Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my RX-7 Corsair helmet from the shop (that was hand delivered by the Arai rep because he wanted to make sure it was not damaged), and this is the lightest helmet I have ever held short of a CF model. I can't wait to go for a spin with it. Fit and feel is perfect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,339 Posts
That helemt is sweet.:dthumb: I take it you got the red color scheme to match the ninja?


I am also looking at an Arai Helmet. You say its a a good fit? Right now, Im borrowing a Shoei TZ1. ITs a few years old, but it was used like twice. It fit and feels great. Not much ventilation though, and its a little heavy. I have yet to try an Arai, but everyone that has one says they are the best. They are also one of the most expensive, but I dont care when it comes to helmets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
snadamo said:
That helemt is sweet.:dthumb: I take it you got the red color scheme to match the ninja?


I am also looking at an Arai Helmet. You say its a a good fit? Right now, Im borrowing a Shoei TZ1. ITs a few years old, but it was used like twice. It fit and feels great. Not much ventilation though, and its a little heavy. I have yet to try an Arai, but everyone that has one says they are the best. They are also one of the most expensive, but I dont care when it comes to helmets.

Yeah, I paid $700+ for mine. I got the Wraith Red helmet. It has a scheme that fades from red to orange to yellow. It was as close to the color of my bike I could find. As for ventilation...You can feel air coming into the helmet from ever vent hole on the surface.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,339 Posts
HISSMAN said:
Yeah, I paid $700+ for mine. I got the Wraith Red helmet. It has a scheme that fades from red to orange to yellow. It was as close to the color of my bike I could find. As for ventilation...You can feel air coming into the helmet from ever vent hole on the surface.

:jd: Thats a lot of $$$! Well i know the corsair is the top of the line, I was thinking the one below it. Cant think of the name. Im trying to find one that has a black and yellow color scheme like my bike. But ill take an arai helmet in any color. ALthough I will try one on first before I go spent all that $$$$. You still have a sweet helmet nevertheless... :cheers:
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
10,104 Posts
Give us a review after you've had a chance to ride with it for some time. :dthumb: That's cool the Arai rep hand dleivered it to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
893 Posts
snadamo said:
I am also looking at an Arai Helmet. You say its a a good fit? Right now, Im borrowing a Shoei TZ1.
I can tell you now that if the Shoei fits you great, than the Arai will not fit you properly. My guess is you'll get a big cherry spot right on your forehead. You either have an "Arai" head or a "Shoei" head...I've never met someone who has both. :) If you do try an Arai, make sure to wear it for a good bit of time before you buy it...my guess is that it'll start to bother you if you have a "Shoei" head.
:dthumb:

--Laura
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ShanMan14 said:
Give us a review after you've had a chance to ride with it for some time. :dthumb: That's cool the Arai rep hand dleivered it to you.

No problem. I have only had a chance to wear it for about 35 miles so far, but I can hardly tell it is even on my head. It is so damn light, and very comfortable for me. It is very snug through the lower jaw area, but I like that. There is no way you can chew gum while wearing it, at least not yet. :) I will update everyone as it gets broken in a bit more.

Oh, and when you tuck down it is very aerodynamic. It is while you are upright as well, but at 90MPH there is absolutely no buffetting from the wind, and you can really feel the air jetting through the vents and cooling your scalp.
 

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
Joined
·
20,168 Posts
SpeedWerks.com said:
I can tell you now that if the Shoei fits you great, than the Arai will not fit you properly. My guess is you'll get a big cherry spot right on your forehead. You either have an "Arai" head or a "Shoei" head...I've never met someone who has both. :) If you do try an Arai, make sure to wear it for a good bit of time before you buy it...my guess is that it'll start to bother you if you have a "Shoei" head.
:dthumb:

--Laura
:iagree:
I prefer the fit of the Shoei and my wife prefers the Arai.
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
jeeps84 said:
:nopicsbs:
Had to before Gas does it! :lol:
Thanks Jeeps... and that's a good looking helmet!!

13
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,339 Posts
SpeedWerks.com said:
I can tell you now that if the Shoei fits you great, than the Arai will not fit you properly. My guess is you'll get a big cherry spot right on your forehead. You either have an "Arai" head or a "Shoei" head...I've never met someone who has both. :) If you do try an Arai, make sure to wear it for a good bit of time before you buy it...my guess is that it'll start to bother you if you have a "Shoei" head.
:dthumb:

--Laura

This would probably explain why my buddy bought the Shoei, wore it twice, and then bought the Arai. He said its not as comfortable as the Arai. Mind you the TZ1 is a few years older, but he said it was unconfortable for him. Yet its not unconfortable for me. Ive been looking into Shoei's since you wrote this. Obviously they have made dramatic upgrades in the past couple years from the TZ1. Ill probably go Shoei, but Im going to try on both brands and see which ones gonna work.
 

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
Joined
·
4,183 Posts
I must have a Shoei head too, which must be close to an HJC head. HJC's always did me good, and my Shoei (also a TZ1 snad :dthumb: ) fits like a dream. Trying on an Arai, not sure which model, it did seem to feel like putting my own helmet on sideways.
 

·
March 2007 BOTM Winner!
Joined
·
237 Posts
Then I have a messed up head!

I used to own a 2001 Arai Quantum F Haga. It was a very comfortable helmet. I went to get a new helmet this year so naturally, I went to Arai again. I tried on the RX-7 Corsair. I liked the fit, but didn't feel as comfy as the Quantum I used to have. I tried on the medium, but it felt a little tight, so I had to go to a large size now. I heard Arai changed the sizing around of late.

For cracks and giggles, I tried on the Shoei X11 in a medium, and a large (which was waaay to big). Well, I'll be darned. The medium fit really well! In fact, it felt better than the Corsair to me.

So, I managed to pick up an as-new X11 Norick Abe helmet for $320 on Ebay. I got the gold iridium shield and I love the helmet! Good aerodynamics and excellent venting. Oh, and extremely light too and quite quiet. I'm a happy camper.

But that Corsair's a nice lid too!! How come you paid $700 for it? That's full-whack retail, is it not? Don't want to rain on your parade, but there are lots of places that you can get it for a lot less than what you paid.

As an example, my good friend Webb recently got a brand new RX7 Corsair Roberts Double Eagle for $399.
 

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
Joined
·
20,168 Posts
I bet he didn't shop around.

Most dealers will hit you with full retail unless you get the in a price match war. :whistle:
 

·
March 2007 BOTM Winner!
Joined
·
237 Posts
I know. I mean, I don't want to make any assumptions here about why he paid that much, but there is absolutely no reason to pay full retail on ANYTHING these days, unless it is a special edition and the dealer can price gouge b/c the customers are willing to pay a premium to get the product.

But the RX-7 Wraith is not a limited item. It's a production helmet and readily available. It's been on the market over a year now. Even in the UK, which is more expensive than the US market, you can get the RX-7's for $500-570 USD.

You can find the Wraith RX-7's on Ebay from very reputable sellers (dealers) for anywhere b/w $440-500 plus minimal shipping. $700 plus is STEEEEEEEEP! Bet the dealer took his family out to a nice dinner after THAT sale!

Sorry Hissman. But I think you got ripped a new one by that dealer. No wonder the Arai rep delivered it personally after you paid full whack for it!!

Cheers,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,339 Posts
pickle.of.doom said:
I must have a Shoei head too, which must be close to an HJC head. HJC's always did me good, and my Shoei (also a TZ1 snad :dthumb: ) fits like a dream. Trying on an Arai, not sure which model, it did seem to feel like putting my own helmet on sideways.
:cheers: I love the TZ1 helmet im borrowing too! Id keep the tz1 im using but its not mine and Its a Large and slightly loose (i throw a beanine on and its perfectly snug). Oh and also its not mine and the owner wants it back as soon as I get my helmet in a couple weeks. Im looking at the Ztwo Strada TC-3 series and the RF1000 series...Im leaning towards the RF-1000. Ill have to try them on first.

strada TC-3
Voltage TC-3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
893 Posts
Be careful if you find an Arai online. I will have to double check with Roach, but I believe if you have one shipped to you, it voids the manufacturers warranty. Arai only wants dealers to sell their products at full list. I will double check with Roach and find out the deal, but I know that's why we won't carry them. We're not into manufacturers that like to price fix, even though they are incredible helmets!!!!

--Laura
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top