are having internet problem and or computer issues. We walk them through things as simple as rebooting there modem/router and computers to uninstalling and reinstalling NIC and the drivers if needed. Advising customers about spyware and virus that they may or may not have. And letting a customer know that the cable cord they have been unplugging all day wasn't the power cord since we can see that they haven't rebooted there modems in over a month or two. LOL There are a lot more we do but i think you get the jest of it. I think our favorite is the "stand-by". It is not a reset button. :lol:

·
Registered
349 Posts
design engineer

I took the cheap way out and only got a 2 year diploma from college. I took 4 years though because i had an amazing (money wise) job that i could only get as a student, with proof of enrolement. after a year in my field, I am only now making more money than when i was a student.

I lucked out and got a great job in my field while others couldn't find any. But if i had to go back and do it again, I would have worked harder in high school (c average) and went to university. within the next year i'm going to enrole in night school classes and and work on getting my degree in mechanical engineering. It just leaves more options open for my future, and more money aswell.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
GSXR750DJ said:
There is a post in here about what you do and I think its in the Gas Man wants to know one. And there are way to many posts in there to go through. Just say you sniff gas. LOL

I and N4S work in the Internet/Computers/helping retards feild. We talk to ppl all day that are having internet problem and or computer issues. We walk them through things as simple as rebooting there modem/router and computers to uninstalling and reinstalling NIC and the drivers if needed. Advising customers about spyware and virus that they may or may not have. And letting a customer know that the cable cord they have been unplugging all day wasn't the power cord since we can see that they haven't rebooted there modems in over a month or two. LOL There are a lot more we do but i think you get the jest of it. I think our favorite is the "stand-by". It is not a reset button. :lol:

We also use the mute button on our headsets frequently to vent about the idiots we talk to !! :skep:

I went to PSU for 1 year, and hated it..college scene just wasnt for me right outta high school. So i took some time off to find myself and party/relax ..then after a year, I was ready to go to school..but the thought of another 4 years of BS classes and the first 2 years of school taking literal BS classes b/4 I could consentrate on my major just didnt appeal to me. so I went to computer learning center, 1 year course, got my associates degree in Programming and PC applications. Got a great job with the commonwealth of PA for 7 years..got laid off, and here I am, working beside DJ.

Its a good company to work for, and you cant beat the perks. so I suppose its worth it! ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Spent 4 years in the Army on tanks. Got the scenic tour of Germany from a driver's hatch. Then got a 4 year BS from Tennessee Tech Univ and went to work as a maintenance leader for a large trucking company, followed by another 10 years of maintenance management in manufacturing. I just left a 5 year job as a maintenance consultant, where I was a road warrior. Went from Puerto Rico to the end of the Alutian Islands, from Boston to Tijuana. Hope to never see the inside of an airplane again. Great experience but glad it is behind me now. I now have my own business working with local manufacturers coaching them on how to get out of the "firefighting" mode of maintenance and get control of their equipment. Funny how the idea of preventive maintenance is the last thing on their mind. Hoping to change that.

I am also the "Head Booger" at Booger Hill. :) And drill sergeant over three little girls.

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
We also use the mute button on our headsets frequently to vent about the idiots we talk to !! :skep:

I went to PSU for 1 year, and hated it..college scene just wasnt for me right outta high school. So i took some time off to find myself and party/relax ..then after a year, I was ready to go to school..but the thought of another 4 years of BS classes and the first 2 years of school taking literal BS classes b/4 I could consentrate on my major just didnt appeal to me. so I went to computer learning center, 1 year course, got my associates degree in Programming and PC applications. Got a great job with the commonwealth of PA for 7 years..got laid off, and here I am, working beside DJ.

Its a good company to work for, and you cant beat the perks. so I suppose its worth it! ;)
Sometimes when I make really good fries, my boss lets me work the drive thru and I get to wear a headset too... :drool:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts