Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, tell me what you have and what works and doesn't work. I'm not accustomed to the cold weather having moved from Phoenix within the last year. What are your recommendations?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just wrote this the other day for my own board. Might as well copy and paste it here. :D

Heated grips and heated gear will make winter riding enjoyable. I don't care how many layers of clothing and gear you wear, you will NOT be completely comfortable when the temps drop REALLY low without heated gear...

There was a great article I read somewhere that explained it best. I'll paraphrase...

Imagine the heat in your body is like a battery. The more layers of clothing you wear, the less DRAIN on that battery you're creating. However, you're never actually putting a charge BACK IN...

In other words, no matter WHAT you wear, if it's cold out you WILL get cold eventually without heated gear. The more you wear, the longer it takes, that's all... Saying it's better just to bundle up in cold weather is ridiculous. For one, you end up getting all bulky so you'll be less comfortable on the bike. It'll be more difficult to ride around. You're probably going to wear a lot of clothing under your riding gear, which will make the gear fit too tightly.

If you really want to ride year round, keep your body warm... I suggest you look at the following gear:

Gerbing heated jacket and pants...
http://www.gerbing.com

Variable heat controller for the gear... You can either use Gerbing's, or Heat-Troller's. I've used the Heat-Troller, but the Gerbing should work the same.
http://www.heat-troller.com

Now, you'll definitely want to keep your hands warm, too. You can use heated gloves or heated grips. A lot of people like gloves because that way the tops of your hands will stay warm, too... However, I prefer grips, since if you're going out for a short trip and you don't want to plug in all your heated gear you can still keep your hands warm... You can use Dual-Star heaters (thin, go under ANY grip of your choice) or HotGrips.
http://www.dual-star.com
http://www.hotgrips.com

Don't forget your feet! Heated socks will keep those toes toasty... If you want to go the budget route, look at
http://www.gorix.co.uk/acatalog/
click commercial/manufacturing
Gorix fabric is awesome stuff. You can order sample 3x6 strips off their site at the link I provided. Put the fabric in your riding boots. MAKE CERTAIN you put felt or some sort or fabric over top of it so you don't wear through the stuff. Also, make sure you have the fabric on a variable heat controller. That stuff will get BLAZING hot if you put 12v into it continuously!

Now, there is another option for the heated gear itself, too. Widder is another manufacturer. I don't like their stuff as much though it works equally well. They have a vest, arm chaps, and leg chaps that are heated. I just prefer a simple jacket and pants...
http://www.widder.com

If you don't want to go all out and get it ALL, start with heated grips. Warm hands makes a HUGE difference...

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
he's definately a super-typer! :lol:

For me, basically, since I dont have full gear, I do with what I got, wool socks to go under my boots, 2 layers of long-johns under my jeans ( depending on just how cold it is, long sleeve tshirt & sweatshirt under my riding jacket which deflects the majority of the wind anyways, neck warmer, gloves lid. It's not too bulky that im uncomfortable, and generally works well.

heated riding gear is where its at for sure, thanks man for the recommendations!

Thats it, im moving where its warmer, and come back in december to have my white christmas, then ive had my fill of it !! :redmc:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Haven't gone the heated gear route (yet), so I limit my rides to 50F or higher (I typically end up going 65-75mph to work). After the Sidi's, leather pants and jacket, the only part I have something of an issue keeping warm is the hands. Currently I use snowboarder gloves to wick the moisture away, which are under my cooler-weather AGV leather gloves. Works ok for an hour's ride, but I wouldn't want to do it longer than that. The wind's a mother when its cold out.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
The last time I went out riding at night with Matt, I had on a shirt, long sleeve shirt, pull over and another pull over. I was felling pretty good that night except for my legs. Now I have a pair of long johns and may need to get another pair. LOL

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Mojo said:
Another important thing is a neck warmer. It makes a *huge* difference.

I think I will have to try this. Sounds like a great idea. Thanks. :thumbs:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Yeah, those are necessity for sure..when i used to ride snowmobiles/atc's in the snow..i never went without one...now where did I stick that when I moved... :confused:

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
I live in FLA...my winter gear consists of...let's see...oh...maybe flannels on under my draggin jeans, and a thinsulate lined levi jacket under my regular gear...and I put on the track gloves...with fingers...

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
bumblebee said:
I live in FLA...my winter gear consists of...let's see...oh...maybe flannels on under my draggin jeans, and a thinsulate lined levi jacket under my regular gear...and I put on the track gloves...with fingers...

Smarta$$. :smash: :lol: :dthumb:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
from what I've read, its fits so snug, that you basically have to paint that stuff on ;) ..but it does give you some great protection from what the review say!

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
I have a few pieces of Under Armor and wear them while around my house. They do fit pretty snug but once you get used to that they are very nice. The shirts feel pretty good but the pants and shorts have a bit to get used to. :dthumb:

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Gear? You don't need any stinking gear. Just have to ask one question - how bad do you really want to ride? If the answer is bad enough - go for it. Throw on a windbreaker, your helmet, some shorts and sandals and TEAR IT UP. lol..

No I usually just layer up. I don't ride in real cold weather because I find that the hands usually are a cold receptacle and don't warm up very quick - so less than 30 degrees forget it. Not that I haven't done it but it is painful.

·
Registered
197 Posts
John said:
Has anyone tried the Under Armour cold gear?

http://www.underarmour.com/ua2/ua/gear.asp?dept_id=4
I have the stuff. It works well. It's not SUPER warm... Meaning, it makes a good first layer, but doesn't exactly mean it's the ONLY thing you need to wear under your gear and stay warm in 32 degree weather...

The best thing about Under Armor is how much easier it makes getting in and out of leathers... Leathers just slip on and off with no sticking to your skin...

·
Registered
35 Posts
As for the pants, I just got a pair of First Gear HT Overpants this week. Very nice. Wore them to work yesterday in the rain. It is a 30 mile drive. I stayed warm and dry.

Ron

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
ront said:
As for the pants, I just got a pair of First Gear HT Overpants this week. Very nice. Wore them to work yesterday in the rain. It is a 30 mile drive. I stayed warm and dry.

Ron

how fast did they dry out after being drenched! ;) BTW welcome to the site! :cheers:

·
Registered
460 Posts
double2000r6 said:
No I usually just layer up. I don't ride in real cold weather because I find that the hands usually are a cold receptacle and don't warm up very quick - so less than 30 degrees forget it. Not that I haven't done it but it is painful.
Latex gloves under your riding gloves make a big difference. Also, Icon's barrier gloves work pretty well at keeping the hands warm. It was 27 degrees in Bridgeport when we rode through there a couple of weeks ago. One of our guys was wearing Barrier gloves, the rest of us were wearing latex gloves under our gloves. It worked out pretty well. I also hear that heated grips or gloves work well.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
I wear a pair of isotoner gloves, under my icons. My icons keep me pretty warm overall, worked out very well this weekend, but in really cold, I put on those thin isotoners under them,and it works pretty good.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts