Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Captain Morgan said:
Oh, I know what your point is. Your point is the fact that the guy is an idiot for starting on a liter bike and he's even more ignorant for stating that he doesn't "have the money to start small". It's like he thinks he's going to buy a new bike within a few months. Now, if he starts out on a 250, then yeah, he'll probably want to step up rather fast. But if he starts out on a 500 or 600, he'll be a little better off. He SHOULD spend less on a bike and make sure that he still has enough money to buy all of the proper gear before getting on the bike. You probably should go into the thread and flame him, then flame the squids that are giving him support for starting on a liter bike.

:here: :noob:
Any Suggestions for a girl's bike to start out with just curious ?

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
foxracergirl said:
:here: :noob:
Any Suggestions for a girl's bike to start out with just curious ?
start up a thread in everyday riding & general discussion, and ask..you'll get some great answers to your question. :dthumb:

**UPDATE>>Just did it for ya! :thumbs:

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
bumblebee said:
I have found a good rule of thumb to be to not start off for your first motorcycle with something that weighs more than 2.25 times your weight and has more HP at the rear wheel than twice your age!

Really... I am 29 and have 136HP on the rear tire. Opps. :lol:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
GSXR750DJ said:
Really... I am 29 and have 136HP on the rear tire. Opps. :lol:
but that isnt your first motorcycle either.... :smash: Geez my first one was a Rebel 450..probably had 2 HP to the rear wheel!! :lol:

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
but that isnt your first motorcycle either.... :smash: Geez my first one was a Rebel 450..probably had 2 HP to the rear wheel!! :lol:

True...My first street bike was a 1994 SuzukiRF900RR. It had 118hp. Loved that bike.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
GSXR750DJ said:
True...My first street bike was a 1994 SuzukiRF900RR. It had 118hp. Loved that bike.

well ur just all about breaking the rules or safe riding there arent ya!! :lol:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good starter bike? I really do like the looks of the SV650S..., still get that sportbike look, but not all the power. I think it's a nice bike!

Back to topic..., yeah, this kid is D-U-M dumb. Apologies to anyone on a liter bike ahead of time..., but honestly, I think I've meet 1 amatuer rider, maybe 2, that could handle a liter bike the way it's meant to be handled and riden..., for everyone else, a 600 is more than fine. Again, I'm not trying to call anyone out, but really look at it. Shiat..., I want a new R1 bad, and I know damn well I can't ride it to the max.

For this kid to think a 6 is starting out small..., ugh..., no comment..., ignorance is bliss, I suppose....

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Well, actually, many will tell you that most people don't even ride their 600 to it's limits. I know Twisty will agree!

I'll ride my 9R to it's top speed limit but as far as pushin it as hard as it can take, not even close! But I have fun nevertheless!!

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
foxracergirl...Mudpuppy said it best. All 3 of his choices are great. The Kat 600 would be a great ride for you to get and start with. The 250 you would grow out of fast and get bored with. The 500 would be my second choice for you. But all and all the Kat 600 is great. Matt(N4S) has a 750 Kat and he will tell you they are wonderful to ride. They may not be the fastest bike out there in the street, but he and I both know they aren't slow either. He keeps up with the best of them.(except on twisty's...lol)

The Kat is a sport touring bike. So you are going to save a few bucks just right there in insurence. The Kat moves and moves quick. You will not get bored with it. :dthumb:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
GSXR750DJ said:
foxracergirl...Mudpuppy said it best. All 3 of his choices are great. The Kat 600 would be a great ride for you to get and start with. The 250 you would grow out of fast and get bored with. The 500 would be my second choice for you. But all and all the Kat 600 is great. Matt(N4S) has a 750 Kat and he will tell you they are wonderful to ride. They may not be the fastest bike out there in the street, but he and I both know they aren't slow either. He keeps up with the best of them.(except on twisty's...lol)

The Kat is a sport touring bike. So you are going to save a few bucks just right there in insurence. The Kat moves and moves quick. You will not get bored with it. :dthumb:

Thanks for the props DJ...everyone is right on those choices..unless you are very inexperienced, you wont need to start out on 250, IMO...They are great first bikes, but you will grow out of it quickly. The 500 ninja would treat you well for sure. I like the 600 kats..they are very forgiving, and good stable bike. I know many experienced riders who are quite happy with their 600 kats. You cant go wrong with them ! the sport-tourer style is not as aggressive, however the 600's are a bit more aggressive ergo wise, than the 750's believe it or not.

Either way, you'd be quite happy with a 600 kat..or even an older cbr 600f2 as well.

then when you're ready, you'll be able to move up to the R6 that mudpuppy is itching to tell you about!

:luck:

UPDATE*** KatanaPilot, a member here and a KatRider member as well, is shown here on a 600 kat, to give you an idea of the style.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
They've all been good suggestions, but you want to find a bike that fits you. The best thing to do is go to the Cycle World International Motorcycle Show in Washington DC on January 14-16, 2005. http://show.motorcycleshows.com/IMSBrandManager/V40/index.cvn There will be every brand of bike you can think of. Sit on all of them and see what feels best. Then buy a new one or a used one. :2cents:

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
I love the SV 650! Looks great, runs great, handles ???? well. Some room for improvement there! :rolleyes:
As a NEWBIE You will never now! at least for the first year or so!
The great thing about the SV is you can get full plastic (SV 650 S only) and really upgrade the suspension and motor as your skill level improves. :dthumb:

My wife started on a SV but, now rides a Gixxer 600. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
jeeps84 said:
I love the SV 650! Looks great, runs great, handles ???? well. Some room for improvement there! :rolleyes:
As a NEWBIE You will never now! at least for the first year or so!
The great thing about the SV is you can get full plastic (SV 650 S only) and really upgrade the suspension and motor as your skill level improves. :dthumb:

My wife started on a SV but, now rides a Gixxer 600. ;)
As stated earlier, I second that thought. Good, stable, not quite as aggressive bike with the room and aftermarket to improve accordingly.

Gas Man: True dat about folks even being able to ride a 6..., in my opinion, unless you're pulling times to compete with Duhammel or Zemke, no need for more cc's....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey girl.... suggestion from a female rider that just started riding this year.... i love my lil gs500 (suzuki)... i'm bored with it now, but am definately happy with learning on it!! The first thing... at least over a katana, im sure, is that its lighter (373 lbs is what mine weighs... 93) Not too much power (obviously), but i've been hangin with all the big boys all summer..... they lose me on the interstate, but thats a given with a small bike.... It handles GREAT!! I hang with the big boys on the twisties too!! Mine is a 93... its a gs500e, no front plastics.... the '04's are gs500f's, they have full ferrings.... i've never ridden one, but i think theyre a little heavier.. theyre wider for sure... same motor for sure. Attatching a pic for u. Don't pay any attention to the scratches!! had a lil accident!!

Also recommend something a little older..... i spent 2 grand on mine (93 w 7000 miles) and I'm glad i didnt spend more!! (back to the had a lil accident thing again... lol)

DirtyDave... how r u doing man... were u here before??? He can tell u that i can hang on the twisties, huh!!

She's got some get up and go.... definately good starter bike... and definately recommend the abate course!!

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
SuzukiGirlNichole said:
Hey girl.... suggestion from a female rider that just started riding this year.... i love my lil gs500 (suzuki)... i'm bored with it now, but am definately happy with learning on it!! The first thing... at least over a katana, im sure, is that its lighter (373 lbs is what mine weighs... 93) Not too much power (obviously), but i've been hangin with all the big boys all summer..... they lose me on the interstate, but thats a given with a small bike.... It handles GREAT!! I hang with the big boys on the twisties too!! Mine is a 93... its a gs500e, no front plastics.... the '04's are gs500f's, they have full ferrings.... i've never ridden one, but i think theyre a little heavier.. theyre wider for sure... same motor for sure. Attatching a pic for u. Don't pay any attention to the scratches!! had a lil accident!!

Also recommend something a little older..... i spent 2 grand on mine (93 w 7000 miles) and I'm glad i didnt spend more!! (back to the had a lil accident thing again... lol)

DirtyDave... how r u doing man... were u here before??? He can tell u that i can hang on the twisties, huh!!

She's got some get up and go.... definately good starter bike... and definately recommend the abate course!!
I agree with one thing - Ride it like you stole it. You haven't rode with the "big" boys until you hit the roads of the D with WOS girly girl.. Don't be silly..

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
wow has this thread ever taken off!! :cheers:

all great suggestions!! Nichole, thats a pretty good little review of the gs500...My wife is considering one of those for her first bike as well! Maybe we can work something out when youre ready to move up to a different bike.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts