Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CALL YOUR SENATOR NOW!!!

PREVENT A FEDERAL HELMET LAW! Call/Write Your Senator Now! Take Action!

The AMA has learned that as soon as today (May 9, 2005) Senator Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) will offer an amendment to the transportation reauthorization bill (SAFE-TEA) that will re-institute a federal helmet mandate.

The amendment would penalize any state without a mandatory motorcycle helmet law for all riders by denying federal transportation and safety dollars to that state. Please write or call your Senator's office and tell them to vote "NO" on the Lautenberg helmet amendment!

States should be able to determine their respective helmet policy free from the threat of federal sanctions. Congress affirmed this as recently as 1995 in the National Highway System Act when they removed federal penalties placed on states without mandatory helmet laws.

Now, Senator Lautenberg is attempting to reinstate this form of federal coercion upon the states. That is why the AMA is encouraging you to contact your Senator and urge them to prevent a federal helmet mandate on motorcyclists by voting "NO" to the Lautenberg amendment within the SAFE-TEA bill.

Make your call now. Use the numbers provided below, or enter your zip code in the [following link] to write your Member of Congress.
AMA site
Here they go again. :bash:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
yeah but if they vote yes then most states might put the helmet law back into effect cause if they dont then they lose money. RIGHT or WRONG

the bill is sorta gonna screw us either way. vote no and then we still dont have a helmet law and ppl drive around without helmets like morans. vote yes and then they either put the helmet law back into effect or we loose money for safty issues.
so either way ur gonna take it right in the "pucker factor"

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Vote NO....although I always wear a helmet, I believe you should have a choice.

After all wasn't this country founded on freedom and the right to choose?

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
It is a nice freedom to have choice.
Some freedoms have been revoked for our safety. :sob:
The only problem I have with it, is losing another freedom. :2cents:

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
jeeps84 said:
It is a nice freedom to have choice.
Some freedoms have been revoked for our safety. :sob:
The only problem I have with it, is losing another freedom. :2cents:

:iagree: .... but, where is line drawn over who decides our safety? The great debate. :lol:

·
Registered
175 Posts
i always where my helmet but my dad doesnt and he is stubborn so all you can talk him into is a worthless shell so i would like to see it be mandatory. sometimes the goverment has to protect its people from themselves.

·
20,168 Posts
Yea, like why should I have to ware a seat belt in a cage?

I have ridden w/o a helmet around town and the beach.
I did it mostly just because I could. :redevil:
We have had a Helmet law in NC as long as I have been riding but SC is only 45 miles away and has no law. :angelhap:

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I think that helmets should be madatory depending on your age. I mean, like the government wants to make the drinking age lower because people are saying that if you can vote at 18, serve your country at 18 and you are considered a "grown up" or "adult" at 18 then why can't you drink at 18?

A helmet law, if any, should consist of that. What I think they should do in retrospect is make a mandatory driver's license age across the board. I know in like Georgia, Florida, Texas, Wyoming and Colorado, you can get your learners permit at like 15 and get the full/senior license at 16 or 17. New York and the surrounding area has it set at 17 and 16 for your permit. I think that should be anything if they decide to do something as far as operating any type of motor vehicle.

But I mean, helmets, sheesh, if you want to lose your life or become brain dead, that should be your choice! :bash: :2cents:

·
20,168 Posts
I like the helmet laws in Fl but its hard to enforce.
Something like your age and insurance coverage is required to ride w/o a helmet.
Not sure of the particulars.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I think they should vote YES... :sorry: I mean they already say we have to wear a seat belt and if you're not they can pull you over for just that!

Maybe this would stop my insurance from going up!

Either vote yes on this or repeal the seat belt law...pick one!

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,183 Posts
I wonder... Seems like helmet laws in places like FL or SD would destroy the big cruiser rallies like Sturgis or Daytona. Explain to the people that make their living off of catering to the bikers why they have noone coming to their festivals anymore. I could see it happening.

Personally though, couldn't care less, I will wear my helmet everywhere I go either way... on the bike that is :D

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I think it would be great to see that HD fest get all helmeted up!!

Think of all the money the city would make on helmet tickets!!!

F those non-helmet wearing HD punks!

·
20,168 Posts
Gas Man said:
I think it would be great to see that HD fest get all helmeted up!!

Think of all the money the city would make on helmet tickets!!!

F those non-helmet wearing HD punks!
Most the helmets that the HD riders ware around here and anywhere else that has the law isn't dot approved.
The local law doesn't even enforce it as long as they appear to have one on unless they get caught doing something stupid like drinking and riding.
Then its just one more ticket they can write.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
F' em!! Throw the book at those a-holes....

·
20,168 Posts
pickle.of.doom said:
I wonder... Seems like helmet laws in places like FL or SD would destroy the big cruiser rallies like Sturgis or Daytona. Explain to the people that make their living off of catering to the bikers why they have noone coming to their festivals anymore. I could see it happening.

Personally though, couldn't care less, I will wear my helmet everywhere I go either way... on the bike that is :D
I think it would have little effect on those event.
That $15 novelty helmet would probably go up to $100+. :lol:

·
Registered
543 Posts
pickle.of.doom said:
I'm thinking of wearing mine in the car too, so I can knock out the front window :skep:

I don't know, just feeling weird today :p

·
Contest Winner, '07 Rally Veteran , November 2007
7,649 Posts
or just lower the front window....(heart) jeep TJ

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Gas Man said:
Either vote yes on this or repeal the seat belt law...pick one!
My thoughts exactly. If they're going to enforce one, why not enforce the other?

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
I think you should have a choice, but I always choose to wear my helmet. Some states are permit and under 21 the helmet is required. I just don't see how people can ride without the helmet, or even an open faced helmet at that. All that wind on the face, I can't breathe like that, much less the bugs and rocks that always hit the helmet....geeze, better the helmet than my face..

1 - 20 of 38 Posts