Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy my friends 2004 F4i w/ 1200 miles on it. I decided to do some research and I came across this 'review' by one gentlemen. I am not sure what year his bike was, it could have been an 2002? Just want to run this by you fellow f4i owners and get your two sence.

This is what he wrote:

""This is my 4th bike and I will say one thing, I will give this bike kudos on handling and power band. The look isn't too bad either. You will still get a good look on the freeway and other riders. I have had my new F4I for about a month now and I say up until yesterday I WAS really enjoying my new bike. I had noticed at 3-4 rmps I get a rattle out of the engine. Called the dealer and talked to a garage monkey and found out that the CBR's are prone to Cam Chain Tensioner noise. I was really hot about this because this noise started only after 1,200 miles! I start digging around on the internet and found out this is a common problem. It seems you have to do this frequently or just deal with something that keeps getting louder than a Yoshi Pipe! Talk about crappy engines. Can anybody steer me to a bike that doesn't need repairs after 1,200 miles!?""

· Registered
2,394 Posts
My CBR makes the cam chain tensioner (CCT) noise and I only have 49,000 miles on it. Damn you, Soichiro Honda. My CCT is in the engine, under the camshafts, and it's $110. But it only makes noise at idle. At 4,000 rpm, I could probably balance a nickel on it's edge on my gas tank. Anyway, the F4i's CCT is on the outside of the engine and easy to replace if you have to. Don't let the CCT scare you away from a fine motorcycle.

· V-Twin Moddin
39,300 Posts
This is a common porblem and most people will recommend a manual one. The last one you have to buy, the only catch... every once and a while you have to give it a little turn.... do a search for cct here on TWF and you'll find lots of info on it!

· Banned
6,147 Posts
I replaced 2 OEM CCT's in less than 7000 miles under warranty at the dealer...I put an APE Manual CCT on it over 7000 miles ago myself and no problems since...I think I bought the part on Ebay for around 50 bucks...

It is a simple fix...but it is tedious and time consuming...I think it took about 5 hours start to finish on my bike because of everything that had to be removed to get to it...

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okay so this doesn't seem to be as big of a deal as it was made to be.

So after a manual CCT is installed, from that point - how much of a Pain in the @$$ is it to mess with to give it, it's occasional turn to tune it...or is it going to take 5 hours each time.

I'm not familiar with maintaince with these bikes I'm used to working on ATV's and MX/Enduro bikes.

-Craig

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.