Two Wheel Forums banner

Rain Rider?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never been a rain rider, but I'm planning a long trip and I'm sure I'll be getting a shower at some point. Any tips?

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
Rain gear! Get some good textile rain gear. I actually enjoy ridingin the rain, most of the time. In the summer it really cools things off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Back when I had my Concours I didn't mind the rain at all. It had great protection from the elements.

I hate riding the VFR in the rain.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
ShanMan14 said:
How fast are you riding?! :shock:
:lol: I wear a jacket, etc, but if the rain gets between the helmet and jacket that can hurt, or when it hits your legs. Interstate speeds, so 70ish I guess.

Really I just don't like to ride in the rain. . it's dangerous enough w/ the idiots on the road as it is, add rain to the mix and I think I'd rather be in a cage. :bonk:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dont ever plan on it or decide to take a ride in bad weather but have been caught in it many times.. Just slow down and deal with it.. :bike: :hi:

·
Registered
955 Posts
smooth is the key,smooth throttle, brake smooth, take turns smooth etc,, dont do any quick or jerky movements in the rain.....

i use to race in the rain and that really taught me how to be smooth...also you can brake pretty hard in the wet, you just cant hammer the lever, just progressively squeeze it....

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't leave home when it's raining, but if I get caught out there and it starts, I just take it slow and try not to brake too hard.

Just be extra careful and carry a good rain suit.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Ridding in rain does not bother me, but I try to avoid it :bike:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Yeah, rain hurts..not the big old fat rain, but those little stinging rain drops can hurt if you dont have the proper gear on.

I like riding in the rain, its great practice, and it really makes you keep your wits about you, and your mind focused. I try to not ride when it first starts raining, since all the dirt/oil/debris rises to the top of the surface and doesnt have time to wash away, and that can be dangerously slick..but after alittle while..just keep it smooth, and you'll be fine.

Good way to keep your skills tuned, and mind focused..not that anybody should ever lose focus when your riding anyways...but, you know..

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Yeah this is a good thread!!! Good find MLKx3!!!

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Gas Man said:
Yeah this is a good thread!!! Good find MLKx3!!!

OK PostWhore....you just posted to a thread that has not had a response for the last 9 months..... :bash:

And who is MLKx3??

·
Registered
241 Posts
I don't mind the rain that much as long as visibility isn't real bad. It does kind of make you focus a little more than normal weather riding. Sounds bad but its true!!!

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
I don't leave the house on the bike if its raining.
If I'm on a trip or get caught in it, I take the extra precautions like slowing down, increasing following distance which allows more stopping distance.
Basically all the same thing I do in a cage.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts