Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got to Fort Bliss, where I'm getting a job as a civilian network administrator (decent pay). But anyways, the R6 is the only thing I have here to ride so I went to go on the base to find out what was going on and see some friends. I go to get a pass and they said no. Tell me that you have to get "recertified". I was like, "I just took the MSF course on May 8th". They said, "No, it's a Fort Bliss recertification." I was like why? They said two Sergeant Majors got hurt riding bikes. Come to find out that one guy, who was actually one of the MSF Beginner Course instructors went out riding one night, got tanked and tried to see if he and his bike could win a fight against an 18wheeler and rammed it right into the back end of the trailer. He died. The other guy, well he was riding in between two cars and a car came from behind the car following him, passed that car and just bolted back into the lane never checking. That guy got severely injured but is supposed to be ok. So yeah, after about 2hours of discussion with my old boss, a full-bird Colonel, he revoked the 2star generals stupid policy and now bikes are allowed back on, well for civilians at least, but the military people still have to get this "recertification".

·
Registered
109 Posts
My command's doing the same thing here. Wouldn't let me ride on base until I was "certified." It at least made sense for me, a relative newbie with a couple accidents. I'll bet the experienced guys really chafe at it.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
ShanMan14 said:
Look at it this way, since you just completed the MSF the "recertification" should be a breeze.
Yeah as long as it didn't take all day or somin stupid!

·
Registered
43 Posts
i just got out of the army. and im not positive about all branches but every army base you have to pass a class to ride on base.oh and i was stationed at ft benning GA ,2 year waiting period. :dupe: :cry:

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ShanMan14 said:
Look at it this way, since you just completed the MSF the "recertification" should be a breeze.
Their "recertification" is just another road-test but on your bike, kinda like what I heard the Advanced-MSF course is.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kilrgsxr750 said:
i just got out of the army. and im not positive about all branches but every army base you have to pass a class to ride on base.oh and i was stationed at ft benning GA ,2 year waiting period. :dupe: :cry:

I was at Ft. Benning, GA from July 04-May 05. The only requirement from DoD is that you must have the MSF course. That's it. Most of the installations just require that and nothing else besides protective gear.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Their have been 26 motorcycle accidents resulting in 13 deaths this year to date so far. Most all of the preliminary loss reports I have seen have involved alcohol or a speed that exceeded the riders abilities. When a young soldier gets a little money the first thing he can afford is generally a motorcycle and it is a cool thing to have. It is a serious issue for the Army and preventable fatalities. But like all good intentions the mass punishment, a.k.a, additional safety training/certification doesn't take into consideration experience and the squidly factor.

I had a soldier that was working for me two years ago lose control of his bike in the parking lot without wearing the right gear and almost died and ended up being at Fort Benning for almost two years trying to get stabilized before medical discharge. When I last talked to him he could barely talk, it messed up his upper spinal cord/nerves.

The students at the (Fort Bliss) Sergeant Majors Academy are no different than any other soldier in many respects even though they have generally been in the military probably 18-20 years. Most are just coming back from Iraq, Asscrackistan, and other less than desirable exotic locals. Many have not come down from their previous environment and need to blow off stream, deal with family issues that have waited while they were gone, as well as go right into a demanding school environment for the next 6-9 months, not the most relaxing environment to focus on the task of riding a bike on the street. :2cents:

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
WOW...when I was in and got moved around from base to base...all I had to do was show really quick I know how to ride and wear a green reflector vest while on base. Took less then 10mins everytime when I got to a new base.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
f4i... there was just a documentary on this on like 20/20 or somin like that!

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
Luckily I got my base "privelages" before they enforced the mentor ride. You have to go on a ride with a higher up so they can determine if you're a good rider and if you are then you will get authorization to ride on base w/ the MSF course (which is free to active duty guys stationed here). There is ways around it but if you get caught, get your blues ready.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
All this stuff sounds like it sucks!

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
I think it's great...I practice slow speed moves on a regular basis and don't mind getting to show off a little, because I can pass the written or riding test anytime...Riding a bike is a tremendous responsibility, and knowing the basics is just as important as wearing your PPE. It doesn't take that long to review the current edition of the "Rules of the Road" and y'all should be practicing your circles and fig 8's anyway...

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
GREAT NEWS:

I found out that they are only enforcing that little "recertification BS" with MILITARY PEOPLE. They realized that they can't force sillivillians to do that! WHOO! I'm in the clear for once!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Grafixx01 said:
GREAT NEWS:

I found out that they are only enforcing that little "recertification BS" with MILITARY PEOPLE. They realized that they can't force sillivillians to do that! WHOO! I'm in the clear for once!

Beware of those thoughts. If you are in a civil service postion (GS/WG Positions) the commanders have very similiar control over the civilian workforce. If you are a civilian contractor the hiring and firing is pretty brutal. And everyone is setting an example for the younger soldiers on the post. Fort Bliss is a training facility which I'm sure you are aware of with a lot of "just old enough to do stupid things" kids.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
F4i I was thinking the same thing. They are your employer, and I'm sure you are there at your own will. With that, they can force you do whatever they want, especially in the relm of safety. You may have won this battle for now but don't hold your breath too long... it might come back and get ya.

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Gas Man said:
F4i I was thinking the same thing. They are your employer, and I'm sure you are there at your own will. With that, they can force you do whatever they want, especially in the relm of safety. You may have won this battle for now but don't hold your breath too long... it might come back and get ya.
:withstupi

1 - 20 of 22 Posts