Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i wasn't really sure where to put this one, but heres my question. What would be the pros and cons of putting a 190 series tire on a gsxr600? I know i might lose a little power, but would i be able to make it up in the twisties? I live in West Virginia, and we mostly ride in the mountains and back roads. I haven't been to any track days yet, but we are planning to go to at least one towards the end of summer. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
The tires themselves can make a world of difference. Different profiles and what not. I went from Dunlop's to Metzeler's and my confidence went way up. Michelin Pilot Powers are the tires that everybody swears by though. They will be my next purchase when I need tires. You might just want to get different tires and stay the same size.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
I thought about going up a size on the rear, but I was told by the techs not to. They say I will corner and run the twisties so much better with the stock size. My bike came with metzlers, those were the worse tires I have ever rode on in my life. I almost wiped a quite a few time in tight curves. The Pireilli Diablo's are the best tires I have ever rode on. I will continue to buy these. I am on my 2nd set. They get hot and sticky very quickly which helps so much in the curves, and wheelies.

·
Registered
955 Posts
bigger is not always better, or should i say wider is not always better....the rim isnt made to handle that big of a tire and the profile of the tire gets weird and it will handle worse than the stock size..even if you bought a larger rim to handle a larger tire it will slow down the ability to flick the bike from side to side.....

now for dragracing a bigger rear tire is always better... :dthumb:

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
:iagree: I went from a 200 to a 190 size Pilot Power Sport... and I like the way I can slice into a corner faster... If it's more contact area you're looking for at the rear then try riding with less PSI... :twfrox:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
gixxer127 said:
hey, i wasn't really sure where to put this one, but heres my question. What would be the pros and cons of putting a 190 series tire on a gsxr600? I know i might lose a little power, but would i be able to make it up in the twisties? I live in West Virginia, and we mostly ride in the mountains and back roads. I haven't been to any track days yet, but we are planning to go to at least one towards the end of summer. Thanks for any help.
127... you actually have it a bit off or maybe backwards.

The larger tire may allow you to plant more power to the ground. But it will more than likely slow you down in the twisties.

The 180 (of coarse depending on profiles) will have a better turn in rate for the twisties. The 190 will be able to plant more power on the straigh take off on the line.

However, most street riders would never notice either option. And as GSXRJack stated, you are probably just better off staying at the stock size.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Yep, bigger tire will definitely slow down handling.

My busa came with a 200 and I went down to a 190 and it handles much better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts