Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally received my Scorpion Fury I ordered so I decided to take it out for short ride. The helmet is indeed very noisy and not as comfortable as my Suomy Bostrom. The good thing is thing is that it's cheap and the liner can be esaily taken out and cleaned.

On to my question... Along with the helmet is a blue face shield which I ordered becuase it was 1/2 off with the purchase of a helmet. I am really disappointed at the quality of the shiled upon inspecting it out of the package. The shild itself has the blue paint smeared all over and looked very cheap and unprofessionally done. (Imagaine someone dip a big paint brush in some blue paint and brush it along the shield twice and send it down along the assembly line) Since I've never owned or saw a colored face shield up close my life, I'm wondering if this kind of workmanship is normal? Eitherway, I'm going to be back at the shop and ask to exchange for another shield. I'd appreciate for those who also has color face shield to comment on the finish and quality of their shield. THanks in advance.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I'm not sure about the Scorpion helmets..but Shan is a self claimed expert on them. He may be able to steer you in the right direction. As far as the quality of the helmet... I don't think that is their top of the line model is it? I don't think it is... and then that means you aren't comparing apples to apples....

Suomy helmets are a higher end helmet... are you comparing a $100 helmet to a $600 helmet? If so then that is understandable.

Face shield issue??? Why don't you just fix that issue along with the helmet issue and attempt to return it all, for poor quality and/or defective manufacturing!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just want to clarify that the helmet itself is fine in term of quality. All I am saying is that it's not as comfortable as a higher end helmet but I am happy for the features it comes with @ its price. My main concern at this point is their quality of the face shields.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Well then, just return the face shield for one that maybe has been reproduced better. There shouldn't be any problems with that, sense it's not apperal!

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
The shield should be smooth in texture and look.
If it is streaked than return it.
Does the shield have the anti fog stuff like the original?
Could be a bad batch on the coating.
Have you cleaned it and mad the strikes you self?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The only Scorpion shields with the anti fogging feature are the clear, light smoked and dark smoked ones I believe.
Samurai_Jack call Scorpion. I bet they will help you out. I have the Raider model and the dark smoked shield. I love them.

Ron

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ront said:
The only Scorpion shields with the anti fogging feature are the clear, light smoked and dark smoked ones I believe.
Samurai_Jack call Scorpion. I bet they will help you out. I have the Raider model and the dark smoked shield. I love them.

Ron
I've actually looked at the tinted/smoke shields but my colored shield looks nothing like it. I'm going to try to exchange one @ the shop where I get it 1st. I'll probably end up calling Scorpion if the shop doesn't have anything in stock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Odd. I *had* a Suomy/Botsrom helmet...most uncomfortable helmet I've worn, next to an Arai Quantum. I couldn't wear a Shoei, either, if it's any consolation.

I have an EXO700 Fury (silver/black/white) and thing is awesome. Far less windnoise than any helmet I've had in the past, and *so* comfortable..I love this helmet.

Ront is right...only the clear and smoked faceshields are fog-proof. As for the silver 'shield I bought with my helmet, it's perfectly smooth, no streaks what-so-ever.

My thoughts are that you got a bad one that slipped past the QA inspection, to be honest.

I work at a bike dealership, and my shop carries Scorpion helmets and accessories. Out of the (literally) hundreds of visors I've seen come in and go out, *none* if them have had the streaks described here. (On an upshot, every customer who bought a Scorpion has come back raving about how awesome it is)

Just my :2cents:

Spoone

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Assuming that the fit is identical between the Suomy & Scorpion helmet, Suomy would be much more comfortable to wear because its liner is much softer and the texture is much smoother that the liner in the Scorpion helmet, which are relatively thinner & rougher because of the "kwikwick" feature. Once again, that's not to say that Scorpion is not a good helmet brand. I love its features for the price that I bought it.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
The Scorpion EXO-700 is the lid that I was looking at getting for my first. Is it good? I didn't even know that they made different color lenses for it. That's cool, save a bit of money cause I figured that if they didn't I'd have to go buy another lid with the colored/smoked lense. I like the Arais but they are kinda expensive for a first lid, but that is just my opinion.

Grafixx

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Grafixx01 said:
The Scorpion EXO-700 is the lid that I was looking at getting for my first. Is it good? I didn't even know that they made different color lenses for it. That's cool, save a bit of money cause I figured that if they didn't I'd have to go buy another lid with the colored/smoked lense. I like the Arais but they are kinda expensive for a first lid, but that is just my opinion.

Grafixx
I think the Scorpion EXO700 would make a great 1st helmet for any riders. But the most important thing is that you must choose a helmet that fit your head the best (and believe me, your head will thank you later). If in case the Scorpion doesn't fit your head, there are a couple of alternatives you can look into: HJC AC-11, Shark (a couple of models to choose from), and Suomy Gundwind (most should be on closeout price now since a new model is replacing it) are all within the Scorpion lid price range. You should definitely go to a local shop and try to put the helmet on for a period of time to determine whether they fit you or not.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts