Two Wheel Forums banner

" Donorcyclist" article

4K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  JK_DILLA 
#1 ·
This article was given to me by my first sergant. It is part of a base wide awareness program. The USAF is losing too many airmen to motorcycle accidents. Just wanted to post it, to see what everyone things.

Meet: Two-lane rural road

Death toll: 1,366 motorcyclists

If Death went retail, he'd open a motorcycle dealership. With sales figures doubling since 1998, bikes are booming—as are visits to the E.R., where staff call the brain-dead Easy Riders "donorcyclists." Fatalities among motorcycle riders and passengers spiked 12 percent in 2003, continuing an upward trend that began eight years ago. In fact, based on miles ridden, a motorcyclist is 21 times more likely to die in a crash than a guy driving a ho-hum Elantra.

Survive it: You're tooling down the road on your motorcycle when an onrushing car turns left in your path. "A lot of guys panic. They lock up the brakes and lay the bike down rather than T-bone the car," says Pat Hahn, a spokesman for the Minnesota Motorcycle Safety Center and the author of Ride Hard, Ride Smart: Ultimate Street Strategies for Advanced Motorcyclists. Bad move. Chrome and flesh slide faster than rubber, so save your skin, literally and figuratively, by staying upright. "It's almost impossible to flip a bike," says Hahn, recommending that you squeeze the front brake lever "like you're squeezing juice out of an orange." Begin soft, then squeeze progressively harder while steering in a straight line. "Your goal," he says, "is to get the speed down to buy yourself one or two seconds for the car to turn."

Provided by Men's Health

See less See more
#3 ·
JK_DILLA said:
i agree with staying upright as long as possible. Truthfully, id rather be ejected over the car than jammed under.:2cents:
:withstupi If we all could just get it through our thick skulls to look where we need to go instead of at where we think we might go. Hardly any accidents would ever happen car or bike.

#5 ·
JK_DILLA said:
Fortunately i found out i dont suffer from that. lucky for me... whew.
Your better than me. I found myself dragging hard parts today. I thought I was going in the ditch. I really had to force myself to look on around the corner. I did after it was almost to late but, still managed to pull through.:crazy:

#9 ·
It's kinda hard to practice instincts. You can say that you're gonna do something but your instincts just take over. Hopefully you have good ones. When i went down i tried to ride my bike off road. No dice. I was going slow enough so I jumped off. i never fell to the ground. I was proud of my instincts that day.

#10 ·
DLITALIEN said:
It's kinda hard to practice instincts. You can say that you're gonna do something but your instincts just take over. Hopefully you have good ones. When i went down i tried to ride my bike off road. No dice. I was going slow enough so I jumped off. i never fell to the ground. I was proud of my instincts that day.
True... but all instincts are are reactions that your brain has been taught to do... practice and they will become second nature... or Instinct.

:jacked: for example... I got up here last January... and always though I was pretty good at driving in the snow... never went into a ditch... but after riding with some of my friends they I realized that all I knew was about normal driving not if I was sliding or what not... I had just been lucky that I'd never experience it... I found a wide open snow dump site. basicly a big open dirt field leveld where they put the snow piles in the winter, it had about a foot of snow on the ground and that's it... it was about a 1/4mile square. and I drove arround forcing myself to skid, slide, spin out... and tried everything to recover... some times I could... but mostly... I just slid untill I the tires grabbed out of no influence of mine... took me about 4 weeks of doing this almost every night... (I'm not gonna lie it was a freak'n blast!) untill I seriously could pull my self out of just about anything... but I still hadn't had an acutal instance where I had to react and do it though... untill two weeks ago... I had a car jump the median on the free-way and slide sidways twords me ... my first reaction was to throw it back into 2WD to kick the tail end out... then back in 4wd and point straight for the side of the road... the truck did exactly what I wanted... and I missed the car... however... the truck behind me slammed on it's brakes the same time I did all this and ended up skidding into the car that jumped the median... everyone was ok... but had I hit that car it would have been much worse...

anyways... just a (long winded) example... practice helps...( :jacked: over)

#12 ·
snakemann said:
God forbid any journalist ever write an article encouraging the distracted motorists that inundate American roads to look out for bikers and stay focused instead of distorting the facts to sound like being a rider is a death wish.
:iagree: but what are we goig to do to change mainstream mind setting??

#14 ·
ebbs15 said:
unfortuantly I don't think there's much you can do to CHANGE it... when ther's A** holes out there doing this type of stuff... all we can do is NOT ADD to it... :2cents:
i agree with not adding to it, but the ignorant mindset had to start somewhere, so its possible for an informed mindset to start too. I would like to know what the Drivers ED includes. When i got my lisence, the book didnt even acknowledge the possibility of a motorcycle sharing the highways.

#15 ·
JK_DILLA said:
but the ignorant mindset had to start somewhere, so its possible for an informed mindset to start too. I would like to know what the Drivers ED includes. When i got my lisence, the book didnt even acknowledge the possibility of a motorcycle sharing the highways.
True... but IMHO in todays society is faster to jump on the negitive parts of a subject rather than the positive part... it's alot like your credit... one little mistake will take a alot of good actions to be erased... and with these guys continuing to add to the "little mistakes" daily... I'm not sure our credit with the rest of america is going anywhere but :flush: again my :2cents:

and now that you mention it... i dont' remember anything about motorcycles in my DL test or Drivers Ed... though they did mention giving extra room to Semi's... why not say the same for motorcycles?:scratch:

#16 ·
True... but IMHO in todays society is faster to jump on the negitive parts of a subject rather than the positive part... it's alot like your credit... one little mistake will take a alot of good actions to be erased... and with these guys continuing to add to the "little mistakes" daily... I'm not sure our credit with the rest of america is going anywhere but again my
any change will be years away, even a small one, because people think that changing their minds or perception is a sign of weakness. In a small way, it begins with us, and our parents who rode. Just like you dont realise how many bikes are around till you are interested in one. Then you see them everywhere, the more its brought up the more its recognised unconciously.

and now that you mention it... i dont' remember anything about motorcycles in my DL test or Drivers Ed... though they did mention giving extra room to Semi's... why not say the same for motorcycles?
thats what i was thinking. They teach to make concessions to things bigger than you, not smaller with equal right. I'd like to talk to someone about this.

#17 ·
JK_DILLA said:
any change will be years away, even a small one, because people think that changing their minds or perception is a sign of weakness. In a small way, it begins with us, and our parents who rode. Just like you dont realise how many bikes are around till you are interested in one. Then you see them everywhere, the more its brought up the more its recognised unconciously.
EXACTLY... rest assured... when my kids turn 16... they'll be taking the MSF THEN Drivers Safty... even though I don't think I'd let them ride till they were 18 anyways...

JK_DILLA said:
thats what i was thinking. They teach to make concessions to things bigger than you, not smaller with equal right. I'd like to talk to someone about this.
Personally I think it's something a group like the AMA should be looking into... I don't think there would be too much of a fight to get that added in...

personally I think that everyone should have to take the MSF when they do Drivers ED... but then again... drivers ed isn't requied either... :wbs: :wbs:

#18 ·
pulled this from the la DMV manual. I didnt even know it was in there. Right after the sharing the road with bicycles section. Seems to cover most of it.
SHARING THE ROAD WITH MOTORCYCLES
Today’s motorcycle riders are friends, relatives, and neighbors, but many car drivers still have not
adjusted to motorcycles appearing in traffic. Traveling by motorcycle is appealing to some people;
they are fuel and space efficient and can be just plain fun to ride. But there is a flip side.

Motorcyclists are more vulnerable to injury than a car driver if involved in an accident. Research
shows that over two-thirds of the car/motorcycle accidents are the results of a car driver turning in
front of a motorcyclist. Motorcyclists and cars need to mix in traffic without causing harm to each
other.

Motorcycles present a narrow silhouette and are usually much shorter in length than an automobile.
The small profile of the motorcycle may make it appear farther away and traveling slower than it
actually is. Because it is difficult to judge the motorcycle’s distance and speed, car drivers need to
take a second look, and then a third. Its small size also makes it more difficult to spot in traffic than
another car. Some motorcyclists take advantage of their small size and maneuverability. They may
cut between cars and put themselves in places where drivers cannot see them. Be alert for a
motorcycle to appear unexpectedly.

Because of a motorcycle’s size, its position within a lane of traffic will change as traffic conditions
change. The motorcyclist should position himself in the lane to see and be seen. Often this means
riding in the left portion of the traffic lane to allow a better view of traffic and road situations. It
also makes the motorcycle more visible to other traffic. However, as traffic and road conditions
change, the rider may move. This move could be to the center of the lane or even to the right side
to avoid traffic or to be seen by others on the road.

Most drivers take for granted the ability of their automobile to handle minor road hazards such as
potholes, strong winds or railroad tracks. Minor problems for the four-wheeled vehicle can be
major problems for motorcycles. The cyclist will change position within the lane to increase the
distance from potential hazards. These lateral movements sometimes occur suddenly. Motorists
need to be alert for these sudden changes in position and direction, and drive accordingly. Respect
the vehicle space of a motorcycle and its position in traffic. Motorcycles are allowed the full width
of a lane in which to maneuver. Refrain from sharing a lane with a motorcycle. It restricts the
rider’s ability to avoid hazardous situations.

Because a motorcycle has the right to a full traffic lane, pass it just as you would another car. Don’t
pass too fast or too close. The wind blast of large, fast moving vehicles can blow a motorcycle out
of control.

Intersections are the most likely places for car/motorcycle collisions to occur. This usually is the
result of a car driver NOT SEEING the motorcycle and turning into the motorcycle’s path.
Misinterpreting a cyclist’s intentions can also lead to problems. A cyclist will change lane position
to prepare for upcoming traffic conditions. The cyclist will move to one side of the lane in
preparation for a turn or possibly to move away from a hazard unseen by other motorists. Do not
assume the cyclist’s intention until the maneuver is unmistakably started, such as a turn into an
intersection or driveway. Also, turn signals do not automatically shut off on a motorcycle and
cyclists occasionally forget to cancel them after a turn is completed. Make sure you know what the
cyclist is going to do BEFORE you move into the motorcycle’s path.
When driving behind a motorcycle, allow at least a 2-second following distance. This provides the
cyclist enough room to maneuver or stop in an emergency. Due to its vulnerable nature and the
difficulty motorists have in judging a motorcycle’s speed and distance, space between the two
vehicles should be increased to avoid sudden braking. Both cyclists and drivers are more likely to
make incorrect decisions if there is not enough stopping distance or ability to see and react to
conditions. This leads to accidents. A cyclist’s chances of injury are greater if forced to
avoid obstacles ahead, as well as a driver following too closely. Remember that tailgating a
motorcycle in your car is comparable to an 18-wheeler tailgating you!

The single headlight and single tail light of a motorcycle can blend into the lights of other vehicles.
This can cause you to misjudge distance.
Always dim your headlights for a motorcycle just as required for other vehicles.
230374_DrvrsGde.qxd 3/13/2003 1:17 PM Page 53

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.