Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
Joined
·
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my front and rear sprockets changed out and had a new chain installed.

Do I need to adjust the tension regularly until it stretches out?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
You should check your chain every time you ride. You should also check your tires, brakes, and lights as a regular pre-ride check.

Larry
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there an easy way to make sure the rear tire is straight? I don't always trust the notches on the swingarm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
ShanMan14 said:
Is there an easy way to make sure the rear tire is straight? I don't always trust the notches on the swingarm.
...and you shouldn't, they usually aren't too accurate. There is a method for using string that is inexpensive and simple. I'll see if I can find the article about it.

Larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
Chain Lube

How often should you lubricate the chain..I've been used to shaft drive for awhile.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
larryg said:
...and you shouldn't, they usually aren't too accurate. There is a method for using string that is inexpensive and simple. I'll see if I can find the article about it.

Larry

Is that using 2x4's or something? I saw something about a process that used 2x4's in some fashion; that was years ago and I can't remember it now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
I can't find what I was looking for...essentially, you loop a piece of string around the back of the rear tire and run the ends up by the front tire. You tie the ends to objects that allow you to set the string equal distances from each side of the front tire. You can now check the rear wheel alignment by seeing how the front of the rear tire sits in relation to the string.

I hope that helps.

Larry
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
I also look at the chain as it "jumps" onto the rear sprocket. See if it kicks over as it the chain rotates. The string thing is suppose to work as well....I do use my swingarm notchs quite often and has never did me wrong....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
larryg said:
I can't find what I was looking for...essentially, you loop a piece of string around the back of the rear tire and run the ends up by the front tire. You tie the ends to objects that allow you to set the string equal distances from each side of the front tire. You can now check the rear wheel alignment by seeing how the front of the rear tire sits in relation to the string.

I hope that helps.

Larry
Im gonna try that tomorrow..thanks. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
How long..

How long do chains normally last..I've had shaft drive for a long time, and havent kept my other bikes, chain drive, long enough to need to deal with it.
I plan on keeping my kat for a long time, I love it, so thought I'd ask. :)

Thanks :bike:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
There is no difference in maintaining an o-ring or x-ring chain, they are both the same principle it's just that the x-ring is cut differently. All chains have a master link, whether it's a clip or rivet and they all need to be cleaned and lubed. Although o-ring chains have sealed lubrication for the bushings, they still need lubrication between the bushings and the rollers.

I clean the chain by warming it up with a 5 minute ride, spraying some wd-40 on a towel and rubbing all the crap off the chain. I then wipe it clean with a cloth and then I spray some chain wax on to help keep it clean. Let it stand for about 15-20 minutes and it won't fling. Never use a brush to clean an o-ring chain as you may damage the rings. I've never had any problems with wd-40 but with my new 520 conversion, the o-rings are more exposed so I think I will switch over to kerosene for future cleaning.

http://www.maximausa.com/products/chainlubes/chainwax.asp

I definitely recommend using a rivet link rather than the standard clip type. You can get a chain kit for well under $100 if you shop around on-line, and it will be worth it the first time you use it. Check with your local dealer to see how much they charge to replace a chain and you won't need any more convincing to do it yourself.

I get about 10,000 - 12,000 miles out of a 525/530 chain. Not sure how long this 520 chain will last. I'll just have to wait and see.

Also, I've never worred about how straight the tire is. I do use the markers on the adjusters and have never had a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
Big Kahuna said:
I get about 10,000 - 12,000 miles out of a 525/530 chain. Not sure how long this 520 chain will last. I'll just have to wait and see.
Thanks for the info..that gives me something to go by..only have 8,000 miles on my ride, so its all good for awhile. and you lube the chain every 300-500 miles, right? oh, is chain wax and chain lube the same thing? just wanna make sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,333 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
Thanks for the info..that gives me something to go by..only have 8,000 miles on my ride, so its all good for awhile. and you lube the chain every 300-500 miles, right? oh, is chain wax and chain lube the same thing? just wanna make sure.

Everyone has there own they prefer. I use a spray on lube but have used oil on other bikes beforeas well. I do mine about every 400-600 miles but I'm sure 300-500 is good as well. They do make wax, oil, and lube for chains. They probley make more items but I'm not to worry about all the diff products out there to use. I use what works for me. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Yeah, the "chain wax" I use is a lubricant, I just prefer it to the other junk that goops on and then flings all over the place the first time you ride it. I'm not kidding when I say if you let the chain wax sit for 15-20 minutes, you won't get any fling. The trick is to warm the chain up with a short ride before you apply the lube.

I don't want to sound like a "know it all" as I've been called on other forums. I'm just letting you know what has worked for me. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
Big Kahuna said:
Yeah, the "chain wax" I use is a lubricant, I just prefer it to the other junk that goops on and then flings all over the place the first time you ride it. I'm not kidding when I say if you let the chain wax sit for 15-20 minutes, you won't get any fling. The trick is to warm the chain up with a short ride before you apply the lube.

I don't want to sound like a "know it all" as I've been called on other forums. I'm just letting you know what has worked for me. :)
dont sweat it dude...if you know the answer, then by all means...its all good...thanks for the info...the more responses, the better. Personal experience is the best way to go. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,333 Posts
Yeah Some of the lubes they have out there no matter how long they sit on the chain before you ride will "fling" every where. Pain in the a$$ cleaning it off later. I've heard char coal lighter fluid works good. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Okay, since we are on to a fling cleaning thread jack, I would like to add that I've found the cleaner/wax products like the ones from Honda and Plexus really do the trick. They take off everything from chain spray, road grim and bugs leaving a super slick wax based shine. The Honda spray is much cheaper and I think they both work the same.

Plexus Plastic Cleaner
Pro Honda Spray Cleaner Polish
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,333 Posts
Big Kahuna I don't want you to think I was meaning that towards you about my last comment on the lubes. All I was saying is that there are a few lubes out there that no matter how long they sit there(like a full day) they will still fling. :)

But thanks for the tip on what cleans and works good. I will have to try it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
well i guess if jackin a thread is going to happen, might as well keep in the same general tech area.. :lol: but thanks for the links..im due to lube mine this weekend, so I'll check em out !
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top