Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i engage the gears there is a grinding sound and clacking sound......am i not working the clutch properly...is it slipping...is it a bad gear maybe?

also...after riding for a while the rpms will hold steady at 3000 after i let go of the throttle...it will hover for a few seconds then slowly back back down to either 1500 which is where it should be...or it will hold at 2000 and if i let the clutch out a little it will drop back to idle...any ideas felllas?

oh yeah....1982 yamaha xj550 seca.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
This is something that even a little adjustment will help alot. I believe this was one of my clutch problems... I went to the farther end of the slack. As in more slack. That is one of the reasons my clutch problems went bye bye...

·
Registered
408 Posts
If your noise happens when you slelect first gear at a stop, I'm going to guess the high idle issue is causing your gears to grind when you engage them. The shafts in the transmission need to be moving similar speeds to enage smoothly. If your input shaft is spinning 3000 rpm and your output shaft is sitting still, they won't engage smoothly.

Larry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts