Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bailed early from work today since I had nothing to do and it was clear and 75+ which it never is this time of year around here. So I head out into the backroads and am cruising down a nice, twisty road through the trees. The road is mottled with sun and shadows from the trees. It's a fairly gentle road and I was laying down into a turn about 40mph, moderate lean but nothing severe. JUST before the apex of the turn my rear wheel goes through one of the "shadows" on the road which turns out to be hiding 'something' slick and my rear tire starts pushin' out. I held on, gave enough countersteer to negate the downward drop and just waited for traction to kick in, rear only slid maybe a foot before grabbing again....:yikes:

Anyway. On a road like that, how do you spot something dark in one of the shadows in the road like that?

Just curious if any more experienced riders have some insights on this one.

PS, I looked at my odometer today and I should be breaking 3k miles in a couple of days. avg'ing 1k/mo so far! :clap:

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
When I come up on shadows I focus hard to make sure nuttins there. Good recovery though. I had that happen to me a couple of times but not that fast. My instincts take over and I catch it, but it does suck.

I average about 1330 miles a month.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I don't average crap for milage... but anyway..

G! Very good going on your near down. Sometimes it's not what you do, do..it's what you don't do that saves you. You didn't grab front break! That is where you did well!

You just have to pay close attention to the pavement conditions!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I agree about being on the track. :)

Just be glad it was the rear and not the front. Rear slides don't even phase me anymore. I still don't think I will ever be comfortable with front slides though... Actually, I think anyone who is has got to be nuts! Sliding the front is NEVER a good thing.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
lol i was out thursday and hit a streatch of forest road like that wher ethe sun and the shasows where all over the road. i slowed dwon real quick casue if i cant see the road then i aint driving fast on it.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
zx636r said:
lol i was out thursday and hit a streatch of forest road like that wher ethe sun and the shasows where all over the road. i slowed dwon real quick casue if i cant see the road then i aint driving fast on it.
636, you know, for someone who rides a Kawasaki, you're pretty smart! :lol: I'll follow that advice cause I always slow down if I can't see the road infront of me clearly.

How about this for a newbie, the day I brought my bike home it rained. The first day on it and it rains. But the newbie didn't spill! I was so proud of myself!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
lol same thing happen to me the day i brought mine home, it started drizzling and all i could think of was the guy at the dealer saying make sure ur carefull on the tires for like the first 100 mile casue there like riding on ice especially when it rains. lol what luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts