Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
"Besides, there are already too many dumpy middle-aged guys racing on motorcycles, dreaming they're something they're not."

That's the only thing he got right. He left out the part where thare are too many dumpy middle-aged guys making a living off of nothing to write about.

**** him. Excuse my french.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
I just read the part where he said there will be no retraction. I wish you hadn't posted that Shan. . I'm trying to calm down before I send my email.
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
I think Shan or Matt should compose a response from TWF and it's many many members. I would be even willing to lend my writing skills.

This newspaper a-hold needs to get his arse handed to him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
Well, I cooled down and edited some things out for my email to Mr. Steinberg.

"I read your article about motorcycles and organ donation. Brilliant piece of writing!

People die everyday on motorcycles and in cars, that's life, and that's the risk people take when they decide to travel today's roads. It's refreshing to read a journalist that has not lost sight of this fact, nor his sense of humor. Hopefully you will laugh it off when you or your family is seriously hurt in an accident and share this with all of us. I'd hate to think that you are just another arbitrary wannabe writer hiding behind a column. Thanks for your time."
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I suspect he'll be deluged with responses.


EDIT: One of which is from me. I've invited him here to discuss his editorial. I doubt he will, but what the heck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,845 Posts
My response to idiot...

Here is what I emailed that clown, even if he never reads it I hope that you all enjoy it:

---------- Forwarded Message -----------
From: "double" <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:21:21 -0600
Subject: Response to your article - Hop on a motorcycle, fill out your donor
card

"Besides, there are already too many dumpy middle-aged guys racing on
motorcycles, dreaming they're something they're not."

Your article clearly shows your feeble attempt to baffle us with bs due to
an obvious lack of talent. It is quite apparent that the Chicago Sun-Times
has very low standards on whom they hire and let write for them. It is also
quite apparent that they must have a "Hire a junkie to write ignorant
articles" program to get them out of the methadone clinic and off the street
for 10 minutes a day. I would highly recommend that this program cease, as
it is a failure, and that they institute drug testing effective immediately.

I am a sportbike owner, something you writers might call a Japenese
bike "built for speed". I am quite tired of your pointed ignorant articles
on this subject. I ride with quite a few different people and talk to
people all over the country about riding motorcycles. The way you blow
the "built for speed" and how everyone that rides a motorcycle is a lunatic
is quite pathetic. I can count on one finger how many tickets have been
issued to every rider in our club this year - 1 total - not 1 each. If what
you say is true, why haven't we received more tickets? - maybe we
are "ninja" riders and haven't been caught yet? Maybe the Police are color
blind to the Honda Red or Yamaha Blue or Kawasaki Green that is blaringly
obvious to the normal non-cop human eye. Nobody in my riding circle has
died or has donated any organs this year. Why don't you look at how many
bloated too much money middle aged men drive sport cars and donate organs
from them as well. I am sure you would find the number is quite higher than
bikes.

Instead of showing your ignorance and writing about something that you don't
have a clue about - next time write about pathetic regret driven unfulfilled
absolutely no ability or talent whatsoever middle aged men who write for the
Chicago Sun-Times. That way your article would be definitely about
something you have a full and complete knowledge about. Or you could take
the easy route and just go back to being a homeless junkie on the Chicago
streets, that would most definitely suit you much better.

This has been a public service message brought to you by the Motorcycle
Riding Mfrs of America. TY & FY.
------- End of Forwarded Message -------
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
Perhaps someone should also forward these emails to the editor. Perhaps even as a editorial letter to the paper.Editorial Letters
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
Ok, just got here to work, and opened up TWF and whats the first new thread I click on!! WTF is this dude thinking, how in the hell can you possibly write anything so ludicrous and insensitive. Oh no doubt he'll be getting a letter from me! :bash: :rant: :cursin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
I'd be amazed if he has the attention span to make it to the end, but I hope he gets to the sign-off at least: TY & FY. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
OK, I've calmed down enough, and edited out enough 4 letter words to atleast hope that this dumba$$ will read my email thru to its entirety. OK, slim chance of that..but here's what I wrote.

Dear Mr. Steinberg:

I am writing in regards to the recent article in the Sun-Times, on Sept. 22, 2004, Titled: Hop on a motorcycle, fill out your donor card.

I find your article to be extremely appauling, repulsive, and with aboslutely no concern towards the feelings of motorcycle riders of america, and their families.

It has been proven time and time again, that the majority of accidents are caused by the perverbial "other guy" meaning, for every "speeding maniac", as you refer to us by, there are countless accidents happening every minute of the day where the car driver was in the wrong. Now, am I stating that all motorcyclists are always in the right, and never ride unsafe? Of course not, and the same can be said for everyone who drives a car as well. However, just because we prefer 2 wheels vs 4 wheels, does not give you the right to label us as "Fresh Meat".


I have been riding a motorcycle for the last 17 years and pride myself on safe riding, and promoting motorcycle safety. I also talk to many other riders on a daily basis all over the world who feel the same way. We who ride motorcycles, do it not because its romantic, or cool, or because we want the attention of every passer-by. We ride because we enjoy it, plain and simple. We enjoy every aspect of our way of life, and yes it is a way of life. We are well aware of the risks involved in riding and those of us that choose to ride safely and promote awareness of motorcycles today, are inherantly appauled by your lack of knowledge, and general smug attitude.

In addition, being an organ donor, shows your support for the human race, and is a personal & intimate decision that should be made after careful consideration and discussion with your loved ones. I see your article as a slap in the face to organ donors everywhere.

If you are going to write such an inhumane article, why limit it to just motorcyclists? There are far more auto-accidents every day in this country. People can be and are everyday, "speed maniacs" in their vehicles, and can just as easily, if not more easily, be some of your "Fresh Meat".

In conclusion, I would expect a full apology, via a retraction, for your unkind sentiments towards the motorcyclists of america and their families; but the fact that you are unwilling to do so, just re-enforces my opinion of you and makes me wonder how you sleep at night.

Regards,

Matt, PA. resident & motorcyclist.

PS. The fact that this article made it past your superiors, makes me question the quality of your newspaper to begin with.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mr Steinberg's response to me:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steinberg, Neil" <[email protected]>
To: "'Eric'" <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2004 2:49 PM
Subject: RE: http://www.suntimes.com/output/steinberg/cst-nws-stein22.html


>
>
> I think I've heard enough from your membership. Disappointing. I had no idea
> bikers were so thin-skinned.
>
> NS
>
> > ----------
> > From: Eric
> > Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2004 1:58 PM
> > To: [email protected]
> > Subject:
> > http://www.suntimes.com/output/steinberg/cst-nws-stein22.html
> >
> > Your naive notion of motorcycle riders as organ donors is laughable. I
> > sincerely hope it was an attempt at dark humor.
> >
> > I invite you to register on my site for a sprited discussion with our
> > membership.
> >
> > Eric Crigger
> > www.twowheelforum.com
> > Internet's Sportbike Community
> > [email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,845 Posts
Pigface1 said:
I'd be amazed if he has the attention span to make it to the end, but I hope he gets to the sign-off at least: TY & FY. :lol:
Yeah that is my favorite part.. :thumbs:

Matt, dude, that is an awesome letter. I wish I could have been so eloquent and had written a letter of that great magnitude summing up the thoughts of all riders but I couldn't resist to take the low road on this one. F***ing clown deserved some serious bashing.

:bash:

Plus it was more fun!!! :dthumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
double2000r6 said:
Yeah that is my favorite part.. :thumbs:

Matt, dude, that is an awesome letter. I wish I could have been so eloquent and had written a letter of that great magnitude summing up the thoughts of all riders but I couldn't resist to take the low road on this one. F***ing clown deserved some serious bashing.

:bash:

Plus it was more fun!!! :dthumb:
oh trust me, the first draft had so many 4 letter words it even made me cringe..and yes it was definately more fun to write, :dthumb: and helped me vent, so I could calm myslef down and write the other one. these people just shouldnt be allowed outta their own cage everyday!!!
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
Shan you GOT TO write back!!! I can't believe he responded to you!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,394 Posts
I used to respect the Chicago Sun-Times, but no more. Mr. Steinberg's article about motorcyclists is full of errors.

"Why are there many more heart transplants performed in the summer than in the winter?" I hunted for this information but could only find it listed by year. He may be right.

"You can't have heart transplants without donors, and motorcycles -- ridden in the summer but not in the winter -- are a great source of fresh, young, otherwise healthy organs." Pure bull. First of all, I ride my bike winter and summer. Secondly, "Donors have often died as a result of an automobile accident, a stroke, a gunshot wound, suicide, or a severe head injury." (from Medical College of Wisconsin, Healthlink).

"No sooner do I conjure up the image of Hog King Neil, racing his bike down the open road, 'Born to Be Wild' blaring on my personal soundtrack, than it is replaced by the twig, or pothole, or whatever would send me flipping into the guardrail, the flash of which would be my last sight on Earth." Firstly, If every motorcyclist who hit a pothole or twig flipped into a guardrail, every motorcyclist would be dead. Secondly, Mr. Steinberg obviously drives his car with a soundtrack, but since he's never been on a motorcycle, he can't know that there is no soundtrack.

"Besides, there are already too many dumpy middle-aged guys racing on motorcycles, dreaming they're something they're not." First of all, I'm past middle-age, I'm not dumpy, and I never dream when I'm on my bike, but most of the SUV drivers do when they are on the phone. Secondly, how does he know that middle-aged riders are racing on motorcycles. Motorcycle deaths have gone up because of the rapid rise of SUV's on the road.

I don't see any facts to this article. Mr. Steinberg or his editor should have checked the facts before they published this garbage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
No Worries said:
but since he's never been on a motorcycle

I don't see any facts to this article. Mr. Steinberg or his editor should have checked the facts before they published this garbage.
exactly..dont write about something you know nothing about!!!


they should have checked to see if they're brains were still intact as well. :bash:
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
Well as you said he may be right about the organ donatin being increased during the summer. However, not to state the obvious again, but there are ALOT of sports that are played during the summer and not the winter. What about rock climbing in person or in vechicle. Or sky diving, evil conieval cr*p, car drag racing, car racing, car demoltion events, indoor dirtbike, people pulling their pride n joy hot rods out for some good ole fashion street racing! The list goes on and on and on!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
just another critic who knows nothing about our enjoyment. wants to, but just doesn't have the balls.... F him and his kind...

you guys wrote some good letters. mine would have been riddled with MF FU $h! type
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top