Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to TWF, but I have been reading around for about a month. I am really interested in starting to ride, but of course I have a few questions. Right now I am sellling my miata because even though it is fun, I really have been wanting a bike. Now I have some experience with dirtbikes. I haven't ridden anything bigger than a 125 though. I plan on taking some saftey classes as well. The thing is though I am a small guy. I'm 20, but I am only 5'6 and 120 lbs. I have really been looking at an SV650, Kat 600, or a 700 Interceptor, but what I really want to know is there a few bikes I can go look at that would be a good fit for me, such as a lower seat height, smaller bike. I would like to get a 500/600cc bike. I appreciate the help. Thanks,

-Ken

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
Most sportbikes can be lowered to accomidate your height. I'd say you being 120 pounds a 600 will be good for you for a WHILE. With sportbikes you can lower the front basically for free and for the rear you need a longer dog bone and some are adjustable for like 100 bcks. i suggest going to a dealer and sitting on some bikes. It depends on your budget. Did you want to get something new or used? It's easy to get ride heights off of the net so if you've sat on a 650 or a kat find out the seat height and this will be your basis on your decision. Bring a print out if you have to. There's a lot of knowledgable guys on this forum that could help you out. Welcome by the way. :dthumb:

·
Banned
3,078 Posts
i am a bigger guy but the SV650s will fit you no problem.....take the msf (saftey course) get a bike and habve fun......i am 16 and i started this year!!! i have riden dirt bikes for years and i just cought on natrually....you should have no problem on a sv650s get the s model though the regular one doesnt have the upper fairin .... here if yiou dont get what i am saying

that was the S and regular model

here is mine, well mine is blue but it is a 2001 model (more of a round look)

i got this bike for 2600 and it costs about 500 bucks a year for insurance...yes a YEAR!!!!

do some research but you will not go rong with this bike....not enoughf power to loop you (toss you) on accedent but will keep up with anything in the courners and it will hit about 135 (estimit??? not sure havent felt that much need for speed yet lol)

there you go dude!!!! :welcome: to :twfrox: man and keep the posting up

now i got to go do homework lol later

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I wanna get something used, cus if/when I dump it I don't wanna feel bad. I figure it is pretty likely to happen being as small as I am. I am looking at spend 3-4 grand as well. I appreciate the quick reply and the lowering info. That's something I gotta look at more cus it would prolly be pretty handy. As far as the SV650 i kinda like the look without the fairing, but either way I am looking at the earlier models, I don't think I can afford a new style one. Also, does anyone have any experience with a CBR Hurricane 600? I really like the look of those, chances are though I won't see one I can try. They are late 80's bikes. Thanks again,

-Ken

·
Banned
3,078 Posts
Ghost 2k said:
I wanna get something used, cus if/when I dump it I don't wanna feel bad. I figure it is pretty likely to happen being as small as I am. I am looking at spend 3-4 grand as well. I appreciate the quick reply and the lowering info. That's something I gotta look at more cus it would prolly be pretty handy. Thanks again,

-Ken
i havent dumped it yet and dont see how i will if i keep riding like i am (carefully) but it can happen but dont worry about that .... buy some frame sliders( those are like a bar thing that sticks out and looks cool too lol but it will let the bike hit that and not the paint or anything!!!! they are cheap and eay to install most of the time too!!)

like i said before i got mine for 2600 but it was a freind so he had it in the paper for 3000 but that is better then 4-5K right :dthumb:

keep us up to date whith what you get

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
Insurance is gonna be crazy for you, especially if you finance it and have to get full coverage. You can get a decent bike for 4g's. Just do some research and ask for maintenance logs if you find something you like. Also check in the beginners forum for anything you might want to know. Are you ready to buy now or what? :luck: and let us know. If you get one make sure you post the pics. Try and find some reviews and what not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Wow, 2600 and 500 for insurance. That's awesome. Who is your ins. carrier and where are you? I don't think I'll get something that cheap. I totaled my old miata about 2 yrs ago and my rates went up about 400 bucks a year.

As far as financing I won't have too since I am selling my miata to pay for the new bike. I don't have a loan out on that either so I am all set as far as that. I am looking now and as soon as my miata sells I will be ready. Hopefully not more than a few weeks till I got something.

-Ken

·
Banned
3,078 Posts
Ghost 2k said:
I wanna get something used, cus if/when I dump it I don't wanna feel bad. I figure it is pretty likely to happen being as small as I am. I am looking at spend 3-4 grand as well. I appreciate the quick reply and the lowering info. That's something I gotta look at more cus it would prolly be pretty handy. As far as the SV650 i kinda like the look without the fairing, but either way I am looking at the earlier models, I don't think I can afford a new style one. Also, does anyone have any experience with a CBR Hurricane 600? I really like the look of those, chances are though I won't see one I can try. They are late 80's bikes. Thanks again,

-Ken
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...em=4542216225&category=50034#ebayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4542348800&category=50034

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4541780571&category=50034

here are a few used ones ....look here http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/SV650K5/Default.aspx

http://www.suzukicycles.com/products/SV650K4/Default.aspx

·
Banned
3,078 Posts
Ghost 2k said:
Wow, 2600 and 500 for insurance. That's awesome. Who is your ins. carrier and where are you? I don't think I'll get something that cheap. I totaled my old miata about 2 yrs ago and my rates went up about 400 bucks a year.

As far as financing I won't have too since I am selling my miata to pay for the new bike. I don't have a loan out on that either so I am all set as far as that. I am looking now and as soon as my miata sells I will be ready. Hopefully not more than a few weeks till I got something.

-Ken
well this is for just liability but check it out on progressive.com that is what i am with.......why pay for full coverege and basically pay for your bike in just insurance in a year then what if you dont wreck....you just bought a bike for the insurence company :nonod: but in all seriousness just go for it and you WILL NOT BE DISAPOINTED!!!!!

·
Banned
3,078 Posts
oh i am in cali

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
The seating postion is different on the 650 than say a gixxer or an R6( basically and real sportbike) It is much more comfortable because you're not leaning forward too much. i sat on my buddies FZ6 and it felt like I was on a pedal bike. i don't know what your prefferance is but I think bikes with full fairings look a lot better than naked bikes, but you will pay more (new anyway). :2cents:

·
Banned
3,078 Posts
Ghost 2k said:
Yeah, no way I am gonna get full coverage on a $3000 bike. Definately liablity.

-Ken
:dthumb: you got some brains.....now since you are so smart you are going to buy ththe lil brother of my bike right
:dthumb:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like a more upright style seating position. I'd rather be more comfortable. I like the way the SV650 looks b/c I am not into the partial fairing it has with the S model. I'd rather a full fairing, but the SV seems liek a great bike otherwise.

P.S. RIGHT!

-Ken

·
Banned
3,078 Posts
Ghost 2k said:
I like a more upright style seating position. I'd rather be more comfortable. I like the way the SV650 looks b/c I am not into the partial fairing it has with the S model. I'd rather a full fairing, but the SV seems liek a great bike otherwise.

P.S. RIGHT!

-Ken
:dthumb: and here ya go for the gear portion http://newenough.com/ nobody can beat aperall from there....speedwerks is a great place for bike parts and also cloths and stuff too

and congrats on the choice (do more research if you whant but i did about 3-4 months of research while i was waiting for my age to let me get a bike so i did just about everything in research you could have done....that might not make sence but i am tired :lol:

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Ive owned a Kat 600 and now own a SV650 naked, and the SV is alot more enjoyable than the kat in my opinion. Bull doesnt like the unfaired version but i love it. A little easier to work on and accelerates harder. (lower stock gearing) Plus cheaper to buy and insure.

First things first if you get one, remove that grab bar in the rear. (improves the looks dramatically) and get the "pro" frame sliders from Intuitive Raceing :luck:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Ok those 2 are steering you right...

A SV650 is a great bike for a beginer or in general. One of the girl members of WOS rides one as well, she all of maybe 5'4" or so and touchs fine. But we also lowered it a bit with some new dog bones and puttin the forks up a bit higher in the triple clamp.

Buy your gear first! You need a desent helmet, a good RIDING jacket, RIDING gloves, and a pair of over ankle boots. Those are the BARE MIN!!!

Insurance... call State Farm... but you need to insure your car with them as well. If not Progressive will definately be your next best place... they will insure anybody and any MC!

Other than that... :whore: it up and you'll find all the info you need on TWF!!!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Yeah Get you gear when you can... there are deals all over the place...this time of the year just shop around... since you don't know what color bike you will eventfully end up with try with neutral colors... Black and Silver/chrome work well with all color bikes....

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
The black and silver is the only way to go... neutral cause you don't want to replace your gear everytime you change your bike and every time they wear out from falls...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys. When looking for a helmet what are some things I should keep in mind. As far as insurance I already have both my cars through them (State Farm) , so thats awesome.

-Ken

1 - 20 of 27 Posts