Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well for the last couple days my AIM has not been wanting to cooperate with me. It starts and runs just fine, but as soon as you open an IM window, such as someone IM'ing me or me IM'ing somebody else, I get the 'this program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down' message. When I click detail, this is what it says...

AIM caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL at 016f:bff7b9f6.
Registers:
EAX=7fc39e61 CS=016f EIP=bff7b9f6 EFLGS=00010202
EBX=7c38b4e0 SS=0177 ESP=00540000 EBP=00540028
ECX=00541dd8 DS=0177 ESI=00000001 FS=520f
EDX=00000001 ES=0177 EDI=8196340c GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
57 89 65 e8 75 04 33 c0 eb 54 85 c0 74 4b c7 45
Stack dump:
00000001 7c38b4e0 7fc39e61 00000001 7c38b4e0 7fc39e61 00541dd8 bffc05b4 bff79250 ffffffff 00541de8 bff7ce23 7fc39e61 00000001 7fc33046 7fc39e61

It's perfectly fine up until I try to IM somebody or they do me. Now I did have some spyware last week, but got rid of most all of it using Spy Sweeper, and all the pop ups and programs running in memory has stopped, but since then my AIM has been doing this. I already tried uninstalling it and downloading and installing it again with no luck. Oh yea I'm running Win 98 SE, AIM version 5.9 (latest). I usually figure this stuff out, but since my computer skills aren't quite what they used to be, I'm a bit stumped.

Anybody run across this before? Ideas?

·
Banned
3,078 Posts
i suck at computers but i suggest that u delete all of AIM then just reinstal it it made my computer slow and all my friends hate it but it is the only one that everyone has so just try that then idk how to help :dthumb:

·
Registered
673 Posts
aim sucks, get GAIM, its an open source version. You can get it from Sourceforge.net....Uninstall all of aim first from add/remove progs in control panel. Gaim is so much better, i also suggest Firefox over internet explorer, Just plain old better in everyway(firefox.com)

-jon

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
the latest version of aim causes issues like this alot..try uninstalling and deleting everything aim off your computer, reboot..and rollback to a previous version

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet...thanks! I downloaded gaim and that seems to work just fine. Leave it to AOL to make a program that screws up your computer! LOL :thumbs:

Thanks again!

·
Banned
3,078 Posts
dubbs said:
aim sucks, get GAIM, its an open source version. You can get it from Sourceforge.net....Uninstall all of aim first from add/remove progs in control panel. Gaim is so much better, i also suggest Firefox over internet explorer, Just plain old better in everyway(firefox.com)

-jon
if you have GAIM then can you talk to AIM members ????

·
Registered
604 Posts
Some of the latest AIM versions have spyware in them so when you cleaned up your computer it probably corrupted the program. Glad to see you got everything working again. For future reference, you also might want to try trillian. Trillian allows you to log into AIM, MSN, Yahoo, and ICQ using one instant messenger program. Trillian doesn't have spyware in it either.

·
Banned
3,078 Posts
how long does it take to download

·
Registered
673 Posts
yes, gaim has everything in it, A lot of programs ive never ever heard about, Its real small a real small download, and it doesnt freeze up your comps resources like AIM does.

·
Banned
3,078 Posts
if u like music and videos for free then try imesh.com

but be careful it is illegal i think im not sure it works good for me though

·
Registered
673 Posts
Na bulldog, You have to DL DC++ from Sourceforge.net IMesh = spyware. DC++ = good dl speeds and you can find whole albums together, you can dl a whole album in bout 20 mins. You can find anything on DC++. Its like kazaa on steroids without all the nasty side effects. Try it.

·
Banned
3,078 Posts
dubbs said:
Na bulldog, You have to DL DC++ from Sourceforge.net IMesh = spyware. DC++ = good dl speeds and you can find whole albums together, you can dl a whole album in bout 20 mins. You can find anything on DC++. Its like kazaa on steroids without all the nasty side effects. Try it.
i would like to but i dont speak computer....can you like edit that so someone stupid could read it please lol :dthumb:

·
Registered
673 Posts
Yea sorry about that bulldog, I work with computers at 2 jobs and college.

Go to Sourceforge.net and Download (DL) the peer to peer program called DC++ (direct connect). Basically you install this program, share some files, then all you have to do is join a couple lobbys. Then go to the search button and you can find anything. Basically you have access to everyones File List. Whatever they share, you have access to. It's a good program with no spyware, thats all you can ask for.

Imesh, Kazaa, Limewire and the like all have spyware, which are problem programs that embed themselves into your cookies and report to other companies what websites you visit. They also slow your computer down like a b!tch. Case and point, you dont want spyware, dont use kazaa, imesh, limewire, or AIM. Buggy programs made with spyware in them and use up memory when they dont have to.

Let me know if you got any more questions.

-Jonathan

·
Banned
3,078 Posts
i do !!!!! ummm once you go to add remove programs and u remove i mesh and AIM is it ALL gone if not what else do i do ?????

1 - 14 of 14 Posts