Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so the main thing I learned this morning is that just because the Dodge coming your way is in his lane it does not mean that his MIRROR is in his lane...

I was riding too close to the centerline :nono: today when I was very narrowly missed (approx 1/2 inch) by the extended towing mirror on an oncoming truck.

Any of the more experience riders have some other "things you might not think about when you're new"?

:bluemc:
-G

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
G!

This goes, I thought without saying, that you need to ajdust your position in your lane when riding.

For example: 2 lane road 1 in each direction...riding solo
If there is nobody in front of me I tend to ride to the right of the lane. If there is somebody in front of me, I will ride to the left of the lane to make sure that the on-coming traffic sees me in case they want to make a left turn.... don't want them to do that in front of me or into me...

Just watch it out there.... never had that happen but could see it happening to many riders that are lacking some rode expierence...

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I'm usually adjusting in the lane but for some reason I just never anticipated that one :bash: I normally ride in the left 3rd unless the next turn in gonna be a right, then I move over for better view/angle on the turn. I also move right when industrial sized trucks come along 'cause you never know WHAT those guys are gonna have comin' off of them.

Shan, my problem with that is that my car is so short that it is well below the level of the mirrors on most modern trucks...I can actually see OVER my car when sitting on my bike :skep:

I'm just glad it was a learning experience without getting clobbered...

:twfrox:

-G

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Yeah no crap... always better that way!

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Riding a back road with a friend.
Came upon a left corner at quick pace.
Kevin the other rider hit his helmet on a horse trailer as it passed in the other direction. :yikes:
Both where close to the Yellow line.
Not hurt, just had to clean the shorts.
Helmet trashed.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ouch!!! Didn't that pick him clean off the bike? I'm glad to hear he was ok!

-G

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
MSF standard equation is to ride the center of the lane when riding solo through the turns at all times for better visibility.. Also they say never ride the right side of the lane as someone behind you may think there is room and it is ok to pass you - triple bad in this case - Dodge, bike and car passing all go bye bye..

With that in mind you might want to consider that.. Me, I adjust lane position depending on the circumstances.. By myself I rarely hug the yellow line through the corner.. I try to leave room in case of some jackass hugging it in a cage or in this case with a trailer mirror, etc. That and $0.35 will get you a cup of coffee and hopefully get you and the bike home in 1 piece..

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
No
It just grazed his helmet.
Looked like it got hit with a bat and 2 deep guts along the top side. :yikes:
He said it wrong his bell pretty good. :lol:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MP - Yeah, I was definitely too close to centerline myself, I just hadn't realized HOW close because I wasn't thinking about something like that extended mirror...You can BET I will be now.

Jeeps - Dayumm... I bet it shook him a good one!

-G

1 - 11 of 11 Posts