Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you Cats wear Ear plugs when you ride and how often do you wear them...?

I figured out Saturday evening after the butt burner that I need to start wearing them. I ended up staying up till like 1 AM cuz I could still hear the road as if I was still riding. Monday and Tuesday I just ride to work and I could still hear the wind flying by for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I wear them ALL the time.

Having worked in a factory before, and being ignorant at the time about hearing loss. I try and protect what hearing ability I have left.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
well i will be wearing them since i got my micron pipe on. that thing sounds like its and inch away from ur ear.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
HJC will work for me casue a sumoy or arai or shoei are like 400-600 now thats crazy there still only dot and snell approved. i wish i had it to spend casue i love the helmets but if i buy hjc then i got like 300-500 to spend on the bike. lol. i love the sumoy helmets or however you spell it.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I know many people that buy cheaper helmets and wear ear plugs...

I have never wore ear plugs when riding... but I have had that road noise thing after riding before and yes it sucks...

·
Registered
955 Posts
ya, if you have a real good shoi etc, the noise difference is amazing compared to a 90 dollar hjc....you sort of get what u pay for....and it seems that hardly any wind noise is a major plus for the more expensive helmets.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Well, Sunday was REALLY windy and I did notice quite a bit of wind noise with the Scorpion. However, I haven't worn a $600 Arai or Shoei yet, so I can't get an idea as to the difference. I wonder if the local dealer would let me "borrow" an expensive helmet on a windy day so I can check out the differences? :lol: That's the one bad thing about this sport is that you can't really "test" items first to find out what you like.

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,183 Posts
My HJC CL-14 seems to cut down on it quite a bit better than my other CL-12. I think HJC is getting better in that dept. The CL14 also weighs a lot less than the 12, but nowhere near as light as an Arai. I put those on and am just amazed, feels like you are wearing a paper bag helmet or something.

As for the ear plugs, I usually wear my MP3 player which has ear plug style headphones, so even if you arent listening they work as earplugs.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Nope, never worn any ear plugs. My Scorpion does a pretty good job of keeping the windnoise down, although there is still some there especially when it's really windy out. Not that bad at all though. And with my stock exhaust, the bike is so damn quiet I can barely hear it either, LOL

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Captain Morgan said:
That's the one bad thing about this sport is that you can't really "test" items first to find out what you like.
Captain, that's the great thing about going to motorcycle shows. You can read about how great some bikes or helmets are, but at the shows you can actually try them on for fit. We are all different sizes, so fit is very important, especially helmets. And like Twisty says, if it fits right the noise will be low.

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
The only time I would consider ear plugs is riding next to my buddies ZX6R with a full D&D system. That thing is loud as f_ck! Other than that I don't need 'em. I hope I don't hear the road even though I'm at home or work. that's weird.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
I wear em all day at work and the ride home. yeah Im trying to save what hearing i have left too. It also helps me concentrate better, blocking out the 'scratch' (what i call random noise) and hearing the motor better.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
DLITALIEN said:
The only time I would consider ear plugs is riding next to my buddies ZX6R with a full D&D system. That thing is loud as f_ck! Other than that I don't need 'em. I hope I don't hear the road even though I'm at home or work. that's weird.
What did you say? Can you speak up!! :lol:

If you want to talk LOUD... Twisty's old TL1000 with a full D&D and head work was STUPID LOUD!!!

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
No Worries said:
Captain, that's the great thing about going to motorcycle shows. You can read about how great some bikes or helmets are, but at the shows you can actually try them on for fit. We are all different sizes, so fit is very important, especially helmets. And like Twisty says, if it fits right the noise will be low.

As for the Scorpion, I tried it on at the dealer, but it's not like you can take off for a ride with it on. It definitely fits well. It felt the same as an Arai on my head, except for weight. However, I couldn't see myself shelling out an extra $400 just for a weight difference.

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
I don't always wear ear plugs but, should. It depends on how fast I leave the house and weather I remembered to get some from work.
I have worn the Scorpion helmets and yes a RF 1000 Shoei is much quieter. Forget the HJC's and other junk.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll be doing another 400+ mile trip Saturday... this time I will be sure to have my ear plugs in....

yeah Gas Man I Know.... Coughisuckcough :hug:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts