Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive asked else where and i'll ask here.

When im feeling good i upshift and down shift without clutching. Im usually in the midrange when i do. To shift i pressure the gear changer, quickly give it a throttle-down blip and the gear slips into place without any clunkiness. So what am i tearing up? Is this alright or should i stop.

P.S. 02' SV650

·
Registered
893 Posts
JK_DILLA said:
Ive asked else where and i'll ask here.

When im feeling good i upshift and down shift without clutching. Im usually in the midrange when i do. To shift i pressure the gear changer, quickly give it a throttle-down blip and the gear slips into place without any clunkiness. So what am i tearing up? Is this alright or should i stop.

P.S. 02' SV650
For downshifts ... you need to be VERY careful doing this beacause of engine braking ... the ass end can step out on you. Upshifts ... it's the only way to go :) As long as you close the throttle for just a split second to unload the tranny, you're all good.

- Roach

·
Banned
3,078 Posts
SpeedWerks.com said:
For downshifts ... you need to be VERY careful doing this beacause of engine braking ... the ass end can step out on you. Upshifts ... it's the only way to go :) As long as you close the throttle for just a split second to unload the tranny, you're all good.
- Roach
really......i do it on my dirt bike because it is old and i dont care about it....have to to keep up with um lol

but i knew you have to on the down shift :thumbs: i am going to try the clutchless upshift today.....................it isent bad at all for the bike???(if you completely let off gas)

·
Registered
149 Posts
I always use the clutch to downshift but on upshifts sometimes yes and sometimes no. I think if you get it wrong you'll feel it. A little up pressure on the shifter and drop the throttle just a little and it jumps right in. Don't usually have to close the throttle, just let up a bit. Kind of suprises you the first time how easily and quickly it shifts. Read somewhere that upshifts with a clutch just wears your clutch quicker. I like the clutch with a passenger as I can smooth things out a bit that way.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dont close the throttle all the way, just let it down with a blip. But it feels way smoother without the clutch. I do the same with the clutch, pressure the changer and blip the throttle. Keeps the clutch pull to a minimum. I barely give it a squeeze and its in. Down shifting i dont care for as much. I know i can but its not so smooth and i dont.

·
Banned
3,078 Posts
im always smooth :whistle:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
You got it... downshifts w/o clutch are just asking for trouble... DON'T DO THAT!!

The upshifts... you don't want to chop out the throttle...you want to back it off a bit then pull the gear up!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Gas Man said:
You got it... downshifts w/o clutch are just asking for trouble... DON'T DO THAT!!

The upshifts... you don't want to chop out the throttle...you want to back it off a bit then pull the gear up!
It really depends on the rider. I now few people who can smoothly downshift without the clutch (race or street), but if done right, won't be a problem. I was doing it for so long on the street, that when I raced, I wouldn't touch the clutch except for the start and "maybe" the cool down lap. Never had tranny problems.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yeah, clutchless starts are pretty tricky. Not much fun wiithout someone there to push. :wink:

·
Contest Winner, '07 Rally Veteran , November 2007
7,649 Posts
:iagree:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
lol use to pull on the actual clutch linkage on the motor when i would break my clutch leaver on my dirtbike. to go from a stop, or just give gas and drop the gear and wam. lol

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
I find myself using the clutch on light acceleration.
If I'm ripping on it, no clutch.
I all ways use it on down shifts.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
bumblebee said:
I use my clutch, I figure they put it on the bike for a reason
That's a good perspective....

ANd I understand that too Jeeps... but I still use it more often.

As a matter of fact, this last summer when the Kaw dealer had my 9R all ripped apart for the oil pump shaft he said that my clutch was in remarkable shape...he couldn't believe that at the time I had about 12K on it!

·
Registered
955 Posts
ive always used the clutch, I dont think i have ever even done a clutchless shift , up or down.....at the dragstrip i would just peg the throttle wide open and just fan the clutch quickly while shifting...i never want to come off the gas during a run, hell i use to do it that way on a road course once in a while, if i was trying to make up some time down the straights....

but normally on the street or the road course id just blip the throttle but still snap the clutch quickly to shift...just something ive always done, and always had a fear of missing shifts doing it clutchless.....

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do some Jack, tell us what you think. Funny thing, when i Clutchless upshift the shift feels more positive than when i clutch. Never missed one either.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Jack -

You're not coming off the throttle, but you're disengaging the clutch, which will actually cost you more time (the clutch has to re-engage, which is not instant - the clutch plates slide against each other until the coefficient of friction is no longer overcome by force). Yes, this is fractions of seconds ... but that's racing.

That;s the big win with clutchless upshifts (in terms of racing - on the street, obviously it doesn't matter). You never disengage the clutch so there's no disconnect between the motor and the rear wheel.

This is why everyone now uses quick-shifters (both drag and roadracing) - by cutting ignition or fuel for about 100ms and keeping the clutch fully engaged, you shift with almost no loss of momentum or RPM. It's the same thing as snapping the throttle with your wrist to unload the tranny, just faster.

- Roach

·
Registered
955 Posts
SpeedWerks.com said:
Jack -

You're not coming off the throttle, but you're disengaging the clutch, which will actually cost you more time (the clutch has to re-engage, which is not instant - the clutch plates slide against each other until the coefficient of friction is no longer overcome by force). Yes, this is fractions of seconds ... but that's racing.

That;s the big win with clutchless upshifts (in terms of racing - on the street, obviously it doesn't matter). You never disengage the clutch so there's no disconnect between the motor and the rear wheel.

This is why everyone now uses quick-shifters (both drag and roadracing) - by cutting ignition or fuel for about 100ms and keeping the clutch fully engaged, you shift with almost no loss of momentum or RPM. It's the same thing as snapping the throttle with your wrist to unload the tranny, just faster.

- Roach
I agree using a quick shifter is faster than my method, but with a quickshifter it kills the motor for a millisecond but blipping the throttle by hand takes more time and thats engine momentin thats lost, my way the revs are climbing for the few miliseconds it takes when i fan the clutch and it always slamms into the next gear, unless the clutch is shot...

ive always used this method (wide open and fanning the clutch) at the drags on my streetbikes, with and with out nitrous, ive always felt that keeping the throttle pinned was the best way to go...and ive run some good times doing it that way (10.34 @132 on a 1989 gsxr1100 with just a pipe and a jet kit and [email protected] on a bone stock 1987 hurricane) the shifts still hit hard so i know im not slipping at all, (unless i fry it at the launch :crazy:)

I also think that the difference between both ways of shifting is only going to be in the hundreths not tenths in a dragrace, so its not gonna win or lose a road race either way you do it in my opinion.. :wink:

·
Registered
955 Posts
heres a video of me shifting my gsxr750, i just threw the camera on the bike and blasted up the street in january so I short shifted the 1st to 2nd shift...now at the drags im even quicker so you can see (or hear) that its not gonna be a major difference in times between the two shifting methods....

but since ive never done it anyonter way ill never know, but if i thought i could squeeze out another tenth id shift if with my teeth :lol: .

0-100 gsxr750

·
Banned
3,078 Posts
i just tryied it on my sv yesterday...on my dirt bike i just let all the throttle go then jam it in the next gear......like gas said for street i found you just let up a lil with a lil bit of pressure on the gear shifter and a real smooth change

1 - 20 of 34 Posts