Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the Gap over the weekend to have fun as I always do, which quickly turned out to be a terrible trip. We got in late friday night, after we setup camp it was already dark and foggy. We rode about 10 miles, and decided we will wait till morning to ride.
We got up early Saturday morning and hit the road. We headed towards Cherokee as planned for Saturday. It was cold and foggy. About 2 hours in the ride rain came pouring down! We continued to ride (just not as fast) The rain would not let up for anything, so we headed back to camp. Saturday was almost a wasted day. The rain let up for a bit at sun set so we rode up to Fontana Dam just to check it out again this year. The roads were still soaked, so we just went back to the camp to drink and go to bed.

When we woke up Sunday morning rain was down pouring! Non the less I roll over and say :damn: Next thing I know my hand is laying in a pool of water! My tent was leaking!!! We all get out of our tents and drive the cars up to the lodge to check out the weather channel. They don't even have a local weather channel.

Our plans for Sunday to hit the Dragon, and Skyway were ruined! We just decided to pack up our [email protected] in the pouring rain and head for home. When we finished packing our soaked [email protected] the rain stopped and sun started to break. Go figure! As we were driving thru the dragon on the way out it was still wet spotted. It would have taken a little while for it to dry out.

I have decided to try this trip over again for the weekend of June 10th-12th. I think the FZ1 rally will be going on then...same group of guys I rode with there last year.

I have attached some pics of our trip. I want to post more but it will only allow 5.

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,183 Posts
Bummer Man! But a bad trip to the gap is better than no trip at all!

And if ya want to post more pics, just reply to yourself :)

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Man that stinks. Sorry for the misfortune. I'm going to the AMA races this weekend at Pikes Peak Internation Raceway in Colorado and I'm hoping it don't rain. I'll post pics though, could even possibly post a movie depending on my camera.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Yeah that sucks... I'm expecting at least 1 day of crappy rain when WOS goes down there... If it doesn't all the better but I'm prepared for that much. If it does more than that I think I'll get pissed!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Just noticing how you have your bike loaded in your truck...
how does it handle with the center of gravity back so far in the bed? Any reason or benefit to loading it that way?

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Yeah good point! That isn't the best way to load it!! not at all...

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reason I loaded the bike in the truck that way is so I could just ride it out of the bed. Where I just moved to PA I don't know anyone here yet to help me unload.

Also where my Colorodo Truck is the Sport, with the ZQ8 suspension it is so stiff. When I loaded the bike in the bed, it hardly squated the rear end at all. I really didn't notice any major problems driving it like that. I drove thru the dragon on the way out, and didn't notice any difference from on the way in where the bike was faceing forward.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
That's cool, I figured you had some reason for loading that way. :thumbs:
I just worry about a tiedown or something coming loose and then the bike falling right out of the truck.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
That's ok and all SV...but I wouldn't do it that way. You'd be better off going in forward, then you can ride/or idle it up into the bed. Plus most of the time you strap it down with handlebar/clip on straps and they are suppose to pull it forward... you can't do that with it in backwards!

I have loaded MANY bikes into MANY different trucks and I would strongly suggest against loading it in that way. :2cents:

·
Registered
941 Posts
True in the reason to load it forward.....as for the weight being back...it's not enough weight to make a difference...actually, loaded in backwards, the weight is mostly over the rear axle which is what you want anyway so you shouldn't notice anything but as for Gas's comment about pulling it forward while tieing it down....I totally agree. Would hate to tie it forward...meaning backwards against a tailgate and then have the tailgate drop!! OUCH.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
SV, understand that I or anybody else are trying to give you a hard time. As I said before about me loading bikes, I also load front loaders, back hoes, bobcats, tractors, excavators, lawn mowers...and more on the job and I've gotten pretty good about loading stuff...

·
Registered
941 Posts
Gas Man said:
SV, understand that I or anybody else are trying to give you a hard time. As I said before about me loading bikes, I also load front loaders, back hoes, bobcats, tractors, excavators, lawn mowers...and more on the job and I've gotten pretty good about loading stuff...
you said "hoes"

:sorry: I'm being :screwy: today. I'm stressed out but that's another topic for another thread. Not trying to :jacked:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I knew somebody was going to say something about that.. I knew it as I typed it..

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its all good, It was just an easier way for me to unload. The tailgate is adjustable, so it was about 1/2 way up and the bike had no pressure on the tail gate. I had 5 straps securing the bike 2 off the handle bars, 2 on the rear sets pulling the bike towards the cab, and one strap locking the rear wheel from moving just in case it for some reason did. I am a short person so loading and unloading by myself is a trick, I just don't want to drop it.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gas, I read It; all makes perfect since. I need to get a 2nd ramp, one for me! I still don't think I will feel compfortable walking the bike up the ramp at idol, I just have a fear of dropping it on the bed sides.

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
What do you mean the tailgate is adjustable? I'm intrigued by this. I'll probably get the Colorado for my next ride.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
SVupON1 said:
Gas, I read It; all makes perfect since. I need to get a 2nd ramp, one for me! I still don't think I will feel compfortable walking the bike up the ramp at idol, I just have a fear of dropping it on the bed sides.
I'm tellin ya...it is the best way! If you're worried about it just have a spotter...

I sually have some spot me from a distance so I don't rol the tire off, but I won't have that problem anymore with my new ramps...

Check out motorcycleramps.com they have every ramp imaginable!

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've been to the site. But remember I just moved to PA and I don't know anyone yet. So no spotter yet. I would like to get a new set of ramps tho.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.