Two Wheel Forums banner

F4i, strange noise on decel

4K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  Gas Man 
#1 ·
Hey guys I need help. I posted this in the CBR forums but am going to try here. OK I'm gonna try to describe this the best I can to get some help. Bike is a 01 Honda CBR600F4i, 15K miles on the clock. I'm the original owner so I know everything thats been done to it. It is definately a gently ridden bike. No track time, 1/4 mile or otherwise. I just recently did the following: new plugs, APE manual cam chain tensioner (CCT), new filter, adjusted freeplay of throttle, changed oil filter and coolant.

The problem:: I noticed this tonight. Goodthing it was my second trip out. The first time I didnt notice probably because I had a head liner under my helmet which muffled my hearing. Upon closed throttle deceleration, I hear a chuff chuff sound that is RPM dependant. I can hear it in 1st gear probably from around 8K rpm - 3K RPM. If I open the throttle even a little, the sound seems to go away. It also seems to be OK if the engine has no load (i.e., revving in neutral).

If I clutch in and let the RPM's drop, the sound goes away so it has to be motor related. I can also get it to do a similar sound if I'm hard on the throttle then close throttle quickly, it will make the sound for a split second.

I think it might be the CCT. I tried my best to adjust it using the listening method, but I'm not sure if this is an indication that the tension is too loose or too tight. The bike's got great power, good throttle response, doesnt feel like any excess engine braking. If it is the damn CCT maybe I'll just go for the J22 part and sell the APE. For those who dont know this bike is notorious for a noisy auto CCT OEM. THe part has been updated to the J22, but others have used the manual adjuster.

I just parked my bike incase its something serious so I dont do any damage. Help!

See less See more
#2 ·
First off WELCOME!!

Always remember :twfrox:

Now, I would definately say that it's the CTT. It's the only thing that you did that would cause such noise!

I don't know much about those but maybe somebody else will!

SpeedWerks and LarryG would be able to help out for sure!

#4 ·
Cam chain tensioners failing on CBRs are very common. However, the sound isn't going to come and go. It most likely could be that. But without hearing it, we have to also ask if you have ever had the valve clearances checked? Either way, we would suggest taking it to a reputable mechanic and have it diagnosed. It's almost impossible to diagnose from a keyboard when it's a "noise" thing.

#5 ·
Speedwerks is right about trying to diagnose noises, but here's my view. Manually adjusting the cam chain will change the cam timing. I don't know if it's too loose or to tight, but I think you've advanced or retarded the cam timing slightly. I don't know about setting the tightness by ear, but can't you take the valve cover off and check the tightness of the cam chain?

#7 · (Edited)
I'd like to follow up on this, I think I've nailed it in the head.
The good news, it appears that it is not engine dependant ( :breaths sigh of relief: ). The frequency at which it "chuffled" was too short for a motor spinning 3000-15k rpm. I then did some looking, the drive chain was loose, real loose, almost 2" of slack. So I readjusted the slack and while doing so, I noticed there was a very tight spot in the chain. I tried to lube it out. Not only that the chain is now in the "replace now" zone, so it is time to replace the chain. Hopefully the sprockets are not worn as well.

I took it out for a spin and the noise stopped. A few miless down the road, it did it again, this time even with the clutch engaged and my coasting, so I'm 100% sure it is the drive chain.

The bad news, I adjusted and adjusted that manual CCT, then put the OEM part back on only to find out it wasn't even the problem. So now the manual CCT goes back on... oh well, live and learn. I'm good with automechanics but still learning my way around bikes. This forum has been great!

#8 ·
eric... glad to hear that there is no major medical needed!

However, you are about to create a MAJOR :nono: !!!! If you have to replace your chain you NEED/HAVE to replace the sprockets as well. They wear just as much as your chain and it's ALWAYS BEST to do them in sets...

#9 ·
Gas Man said:
eric... glad to hear that there is no major medical needed!

However, you are about to create a MAJOR :nono: !!!! If you have to replace your chain you NEED/HAVE to replace the sprockets as well. They wear just as much as your chain and it's ALWAYS BEST to do them in sets...
Thanks for the suggestion. I just ordered from www.sprocketcenter.com a DID X ring 525 chain, and some AFAM steel gears in the stock range. I thought about changing the gear ratio as well as the 520 chain, but for the conservative riding I do I dont really see a need to change them then pay another $100 to get the speedo recalibrated (it will bother me). The tool, lube chain and sprockets cost me close to $270... ack... this hobby is expensive :bash:

#10 ·
Glad you took the suggestion... it wasn't a coservative comment or something that is totally on the side of safety as much as reliability. The DiD chain is the only way to go. MAKE SURE YOU PROPERLY ROUND OVER THE DiD replaceable link. Use the chain break tool (that it sounds like you ordered)... if you don't IT WILL come off!

#11 ·
Gas Man said:
Glad you took the suggestion... it wasn't a coservative comment or something that is totally on the side of safety as much as reliability. The DiD chain is the only way to go. MAKE SURE YOU PROPERLY ROUND OVER THE DiD replaceable link. Use the chain break tool (that it sounds like you ordered)... if you don't IT WILL come off!
Come on Gas! You know your just a bossy no it all! j/k
Good advice!
If your not sure of how to do it. Take it to somebody that does.
Its expensive & dangerous if the master link comes apart! :2cents:

#12 ·
Hey I'm speaking from expierence.... the guy that put on my 1st DiD did it wrong and it came off on me at about 75mph!!! :yikes: It wasn't good! Let's just say this... bye bye water pump, sprocket cover, new tire hugger, new undertail!!!

#13 ·
Gas Man said:
Hey I'm speaking from expierence.... the guy that put on my 1st DiD did it wrong and it came off on me at about 75mph!!! :yikes: It wasn't good! Let's just say this... bye bye water pump, sprocket cover, new tire hugger, new undertail!!!
I would have made them pay the damage.
In one way or the other.:redevil:

#16 ·
Wanted to post an update- I got the chain, lube, sprockets and tool on Saturday via USPS. Put the parts in and went for a quick spin. Unfortunately I've come down with a bad cold so I havent been riding since its been really nice out.

From the quick spin around the block, my impressions was this: I never realized how much a chain could contribute to the ride and feel of the bike. It was less noisy, smoother, less vibration, even seemed more powerful. Felt like a new bike! That old chain was toast, there was so many frozen links on it. This time, I'm lubing the chain every 300 miles, cleaning every 1000, and after every wet ride, dry with compressed air, then lube.

#17 ·
Gas Man said:
Well it was a "buddy" of mine... but I got the insurance to pick up the tab under a comp claim... with a small twist on the story... damn semi truck re-treads! :whistle:

LOL not to hijack, but i "know" someone who once rubbed roadkill on damage that occured off roading... just to get the fur in the cracks, so the cops believe him when he called to say he hit a deer :D

:jacked:

#18 ·
pickle.of.doom said:
LOL not to hijack, but i "know" someone who once rubbed roadkill on damage that occured off roading... just to get the fur in the cracks, so the cops believe him when he called to say he hit a deer :D

:jacked:
That's a good idea... I'll rememeber that one!

#20 ·
Hey listen up MAN! I got my bike put down from the deer thing... but the bike never made contact with the deer... is the insurance going to believe the deer thing/story? Probably not! Put some fur and blood on it and they will have to!

#24 ·
jeeps84 said:
Maybe not you directly.
We all know the more claims made the higher our rates get.
See but that's the crock!! That's why we buy insurance... because we're too chicken crap to take the risk of not having it. They are the ones gambling that we don't need their services...so when they loose out on a hand (like poker) we shouldn't have to pay more premuims.... like that one Chris Rock movie... "down to earth"... insurance is like "if shyt happens" "if shyt happens they got us covered"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.