Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cops can't stop 154-mph motorcycle but get their man

GRAND HAVEN, Mich. - Authorities couldn't catch him, but they knew where to find him.

After receiving complaints in recent days about a motorcyclist repeatedly speeding on Interstate 196, deputies decided to wait for him alongside the highway early Wednesday.

They spotted the motorcyclist heading east. He was a blur as he blew past, and the deputies briefly gave chase. They clocked him doing 154 mph on a motorcycle on I-196.

"If he's going 150, obviously we're not going to catch him," said Ottawa County sheriff's Sgt. Bill DeWitt.

Deputies arrested the 21-year-old man a short time later at his job in Grand Rapids.

The man faces several charges, including speeding and fleeing and eluding authorities, said DeWitt.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0903speedingcyclist-ON.html

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
154 MPH Now that is some serious a$$ moving. :D

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's not like you're getting a read on his plate or anything at that speed! :confused: Im sure Shan can fill us in, if nobody else can.

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
There was a sportbiker in Phoenix that was caught in that speed range. They didn't know how fast he was going because their radar didn't go that high. No joke!

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ShanMan14 said:
There was a sportbiker in Phoenix that was caught in that speed range. They didn't know how fast he was going because their radar didn't go that high. No joke!
So how can they do more than cite him for wreckless driving, or something like that, if they cant prove how fast he was going ? :confused:

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
So how can they do more than cite him for wreckless driving, or something like that, if they cant prove how fast he was going ? :confused:

Pacing, timing... you name it. The radar indicates it's too fast and it if stops reading at, say, 150MPH, the police can say he was going at least 150. Who cares if it's 154, 157 or 159 at that point? It was criminal, in this case, at 65MPH.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ShanMan14 said:
Pacing, timing... you name it. The radar indicates it's too fast and it if stops reading at, say, 150MPH, the police can say he was going at least 150. Who cares if it's 154, 157 or 159 at that point? It was criminal, in this case, at 65MPH.
Very true..damn it they would be pacing a bike at 150 mph!! that'd be some seriously nerve-racking driving time. :eek:

·
Registered
53 Posts
yeah how did they find him at work? and how did he survive that long without biting it anyway via the natural selaction process?

·
Registered
3 Posts
ShanMan14 said:

Thats absolutely not true, the typical radar (kustom falcons) used by police departments can go up to 199 mph so if he was in the 150mph range, they would have an accurate account of his speed. By the way, in case you think I don't know what Im talking about, I am a cop. If you have any questions about things like this please feel free to ask me and Ill do the best I can to help you out. And I never write other bikers........ :D

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sweet.. a debate..1 cop to another!! *grabbing the popcorn* :)

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
TLRider1971 said:
Thats absolutely not true, the typical radar (kustom falcons) used by police departments can go up to 199 mph so if he was in the 150mph range, they would have an accurate account of his speed. By the way, in case you think I don't know what Im talking about, I am a cop. If you have any questions about things like this please feel free to ask me and Ill do the best I can to help you out. And I never write other bikers........ :D

I'm not going to dispute you, and in case anyone think I don't know what I'm talking about, I used to be a cop... in Tempe, AZ.

The article I'm referring to appeared in the Arizona Republic circa 1997. The kid was riding a sportbike on the North Galvin Parkway near the Phoenix Zoo. This a well-known speed corridor and special detail units frequently setup there as it's basically 'fishing'.

As a cop and a sportbike rider, I vividly remember the article. Unfortunately due to the age of the article, I can't seem to pull it out of the archives.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
OK You two hold it foe a sec. I need to get a refill on my soda and get some Ju-Ju Bees. HEHEHE :D

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
awwwee schucks!! short lived.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I wonder who it was? I know a few people who live in grand haven. I'm gonna have to check stuntlife...... :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts