Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone got any good ways of doing this? I use a bucket of soapy water and a sponge this just is not cutting it for me, what are you guys using? All your pic’s look nice and shiny, am I just lazy maybe this just is not a quick job.

· Registered
680 Posts
Well if you really want to be thorough you will get out a toothbrush! :wink:

Other than that, I do it the same way as my car, but then again my bike is basically just like my dirtbikes, there's no paint to worry about really (just plastics). I use the soap I use for my car, a hose, a sponge and a wheel brush (works for more than wheels though, basically a big toothbrush). I've used a powerwasher on my dirtbike before but I don't think I'll ever need it for the Buell. It doesn't get riden through mud.

· Registered
587 Posts
Like a wax?
Not if you want to get technical, no. Waxes protect painted surfaces, and (as you already pointed out) Buell plastics are not painted. So you want a polish to create a high gloss, and Honda polish does a great job at that. It also works really well on helmets and face shields.

· Registered
64 Posts
For my car i'll take it to the power washer dealies, but with my bike I'm afraid the jet if water might be too much... plus cold water on a hot engine I'm not sure what that would do.

I don't have a hose avaliable to me (crappy apartment, whatever) so what I have is:

Bucket of soapy water (Any avaliable car soap, I use Meguiar's)
Bucket of clean water
Microfiber sponge
Wheel Brush
Synthetic Chamois
Abundance of microfiber cloths

I'll use the soapy water with the sponge to give the actual cleaning. Scrub all the parts, use the wheel brush for wheels, frame, swingarm, etc. Then, take the clean water and use a cloth (towel, whatever you have) to rinse off the bike (usually by wringing out the water over the bike, then wiping again with the cloth.

Then, chamois the water off to make it nice and clean.

Afterwards, I break out the wax. I'm a huge fan of Meguiar's Gold Class liquid. Lil pricey (far as wax goes) at $20 or so per bottle, but it's awesome. Goes on easily, comes off easily, and shines like none other.

When I wax, I go in sections. I'll usually apply to a large enough segment that by the time I get done applying, the first part is dry. So I like to do say the front fairing and wheel cover, then the side fairings, then the tail. Buff off quickly and lightly with the microfiber cloth... you can tell that it's nice when it's shiny, and very smooth. (Example: the first time I waxed my car, I started with the roof. I put the bottle of wax down, didnt move. When I finished waxing the roof, the bottle would just slide right off, and it's very very slightly curved. )

Finally if i'm feeling fiesty, i'll SOMETIMES armor-all the black plastics. I tend not to do things like the seats/handgrips, as the protectant makes them slick and well... I don't like my gloves slipping off the throttle at inopportune moments. :)

· Registered
587 Posts
For my car i'll take it to the power washer dealies, but with my bike I'm afraid the jet if water might be too much...
Good call. You don't want to pressure wash a bike.

Finally if i'm feeling fiesty, i'll SOMETIMES armor-all the black plastics. I tend not to do things like the seats/handgrips, as the protectant makes them slick and well... I don't like my gloves slipping off the throttle at inopportune moments. :)
You definitely want to be careful where you use Armor All or similar protectants on a bike. And you probably know this, but for the benefit of anyone who doesn't, NEVER use ANY sort of tire dressing on a bike!!!

· Registered
5,155 Posts
makes your tires slick and greasy. they might look good but that means you'll lowside pulling out of your driveway. :yikes: very very bad idea.

anyhoo, I have some greasy gunk crap on part of my exhaust, is it okay to use something like goo gone on that sh*t? or is it bad for chrome? :idk:

· Registered
17,890 Posts
I never use soap and water. I usually clean mine before every ride and I'm a fair weather rider only, so it's usually pretty clean from the last ride.

First, I go over it with Mequires Quick Detailer. It's a spray. That'll get rid of the surface dust and bugs. It's important to use high quality terry clothes too! I have four and they each cost six bucks. Very, very soft. I wash them and dry them with one fabric softener sheet and they come out REALLY soft. I have one for the quick detailing, one for Plexus. Plexus is a polish for plastics. It works very good. And two for wheels or really dirty parts. On the wheels I use a bug and tar remover. It gets those things sparkly.

· Banned
11,695 Posts
Has anyone got any good ways of doing this? I use a bucket of soapy water and a sponge this just is not cutting it for me, what are you guys using? All your pic’s look nice and shiny, am I just lazy maybe this just is not a quick job.
That's the way I do it...

I usually spend about 2 hours cleaning my bike LOL
Sounds about right, give or take a half hour depending on the level of dirtiness...

Well if you really want to be thorough you will get out a toothbrush! :wink:

Other than that, I do it the same way as my car, but then again my bike is basically just like my dirtbikes, there's no paint to worry about really (just plastics). I use the soap I use for my car, a hose, a sponge and a wheel brush (works for more than wheels though, basically a big toothbrush). I've used a powerwasher on my dirtbike before but I don't think I'll ever need it for the Buell. It doesn't get riden through mud.
I do use a toothbrush... And a variety of other brushes, cloths, and sponges...

Good call. You don't want to pressure wash a bike.

You definitely want to be careful where you use Armor All or similar protectants on a bike. And you probably know this, but for the benefit of anyone who doesn't, NEVER use ANY sort of tire dressing on a bike!!!
I have taken my bike to the carwash in the past... I just spray from aas far away as possible, most of the time I just use the fine spray that's coming out before you squeeze the trigger... And ALWAYS from a 'cold ride' in which the bike hasn't had the time to completely heat up... Helps to have a carwash less than 1,000 feet from your house.

I use Armor All on my chain guard, rear fender, and other various plastic parts, but NEVER on any contact parts (tires, grips, seat, foot pegs).

makes your tires slick and greasy. they might look good but that means you'll lowside pulling out of your driveway. :yikes: very very bad idea.

anyhoo, I have some greasy gunk crap on part of my exhaust, is it okay to use something like goo gone on that sh*t? or is it bad for chrome? :idk:
I cannot imagine you will have any problems... I have used Goof Off on my wheels and exhaust parts without any problems... I have zero experience with Goo Gone though, but imagine it's similar... If you aren't sure test it out on a small section that is well hidden (like the side that faces the wheel) before to make sure.

· Registered
1,398 Posts
Your dont have to worry abot cold water on a hot engine, ive had a few of my bikes in water up to the radiator in mud and water (crossing a creek that was deeper than last time lol) but yeah stay away from a power washer for sure.

Yeah if you do a good job on a mx bike its usually an hour job or so. Sport bike probally 2, my dad spends about 2-3 on his harley

· Registered
24,037 Posts
These guys have summed it up pretty well. I use a bucket and car wash soap. Clean that sucker up and dry it. Then I use MOTHER BILLET polish on the frame. It's very pricey....$15 for a tiny can of it. But it is absolutely the BEST polish ever...ask Gas Man. Then I wax it with some sort of Meguire's Paste Wax...I dont remember the specific kind.

Turns out nice.

And like these guys said....I cannot stress enough...DO NOT PUT ARMOUR ALL ON YOUR TIRES!!!! I can promise you that you will CRASH!

I've seen it done...twice...by the same person. :bash:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts