Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, obvious enough. Is this bad for the bike? I was explained that all it really is when you pull the clutch in so that you slow down really quickly like adding to your braking while using your brakes?

Is that correct? And is it bad?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
you have to hav eth clutch out, basically its jsut down shifting and lettign ir run at higher rpm. as far as i knwo its not gonna hurt anyghin

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gotcha. I thought that it was when you pull the clutch in? I notice a HUGE loss of power when I do that. It actually helped me stop from sliding today into a curb in the rain. (second time out in rain and this was an actual storm)

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Engine braking is the idea of taking your engine from high RPMs to low RPM's in gear... at least in this version.

An actual engine brake on a semi is a valve over the exhaust manifold and it closes some and slows the truck down...

It is not bad for the bike...you will find that your bike can take a beating much harder than you will ever be able to give it! Stop worring so much!!

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gas Man said:
Engine braking is the idea of taking your engine from high RPMs to low RPM's in gear... at least in this version.

An actual engine brake on a semi is a valve over the exhaust manifold and it closes some and slows the truck down...

It is not bad for the bike...you will find that your bike can take a beating much harder than you will ever be able to give it! Stop worring so much!!

Ok, thanks Gas Man. I will stop worring, it's just so easy to do so. Kinda comes naturally when you're getting OLD.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
do worry about downshifting too much. It is possible to get out of control engine braking. Like slamming on your rear brake at speed, only alot more abrupt and sudden.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you're still in the process of learning the bike, I suggest that you try not to be too concerned with engine breaking but instead try to match the optimum rpm when you shift through the gears. It is possible to highside if you are not careful with downshifting with these supersports.

On a side note, I usually maintain a pretty high rpm in the twisties and use engine breaking before the turns (if necessary) so I hardly use brakes anymore.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Samurai_Jack said:
If you're still in the process of learning the bike, I suggest that you try not to be too concerned with engine breaking but instead try to match the optimum rpm when you shift through the gears. It is possible to highside if you are not careful with downshifting with these supersports.

On a side note, I usually maintain a pretty high rpm in the twisties and use engine breaking before the turns (if necessary) so I hardly use brakes anymore.
I totally agree with Samuri completely... I do the same thing... I always have the 9R wound up pretty high in the twisties and just let off the gas prior to the corner...

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Oh yeah... I'm as smooth as silk...baby!! :dthumb:

·
Banned
3,078 Posts
Grafixx01 said:
Ok, obvious enough. Is this bad for the bike? I was explained that all it really is when you pull the clutch in so that you slow down really quickly like adding to your braking while using your brakes?

Is that correct? And is it bad?
you just drop a gear then releace clutch slowly until you get the feel of it .... then you can do it natrually and dont even use that mutch brake

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Nine29 said:
The engine is for accelerating, the brakes are for slowing it down . . .
:skep: I'm sure that many people including pro racers use their motors to slow them down...

Are you trying to tell me that if you are in second gear at 10K RPM and you need to scrub off 20MPH you wouldn't just back off the throttle?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
i use engine braking to do alot of my breaking b4 corners and even during normal riding

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
I think everybody lets the engine do some of the braking. :2cents:

Do the V Twins have a Jake brake?

It sure feels like it. :lol:

·
Banned
3,078 Posts
lol i dont think so jeeps

·
Registered
893 Posts
Gas Man said:
:skep: I'm sure that many people including pro racers use their motors to slow them down...

Are you trying to tell me that if you are in second gear at 10K RPM and you need to scrub off 20MPH you wouldn't just back off the throttle?
There's a difference between decelleration and engine braking. Letting off the throttle to slow down isn't what we're talking about - the rear wheel speed and engine speed are never mis-matched, you just let off the throttle.

And yes, use the brakes to slow down, engine to go faster. One the the hardest things to manage is engine braking, and it's why all MotoGP bikes have slipper clutches, and now that technology is trickling down to production bikes (GSXR1000, Kawasaki 600/636/10). Factory teams in the AMA use slipper clutches for a reason :D

And ... having just installed one in my R6 and ridden it at Summit ... IT ROCKS. Click of downshifts, dump the clutch, turn in the bike ... no engine braking, no sliding. Makes it feel damn near like my 250GP bike.

- Roach

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Well I view engine braking from a semi truck stand point. But I figured that the decel aspect was what they were trying to ask about... just a mismatched term.

Why don't you explain what you mean by engine braking on a MC...

·
Registered
667 Posts
It was my impression that engine braking was "actuating the clutch/downshifting through the gears" slowing to a stop as opposed to "pull clutch/downshifting but not letting out the clutch/actuate brakes" slow to a stop. It appears that engine braking may be more complicated than that.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts