Two Wheel Forums banner

Did I do right or was I lucky?

2809 Views 33 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  ShanMan14
Hey all, I've been chewing over my last ride home for a few days now as I like to go back over all my rides mentally to review what I did right/wrong/etc and I would like some input from the experienced riders here...

Scene: It's roughly 7pm and POURING rain as I'm coming down my normal road home. Almost exactly where I bring the bike up and exiting a long, left turn there was a patch of asphalt that when dry looks and acts identically to the rest of the road (@ 3ftx4ft rectangle) but when WET it becomes a slip 'n slide apparently. Anyway, as I came around the turn at around 30mph and right as I came up I felt the front tire push out slightly due to the wet surface. My reaction here (and this is what I'm curious on) was to lightly countersteer the push and IMMEDIATELY grab full clutch in order to get power off the rear wheel. My reasoning on that was that if the engine wasn't pushing the rear it would be less likely to skid out. Everything worked out fine but I am wondering if that was really a correct way of handling that situation or if there is a better way I could have done that.

Thanks All

:bluemc:
-G
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 34 Posts
Becca_007 said:
Interesting question. I know when it's dry or in snow you are supposed to keep constant speed through the throttle to regain traction but this is when it applies to karts. I really don't know about bikes.

She is right. You should have kept the gas on smooth and it would would have pulled you out of that slide. Also letting up on the gas would have loaded the force of the weight tranfer on you front wheel which is not the right thing to do. Im going with lucky.
Guideon72 said:
636- I hear ya there! That was a SCARY ride with too many harder turns, I kept slowing WAY down 'cause I didn't feel comfortable leaning on those turns with that much water on the road.

Twisty- Does disengaging the clutch load the front end the same way that rolling off throttle does?

Thanks All! :)

:bluemc:
-G
Any release of the gas will cause loading on the front wheel, it just how these things work. You dont have to gas the bike, but just crack the gas open so the bike weight transfer is around 40 on the front and 60 on the back. The back tire is bigger so you can put more load on it.
Douge said:
Actually, whenever you cut the throttle or disengage the clutch as you did, you are transfering weight to the front of the bike. :bash:

Everyone should read "twist of the wrist I/II" especially twisty.

I think thats what I said DICKY, how about you learn to read before you go post whoring around :loser:
:nonod:
Douge said:
Umm FU and the bike you rode in on. Sorry Shan, I don't need this kind of crap. I did misread it, I thought Twisty was the poster.

People are so cranky. Your not worth the time it would take to post somthing clever. :yaewn:
Douge said:
My guess is that this is as good as it gets. :luck:
What part of "Not worth the time" didnt he understand :screwy: Must have misread that too.... :dupe:
zx636r said:
popcorn anyone, get ur popcorn.
beer here get ur beer here.
Could I have extra butter? :wink:
Anyway I'm just glad the guy didnt wad the bike up.
Its called I took my little white pill this morning...Thanks Pippi
I midol a pill? I thought it was liquid...
1 - 9 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.