Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
I have seen that once before driving. I still think it would be safer to put it in the bed of the truck. Has anyone on here used it before? Let me know. :)

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
OMG, the frickin point load at the hitch would be crazy :shock: , and I would have to think it would act like a teeter-totter everytime you hit a bump. I could see maybe a dirt bike but wow. I would think it would also put a pretty good hurtin on the shocks having the weight that far rear.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
see them all the time, with people carrying bicycles or coolers, luggage etc...but a bike, a 450 + pound beast :eek: ...no thanks..i'll stick to a trailor or the bed

·
Registered
466 Posts
Class III trailer hitches are rated for 500# tongue weight, and some (Class IV & V) go up to 1400# tongue weight....really should be safe as long as the bike is properly strapped in and the tow vehicle is capable of carrying the load (most pickups are).

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
2WheelTuner said:
Class III trailer hitches are rated for 500# tongue weight, and some (Class IV & V) go up to 1400# tongue weight....really should be safe as long as the bike is properly strapped in and the tow vehicle is capable of carrying the load (most pickups are).
they get bolted to the frame of the truck , right ?

·
Registered
137 Posts
My friend bought one of those Moto-totes, trying to save a buck and some space in his garage. Said the thing vibrated like crazy in the rearview mirror. After one tense trip he sold the thing and bought a trailer... :cheers:

·
Registered
194 Posts
you'd be suprised how much most trailers vibrate through

I think that's a really nice idea, I'd do that over a trailer (which I hate towing)

·
Registered
194 Posts
CBR Rider said:
My friend bought one of those Moto-totes, trying to save a buck and some space in his garage. Said the thing vibrated like crazy in the rearview mirror. After one tense trip he sold the thing and bought a trailer... :cheers:
I was think about this a bit and something occurred to me

As I said, trailers vibrate a lot as well, but lets look at this device in particular.

This is bolted directly onto the frame of the vehicle.

Now, the tray/bed of a truck, is also bolted directly onto the frame.

Therefore, a bike on this device is going to get vibrated exactly the same amount as a bike in the rear tray/bed of a truck.

And if you tow a trailer, have you looked at the suspension of most trailers, you're even worse off (in most cases)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts