Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do I really need to do this? I've been told by some, it's not necessary and I've read posts that say to do it every week. That seems excessive, no?

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Everytime I washed the bike I added some new lube or when I took it in for some service I sometimes had it done while it was up on the lifts.

Once a week does sound a bit much.

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
GSXR750DJ said:
Everytime I washed the bike I added some new lube or when I took it in for some service I sometimes had it done while it was up on the lifts.

Once a week does sound a bit much.

If you have a "X" using a chain lube will ruin the seals. You are to use the spray-on lithuim grease. Chain lube to me a joke anyway. White lithuim grease has been proven to be better, last longer and cost less that any chain wax.

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
twisty said:
If you have a "X" using a chain lube will ruin the seals. You are to use the spray-on lithuim grease. Chain lube to me a joke anyway. White lithuim grease has been proven to be better, last longer and cost less that any chain wax.
:iagree: :withstupi

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
twisty said:
That's whay I use.. the good white lith. grease..

Here's another thread on this... :twfrox: <Click There<

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bottom line...the more you lube/wax/oil your chain the longer it will last. Other than making a mess of your bike, you can't over lubricate your chain.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Thats going to be one messy chain.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Right...some lubes/waxes/oils don't fling while others can fly all over the place. Depends on which type and what brand you use.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Who knows... it's all opinion... For example, I use kerosene to clean my chain and white lith grease to lube it... but I'm sure you could use chain wax... I just don't think you need to... go out to any auto parts or hardware store and buy some white lith grease... it's good to have around the garage anyway... go for use on your car doors, garage door rollers and all kinds of things...

·
Registered
893 Posts
You don't "lube" an O-ring (or "X-ring") chain. You clean it. It's internally lubricated, with O-rings holding it in (hence the name).

All you really need is a mild degreaser and a brush. We use your basic purple auto parts degreaser/cleaner diluted with water and a "grunge brush" (three sided stiff brush made for cleaning chains). Keeping it clean protects the o-rings and makes the chain last. You can use simple grean as well, or WD40.

A roller chain, on the other hand, isn't lubricated ... so you have to do it.

- Roach

·
Registered
893 Posts
twisty said:
No its not, it ruins the seals. Thats a fast.
BUZZZZ. Wrong answer, thanks for playing though :D

If you read the information on any brand-name chain wax made in the last decade or so, you'll find they no longer contain CFCs which was the problem originally.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetailmin.do?categoryId=8310049&contentId=6005949

Motul, Maxima, etc, etc, etc all make chain wax which is perfectly safe for use on O-ring chains. I don't know of anyone whose wax isn't o-ring safe.

The idea behind chain wax on O-ring chains is that it prevents debris and dirt from damaging the o-rings, prolonging their life. If you're not going to clean your chain on a regular basis, they are definately a good idea.

- Roach

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
SpeedWerks.com said:
BUZZZZ. Wrong answer, thanks for playing though :D

If you read the information on any brand-name chain wax made in the last decade or so, you'll find they no longer contain CFCs which was the problem originally.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetailmin.do?categoryId=8310049&contentId=6005949

Motul, Maxima, etc, etc, etc all make chain wax which is perfectly safe for use on O-ring chains. I don't know of anyone whose wax isn't o-ring safe.

The idea behind chain wax on O-ring chains is that it prevents debris and dirt from damaging the o-rings, prolonging their life. If you're not going to clean your chain on a regular basis, they are definately a good idea.

- Roach

This is an artical from Road racing world, so if your calling them wrong thats cool. They tested chain wax and other lubes up against lithuim and lithium was better than the rest. Im talking X-ring, I dont run the cheap stuff. i dont think SpeedWerks could dish out the cost of testing that RoadRacing did on this subect. So when it comes to trusting a shop the east or the Biggest magizine for sportbike preformace testing who do you think I'm going with. So I can pay 20 for a can of chain wax and 5 bucks for Lithuim, plus my 5 dollar purchase goes alot further...Plus why when you buy a new chain is coated in WHITE LITHIUM grease? Im sure there is reason....

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I've always view the maintance on my x-ring chain more as a cleaning and if you lube it, more so to fight off surface rust... I use to use WD40 but no use Kerosene for it's oiling properties...

·
Registered
893 Posts
Changing the subject in an attempt to re-direct attention doesn't make your "fact" any less incorrect than it was this morning.

You said "No its not, it ruins the seals. Thats a fast." (Spelling intentionally uncorrected)

This is not a fact. It is a fallacy. It is false information. Chain wax does not ruin the seals. In fact, it works very well to protect them.

In response to your re-direction above, you'll notice that nowhere in my post did I dispute lithium grease was not also a good choice. There's any number of things you can use, because, again, you're not lubing an O-ring chain, you're cleaning it and keeping debris away from the O-rings. Responding to something I didn't say doesn't help your argument.

And an "X-Ring" chain has O-rings and is internally lubricated, therefore the fact that it twists under pressure to reduce friction for increased performance has no bearing in this discussion which was only talking about how to CARE for a type of chain. Again, changing the subject does not improve your position.

On thing you are right about, RRW is a great mag. I've known John Ulrich for years (As well as Sam & Melissa and the whole AOD crew), and worked for him at Daytona and Pocono when he was running the Team Hammer events in conjunction with F-USA. In fact, he's sponsoring the USGPRU this year after racing with us a couple times last year and being really impressed with the series. The articles in the mag are second to none.

Thanks,
Brian Roach
SpeedWerks.com

1 - 20 of 45 Posts