Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so today I went to the dealer and put a down-payment on a Yamaha R6 (2005) so that the dealer will hold it. Funny thing was that thing is still in the crate from Yamaha!

Anyways, my question is that I was told that for like the first 40-50miles on the bike, you should not take it out on like major roads or highways. This is because there is a wax coating on the tires which will cause the bike to maybe slip out from under you. Is this true?

And if this is true? Is there anything that I can do to not have to do so? Like I know someone who took a soft grade sandpaper and rubbed it around the tire. Not taking off tread, just to get some grip on new treads.

Thanks for the answers everyone,

Grafixx

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
New motorcycle tires are like ice. Just don't do any fast accels or quick braking, take it easy on the turns also. Don't forget there is a breakin period on the engine as well. I'm not sure what Yamaha reccomends, but no excessive speed over 55 mph, and no hard accels for the first 500 to 1000 miles.. I know it sucks because you just wanna lace into it after you get the feel for the bike. Just take it easy for a while. Also thats a no no on the sandpaper on the tires, just take it easy the tires will be ok after some riding on them.
Congrats on the bike! What color did you get?

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Use a Scotch Bright pad for the tires if you must.
I will take a new set and go straight to the track.
Just take it easy as already said.
You need to brake in the motor anyway.
Congrats on the new bike! :dthumb:

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SVupON1,

I got red. They only had one black (Raven) and one red. I chose the red cause I don't want the black in the heat. Figure it'll be a lot hotter than the red, but the red will allow for a little, however slight, more reflection for oncoming cars.

Thanks for the information. I wasn't really gonna do the sandpaper but my friend did it to his.

Thanks again,

Grafixx

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
When I bought my bike it was red, but I really didn't want a red bike (I just couldn't pass up the deal), so I had it custom painted dark blue with a marble effect in it with blue flake.

I've heard the black raven seems to be cursed anyway. Alot of people have already wrecked the black raven.

Enjoy the new ride.

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
Nice man. Yeah take it easy for a while on that thing. the tires will wear in time. Don't go above 7 for the first 600. After that don't go above 10,000 until you reach 1000 miles. After that, have a field day. Now hurry up and get rid of that ugly fender and blinkers. I want some pics yo!

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
DLITALIEN said:
Nice man. Yeah take it easy for a while on that thing. the tires will wear in time. Don't go above 7 for the first 600. After that don't go above 10,000 until you reach 1000 miles. After that, have a field day. Now hurry up and get rid of that ugly fender and blinkers. I want some pics yo!
:iagree: :twfrox:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
beanz said:
You just need to heat cycle them so those chemicals will be release from the tires and scrubed off..
While this may be true... let's not suggest it!

Most people can't do that safely... and furthermore, this is his first street bike EVER!

Try the scrub off method via a scrub pad or whatever... but take it easy... you're new, the tires are new, and the bike is new!! Let's not F'up any of the above!

Oh and :whore: about it some more!

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again for all the advice everyone. I appreciate it greatly.

And I guess that's my new nickname eh Jeeps, D and GasMan? I mean "Post Whore" ? Can I at least be like "Post Whore Jr?" :lol: :cheers: :lol: :twfrox:

Thanks,

G

·
Registered
543 Posts
Congrats on the new bike, Grafixx!!!

But come on...you know the drill around here -

:nopicsbs:

LOL

Ride safe, ride often and remember to keep the shiny side up :D

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guideon,

I bought it but I don't have it yet. The bike is still being put together cause it was in the crate from Yamaha still. When I get it, next week, I'll get some pictures of it and put 'em up JUST FOR YOU! Kidding, but really, I'll upload some pics.

G

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Just take it easy on the tires for 100 miles.

As for engine break in, there are a lot of theories. Baby it and change the rpms, or dirve the living shyt out of it and break it in like you mean it. I've done both and have never noticed a difference. So, drive like you stole it. . after the MSF, of course. lol

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now why would you chose a Scotts' versus GPR, Ohlins or another? I like the look of the GPR but what advantages / disadvantages are one over the other?

I know that this thread was already started, but I just wanted it in short if anyone has it?

G

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
Low said:
And after you receive your bike your first AMP should be a Scotts Steering Stabilizer/ Damper...Scotts Performance Parts
Hey Graff, there's an ebay auction for one right now. Just put in 04 r6 and check out the pages. I know you have an 05 but it will work on it I think. It's at 255 right now, and it's too much for my budget. Just thought you might be interested.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the information D, I've been skeptical about buying anything off eBay cause I had bad experiences with them before. Or at least the sellers.

G

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
I just ordered a tire hugger that matches the rear tail. There's like four coats of clear on that bad boy...mad shiny. I also bought a custom exhaust hanger so I can take off the stock pegs. None has come in yet, but I'll let you know. I just purchased yesterday.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well, I just got back from my local dealer and had a look at the 05 R-6. I was :drool: all over it. I was looking for a CBR, but too pricey, well, it looks like I'm down to an R6 or GSXR 600. I haven't had a chance to check out that GSXR yet, hopefully, maybe I will get to that today. And good luck with the new bike.

·
Banned
3,078 Posts
Danger H said:
Well, I just got back from my local dealer and had a look at the 05 R-6. I was :drool: all over it. I was looking for a CBR, but too pricey, well, it looks like I'm down to an R6 or GSXR 600. I haven't had a chance to check out that GSXR yet, hopefully, maybe I will get to that today. And good luck with the new bike.
i like the gixxer 600 over the R6 but i like the R1 over the gixxer 1000 :scratch:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts